So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like expensive scotch

7e3892146a245a6f30e6da4ee6b2f45d.jpg

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you get what you pay for. :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but why pay big money for the best when you can get perfectly good pie cheap. :laughing7:

Expensive pies are deeper and taste better.....;-)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Expensive pies have more ingredients! You will need an expanded pallet to be able to taste them :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good analogy (Thanks Higgy!) Mrs. Smith's apple pie has the same nutrients as Grandma B's. But they taste soooooo different.

cojo

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a hobby.... people will pay whatever they can/want to do it. Look at Rc airplanes...you can easily get into it for $500.00....but don't you really want the 20k jet?

i do.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$500? I have a couple "sport models" with chainsaw engines at $1,500 easy and a member of our club does jets - $8,000 to $12,000 for his (they burn JP-4 jet fuel, even). Plus the transmitters cost as much as good detectors.

I have an 85" wingspan electric motor "foamie" that cost $500.
DSCN1429_zpsdbebeda6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
$500? I have a couple "sport models" with chainsaw engines at $1,500 easy and a member of our club does jets - $8,000 to $12,000 for his (they burn JP-4 jet fuel, even). Plus the transmitters cost as much as good detectors.

View attachment 1108259

That is cool!!!!, It looks like landing the seaplane on water would take a little doing,
I know how difficult it is to fly models such as yours

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Tim it's not your job or anyone else to tell me or anyone else what we can buy or what we shouldn't buy or to attack members for buying a $2500 detector. It is our money so we can spend it anyway we wish.

No one is trying to one up anyone.....You say " enjoy the hobby" that is what members are doing, they are enjoying the hobby with the detector of their choice that they spent their money on.

This thread was started to bash and it is getting real old...

I can guarantee you, the thread wasn't started with intent to bash. I would know.
The thread was started because I noticed that relatively expensive industry standard equipment seemed to be intentionally designed and built under par with similarly priced modern consumer electronics.
I purchased and extensively use some of the equipment that I write about to the tune of about $5700 total.

I don't claim to be an expert on any particular subject.
When I do express myself I am usually spot on, and am certainly entitled to an opinion.

I am surprised more people don't agree with me.

Maybe most of the responses come from dealers.
Perhaps those who know and feel the same things I do, don't express their opinions because they simply don't want to rock the boat.

All things considered I'm impressed you've participated in the debate. You are certainly entitled to an opinion and the current scenario is certainly beneficial to many very smart (shrewd?) people who make a living from the industry.

Perhaps some day their customers will also benefit from my sentiments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you get what you pay for. :tongue3:

And sometimes when you buy a metal detector you don't. Pa da puuuummmmm...... Thank you and good night............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1108259

You could just buy a balsa glider, for $2.00, no one needs a $500 -$12,000 model plane. You could enjoy the hobby the same with a balsa plane, it does the same thing, it flies. ......;-)

uploadfromtaptalk1421754693095.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can guarantee you, the thread wasn't started with intent to bash. I would know.
The thread was started because I noticed that relatively expensive industry standard equipment seemed to be intentionally designed and built under par with similarly priced modern consumer electronics.
I purchased and extensively use some of the equipment that I write about to the tune of about $5700 total.

I don't claim to be an expert on any particular subject.
When I do express myself I am usually spot on, and am certainly entitled to an opinion.

I am surprised more people don't agree with me.

Maybe most of the responses come from dealers.
Perhaps those who know and feel the same things I do, don't express their opinions because they simply don't want to rock the boat.

All things considered I'm impressed you've participated in the debate. You are certainly entitled to an opinion and the current scenario is certainly beneficial to many very smart (shrewd?) people who make a living from the industry.

Perhaps some day their customers will also benefit from my sentiments.

Responses are not from dealers, dealers have tags saying so or their username says so like KellycoChris.

You ever think it might be that many more just don't agree with you.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
You could just buy a balsa glider, for $2.00, no one needs a $500 -$12,000 model plane. You could enjoy the hobby the same with a balsa plane, it does the same thing, it flies. ......;-)

View attachment 1108380

No one needs the $2- balsa, if they have a piece of paper, they could 'roll their own' for free.

When I was a kid, we bought those balsa planes for like 19 or 29 cents. We would pedal/push our bikes 2 mile to the top of the mountain. Then climb an 150 ft fire tower. Put the plane together and give it a toss. No matter which direction we sent them, they would circle right back and slam the tower, fall apart and flutter to the ground. We invested a couple hours of work for a couple seconds of fun. I guess it was fun, because for some reason we would try it again another day with the same outcome.
I never had any RC planes. But I do know those ten dollar RC cars aren't as much fun as our nitro trucks.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Fletch, I am very loyal to o my Fisher(s). I don't normally hunt deeper than 5 inches. I have dug targets much deeper than 10 inches with my medium priced machine. Could a more expensive detector hurt me, not the excal with its iron discriminating technology. Deep is over rated. By the time you dig that deep hole for that pull tab or zincoln, I have dug 3 or more targets. Odds are in my favor digging more shallow holes that I will find more keepers due to shear numbers. I do believe the more expensive machines are more sensitive and accurate. But not one person has said anything about customer support. While the cost of a few pounds of plastic beads to make my detector is under a buck. The making of the mold, the start up of the plastic injection mold process is in the thousands of dollars. The engineers who designed and test the detector time is priceless. The style, weight, components and such is also a testimony of each manufacturer. Buy what you are comfortable and can afford. The older guys here hate to see you new guys buy into the hype and waste money for a detector you will use twice and sell on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread