So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Ditto - bought it new in 2000.

Now THE ADMIRAL and I have a 17 foot open sailboat (used) we keep in the driveway. The little boat cost in total what it cost us in marina fees, maintenance and insurance annually on the 34 footer.

Some low-life stole our kayaks two years ago. Probably will replace them . . . eventually.

I live by the water. Have two other Kayla on property that my friend stores. Another friend wants to drop his kayak off as well. I should start renting them. Sorry about your loss. Your new boat sounds ideal.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Fletch, I am very loyal to o my Fisher(s). I don't normally hunt deeper than 5 inches. I have dug targets much deeper than 10 inches with my medium priced machine. Could a more expensive detector hurt me, not the excal with its iron discriminating technology. Deep is over rated. By the time you dig that deep hole for that pull tab or zincoln, I have dug 3 or more targets. Odds are in my favor digging more shallow holes that I will find more keepers due to shear numbers. I do believe the more expensive machines are more sensitive and accurate. But not one person has said anything about customer support. While the cost of a few pounds of plastic beads to make my detector is under a buck. The making of the mold, the start up of the plastic injection mold process is in the thousands of dollars. The engineers who designed and test the detector time is priceless. The style, weight, components and such is also a testimony of each manufacturer. Buy what you are comfortable and can afford. The older guys here hate to see you new guys buy into the hype and waste money for a detector you will use twice and sell on eBay.

Hey Casca, I'm a FT fan also! I was just shocked when I saw you say you wants an Excal! And unfortunately I'm one of those "older guys" too!

X_Marks_Spot

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, White's, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Other
Heavy mineral density can be a pain...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Responses are not from dealers, dealers have tags saying so or their username says so like KellycoChris.

Maybe not dealers, but friends of dealers. Also, a lot of posters here get "freebies" for plugging their products. Please don't tell me that isn't true. I'm not that naive and I don't think too many people who read this thread are that gullible.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not getting any freebies and I highly doubt any of the others responding are either...

I paid for the mods to my excals at KELLYCO just like anyone else and I paid for my accessories and supplies...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just expensive detectors that you think are a waste of money or do you think expensive ANYTHING is a waste of money?...like cars, boats, guns etc....trying to figure you out.

Some things are overrated and a waste of money. I would definitely say that a 2k detector is a waste of money. A 2k detector is NOT 10 times better than a $200 detector. Just my opinion and NOT an "attack" on anyone here.

I have spent $1000 on a car and also spent $10k on a car. Yes, the 10k car was 10 times better than the 1k car.

A $40 bottle of wine is 10 times better than a $4 bottle of wine.

A $50 meal is 10 times better than a $5 meal.

I am a frugal Yankee, but I also understand the difference between cheap and quality. I just don't see a big quality difference between a 2k detector and a $200 one.

Attachments

• roof day 4 028.jpg
    roof day 4 028.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 83

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things are overrated and a waste of money. I would definitely say that a 2k detector is a waste of money. A 2k detector is NOT 10 times better than a $200 detector. Just my opinion and NOT an "attack" on anyone here.

I have spent $1000 on a car and also spent $10k on a car. Yes, the 10k car was 10 times better than the 1k car.

I am a frugal Yankee, but I also understand the difference between cheap and quality. I just don't see a big quality difference between a 2k detector and a $200 one.

I see a difference, I have owned $200 detectors, just my opinion, not an attack on you.

My thumbs up is for your ride.........I use to own a new1970 Plymouth Roadrunner and I also owned a 1955 2 door post 55 Chevy that I showed at car shows, won about 20 trophies with it before I sold it...

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe not dealers, but friends of dealers. Also, a lot of posters here get "freebies" for plugging their products. Please don't tell me that isn't true. I'm not that naive and I don't think too many people who read this thread are that gullible.

Where do I sign up for that program? The only local dealer is for Whites and he's a major reason I went with Fisher. Stood me up twice when I made arrangements to meet him after taking personal time to stretch my lunch-break. Bozo.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors, like any equipment or process, suffer diminishing returns with additional investment.

But look at what race car drivers invest to shave 1/10th of a second off a lap. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars to get 218 mph instead of 217 mph?

And how do you determine 10X better? Is finding an 1851 3¢ piece three times better than a 1951 1¢ coin, or 10X better? Or 100X better?

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some things are overrated and a waste of money. I would definitely say that a 2k detector is a waste of money. A 2k detector is NOT 10 times better than a $200 detector. Just my opinion and NOT an "attack" on anyone here. I have spent $1000 on a car and also spent $10k on a car. Yes, the 10k car was 10 times better than the 1k car. A $40 bottle of wine is 10 times better than a $4 bottle of wine. A $50 meal is 10 times better than a $5 meal. I am a frugal Yankee, but I also understand the difference between cheap and quality. I just don't see a big quality difference between a 2k detector and a $200 one.
About me: worth it or not
$20 shirts - worth it
$6.50 6-packs - oh yes
$12000 car - worth it
$20 watch - not worth it (made in China)
An expensive wife - up for debate
2 spoiled kids (who like coins and treasure hunting) - priceless
2 pairs of worn out shoes - need 6 more months to be worth it
And a $2500 CTX (paid $2100) - worth every penny to me
$3000 fishing gear - worth it when something big bites
$worthless brother-in-law - worth it when I kick his as$

T-net - $free. I love this forum and threads like this!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How can you determine if something is ten times better? That's just personal opinion...the 2K detector might be 15 times better than the $200 detector to someone...oh, and Ive had some really good $5 meals and some bad $50 meals.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relevant, you have to weigh all aspects. What you want it to do, where, soil, how proficient you are with it, how much you can spend, etc. it all contributes.

My dad had a Ford Galaxy 500, that car would move! My favorite, Grand National!

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Dad had a '63 Ford Galaxy XL. I loved that car. Never the same after someone tried to drive through the side of it!.......sigh.....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
How can you determine if something is ten times better? That's just personal opinion...the 2K detector might be 15 times better than the $200 detector to someone...oh, and Ive had some really good $5 meals and some bad $50 meals.

The more expensive detectors are definitely better, they're just generaly not proportionately better. They could be, they should be, but they intentionally are not. Somethings are infinitely better, modern discrimination has seen tremendous improvement

Generally the technology design materials and workmansip of high end modern state of the art metal detectors lags far behind a very easily achieved potential satisfactory alternative

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

The more expensive detectors are definitely better, they're just generaly not proportionately better. They could be, they should be, but they intentionally are not. Some things are infinitely better. Modern discrimination has seen tremendous improvement. Modern design characteristics however are archaic.

Generally the technology design materials and workmansip of high end modern state of the art metal detectors lags far behind a very easily achieved potential satisfactory alternative

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any manufacturers do monitor this site they will see majority are happy with what they offer...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like expensive pie, not the cheap pie, it is flat and bland...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its deja vu all over again.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't buy the expensive pie. It's not proportionally worth it. They could make a way better pie for way less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread