So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I like expensive pie, not the cheap pie, it is flat and bland...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

My metal detectors are tools, I want them well-built, well inovated and well thought out, not just expensive.
Expensive pie? You can buy that with discretionary income.
Discretionary income is for our toys and things that bring us joy, not necessarily for our tools, though they sometimes bring us joy also, I expect much more from my tools then from my toys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
My metal detectors are tools, I want them well-built and well thought out, not just expensive.
Discretionary income is for our toys and things that bring us joy, not necessarily for our tools, though they sometimes bring us joy also, I expect much more from my tools then from my toys.

You guys make it too easy, I feel like the Yoda of treasurenet

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair enough, LOL....

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
While I didn't sift through the previous 49 pages, I'll take a chance that it may have already been said and I'll just repeat it. ;)

Those other electronics you mentioned have definitely come down in price, However, those TV's, Microwave ovens and so forth don't have a chance of making your money back many times over. My first detector was a garage sale find and I paid $10 for it. It was an old, old machine and it didn't work very well and had more knobs on it than I knew what to do with. It did work well enough to get me interested in the hobby and the next year I used my tax refund to buy a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Within the first month I found a $5,000 mens diamond ring in 4" of hard dirt. The ring was never claimed and I sold it. It more than paid for my detector. That new TV I have has never made me a nickel, but has cost me a fortune in time spent watching it. I've used all my clad to partially fund vacations and pay for gas to go detecting. I don't ever see myself spending $5k on one though...

Good luck to you guys!!!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My metal detectors are tools, I want them well-built, well inovated and well thought out, not just expensive.

You must be buying the wrong kind of detectors, mine are "well-built, well innovated and well thought out", another free hint, don't buy the cheap tools in the dollar store either..

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You must be buying the wrong kind of detectors, mine are "well-built, well innovated and well thought out", another free hint, don't buy the cheap tools in the dollar store either..

You know what I'm buying, you followed this thread long enough to know exactly which three detectors I own.
Only one, meets the above criteria, it's extremely durable, well thought out, and very very good at what it does,
Unfortunately it's not worth a dime anywhere near trash, but that's Ok.
If you want to dig it all it gives you that option.
It opened the world of gold prospecting to me and that's what I wanted and needed.
Pulse induction has its place, and I don't feel that at $2300 it was at all overpriced. Probably because I'm so happy with its design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know what I'm buying, you followed this thread long enough to know exactly which three detectors I own.
Only one, meets the above criteria, it's extremely durable, well thought out, and very very good at what it does,
Unfortunately it's not worth a dime anywhere near trash, but that's Ok.
If you want to dig it all it gives you that option.
It opened the world of gold prospecting to me and that's right what I needed.
Pulse induction has its place, and I don't feel that a $2300 it was at all overpriced.

Now the other two (one runs about $1000 retail the other $2500), are both also very capable, but both are strangely lacking in different ways
I modified the shaft on one of them using electrical PVC and an electrical hinge fitting.
now it folds, I don't have to drive a Cadillac or a pick up truck to take it wherever I'm going.

The alternative was taking it apart and putting it back together every time I used it. Or just leaving it in the backseat for the whole world to see.
Well thought out? Are you for real?
Do you ever actually use your equipment? Are you kidding me?
Who is the professor? Who is the brain surgeon who designed that?
None of you find this lacking?
None of you have asked yourselves, why does this thing in its standard form always have to be 5 feet long?
Its not a cheap tool. It cost a lot of money.
I didn't purchase it with discretionary income.

When I use it I'm on a mission.
I expect it to make sense. I expect the people that design and manufacture it to have more experience than I do.
Do you think at the manufactures level a remedy would've taken any effort at all if they actually had any respect for the end users?
Do you think they put a lot of thought into "a day in the life of" their customers??

Then why, please explain to me, do I have to carry it to some of the most remote places on earth, while all the while it measures over 5 feet long?

Are you kidding me?
Are you going to argue with me?

Now you're going to write something like "I like good beer"and then get another 37 likes

Well, in the meantime, no.
The equipment presently offered as standard state of the art by the major manufacturers in general is not well innovated, well thought out and well built and neither is yours.
It's generally overpriced and is lacking in many many ways,
For a few hundred dollars it wouldn't be, for $2500 yeah, it's lacking.

It is lacking intentionally. The manufacturers know that spending an extra dollar to highly improve the devices is not warranted and will simply detract $1 from their bottom line. Their customers wouldn't notice or appreciate the the improvements anyway.

Most of you are buying the ads and the hype, not the equipment.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You seem pretty passionate about it, why not open a business and put all your ingenuity to work and drive some innovation into the metal detector industry and make some cash while your at it? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lotta competition so there's no real need to innovate. In the end they are companies that are in it to make money. You can argue that the equipment isn't up to par until your blue in the face but it won't help anything.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You seem pretty passionate about it, why not open a business and put all your ingenuity to work and drive some innovation into the metal detector industry and make some cash while your at it? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lotta competition so there's no real need to innovate. In the end they are companies that are in it to make money. You can argue that the equipment isn't up to par until your blue in the face but it won't help anything.
If it was any worse, I would. I don't have the background to manufacture metal detectors. I can't really write what actually needs to be said without taking a vacation, but I don't make metal detectors, its just not what I do, I will occasionally let my voice be heard in hopes of improving the hunting experience.
Others? not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While I didn't sift through the previous 49 pages, I'll take a chance that it may have already been said and I'll just repeat it. ;)

Those other electronics you mentioned have definitely come down in price, However, those TV's, Microwave ovens and so forth don't have a chance of making your money back many times over. My first detector was a garage sale find and I paid $10 for it. It was an old, old machine and it didn't work very well and had more knobs on it than I knew what to do with. It did work well enough to get me interested in the hobby and the next year I used my tax refund to buy a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Within the first month I found a $5,000 mens diamond ring in 4" of hard dirt. The ring was never claimed and I sold it. It more than paid for my detector. That new TV I have has never made me a nickel, but has cost me a fortune in time spent watching it. I've used all my clad to partially fund vacations and pay for gas to go detecting. I don't ever see myself spending $5k on one though...

Good luck to you guys!!!

If you did, it wouldn't be any more portable. Its 5 feet long too.

Do these guys ever hunt beyond their front porches?

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

The cheap tools at the dollar store cost a dollar, not $2500.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F-75 has a three piece shaft with spring-loaded button locks and twist-tight collars over those. Pretty easy to either break it down (leave the cable attached) or just telescope it shorter. Or just put it sideways as-is in the back of my RAV4 under the sunshade in the rear.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All mine collapse and can also be disassembled very quickly .

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some things are overrated and a waste of money. I would definitely say that a 2k detector is a waste of money. A 2k detector is NOT 10 times better than a $200 detector. Just my opinion and NOT an "attack" on anyone here.

I have spent $1000 on a car and also spent $10k on a car. Yes, the 10k car was 10 times better than the 1k car.

A $40 bottle of wine is 10 times better than a $4 bottle of wine.

A $50 meal is 10 times better than a $5 meal.

I am a frugal Yankee, but I also understand the difference between cheap and quality. I just don't see a big quality difference between a 2k detector and a $200 one.

I used to have a 1971 Plymouth Satellite. Lost it in the divorce. Sure miss her. The car, not the ex.:laughing7:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All mine collapse and can also be disassembled very quickly .
LOL, Yeah, I know, of course they are collapsible, for the most part they are cheap plastic or metal shafts with cables wrapped around them about 15 times.

That is what you are expected to do. You have been doing it so long it's normal for you.
You have gotten very very good at taking your metal detector apart, throwing it in the trunk of your car, and then putting it back together again when you're ready to use it

The manufacturer feels you deserve to do just that every single time you use it and they know you will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My F-75 has a three piece shaft with spring-loaded button locks and twist-tight collars over those. Pretty easy to either break it down (leave the cable attached) or just telescope it shorter. Or just put it sideways as-is in the back of my RAV4 under the sunshade in the rear.

They could've gotten you to pay more, and they probably soon will.
The issue is starting to get addressed, cars are smaller, they no longer would fit into the average vehicle.

The issues regarding technology however remain largely unchanged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread