Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Re: SO PRETTY MUCH IT'S ILLEGAL TO DO ANYTHING

SWR said:
Hey..ya gotta admit that most of those laws are on the books because groups of like minded people (not isolated incidents) have gone beyond the realm of "normal" by their lust for the gold. Backhoe's in the parks and widespread vandalism of historical grounds are almost a thing of the past ;)

I am glad they control things. Gov beuacracy often is a pain an dsometimes irrational, but one needs to consider how things got there and why. I understand many on this site might not tear up the land, but many would with no regards.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IF somebody destroys public property, I say throw the book at them. But to place all these restrictions on people in the anticipation that they MIGHT do something wrong is nothing but assumption of guilt

Exactly!!!!

Something else that really bugs me - its our taxpayer dollars that are paying the bills for us to be "stopped".

I once went to a BLM informational meeting on some "restrictions" they were putting in, and the guy kept saying "we as the owner of these 22,000 acres, the BLM" and "our land" - that I finally lost it and stood up and said, straight out - hey, bud, the BLM owns NOTHING, ZIP, NADA - you are merely a steward of OUR land. The room almost exploded.

(I mean, its like having your babysitter have the right to move your children to a new state - its not their child).

B

eatapeach

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2007
Dixieland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Courtesy Cowleg Enterprises

This thread contains one element for sure. Americans are passionate about liberty. Oorah!

In my humble opinion it is occasionally possible to charge Hell with a bucket of water. But against someone stuck on stupid, especially if it's the government, even money says you're booking a loser. Quit the field to fight another day.

Of course, God works wonders now and then;
Behold! a bureaucrat, a very wise man.

Peace,
tj

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector

as a retired police officer, common sense go's a long way with the right officer. for example, it against the law to spit on the sidewalk. how many did i arrest. none. if and officer gets on your case for digging in a public park and your filling your holes, he's and a$# :-* kisser. its one thing to dig in a park and another thing to dig on and Indian mound. so hopefully you will have and officer that has common sense

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

Big government encroaches into everything we do.
Democrat administrations are most responsible for courtailing our rights.
Lately Republicans are following on their footsteps.
We must elect Libertarian candidates and Constitutionalists to represent us.
If we keep electing the same old faces, we will continue dawn the more government/more regulations path.
The bad news is that older people tend to vote for the same old people and same old parties.
And young people spend their time watching TV or on the web or I-Pods or cell phones, while ignoring how important is to go out and vote.
Public lands are government lands, not public lands.
Representatives no longer represent us, they work for lobbysts, not for people.
It is our own fault.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am curious as to why this thread is not in the personal rants? Guess I should ask a Moderator. I sure hope I don't get nailed to the cross for asking.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everything revolves around POWER. Whoever has the most money to burn, politicians to pay off, NO MATTER WHAT, even read about how much gold President Johnson had flown to his 100,000 acre land after the discovery of the gold that was found at Victorio Peak after the Nosses found it and was still fighting for the rights in the 60's. The little guy gets crapped on even by hte president! Does anyone remember when some soldiers found some bags in block forms of crisp $100 bills, (American money), in big bags that was found in a hole in a wall from an explosion from some U.S. military hardware I think sometime in 2004 or 2005 when it was found during the Iraqi Freedom Campaign?
The money dollar amount was way up there in the millions that was found. Due to quite a few big bags of money in the hole.

Some of those soldiers tried hiding and taking some of the money and SUPPOSEDLY higher up heard about the money and soldiers finding it and trying to stash some of it. Well the money was supposed to be used to give back to the Iraqi people and help build the country back, but I can assure you that probably some general got his hands on some of it as well as those who have power over lower ranking individuals!

I wished I could have been there when it was found, or been the one to find it. I would certainly bet they wouldn't find my share!

I am proud to serve this country under the american people, as for the government, that is another story. I just can't wait to get out this year!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had the same thing with a ranger. He was yelling that he didn't need people like me in HIS park "tromping around". And if he had his way we'd all be kicked out of his park. My accused crime? Went into a closed area, after getting directions from the other ranger an hour earlier. Even after the other Ranger told him he gave me bum directions Hard head ranger wasn't satisfied. Still wanted to ticket me. After an hour got off with a warning and several apologies from the other Ranger. Saw hard head ranger in town a couple days later, couldn't resist welling across the parking lot "Look someones tromping all over MY park. What are you doing here? Why aren't you out protecting MY park from being trampled? He drove off down the road towards MY park.

VaJim

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2008

Hey Everybody, a newbie here but anyway, i don't think voting or not voting is really going to make a difference here.If the gov. can't figure out a way to profit from your treasure hunting they are not going to approve of it.I've seen alot of gov. folks being interviewed ,I've seen them golfing,fishing and what not but i've never seen one with a metal detector in thier hand,i guess they've already found thier pot of gold.- money and power-.They have a don't do as i do- do as i say do policy, besides if you did what they did you would get locked up.Take fencing stolen property for instance, if you do it your going to jail, they do it every day. If you don't believe me go ask any indian

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

With the ranchers it's Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up
MD's, Detect, Cover Up and Shut Up.

Just don't let em see ya !!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe the answer is to hunt like a politician! :icon_jokercolor: Go in grab everything you can before anyone gets wise, then blame it all on a congressman or take the fifth! Seems to work for the politicians should work for us regular joes!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a strange thing, isn't it - when a politician spends more money running for office than he/she can possibly earn while they are in the position?????????????

B

treasuretopsites

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007

So what you guys are saying is that it will be illegal for me to go to Iowa and dig up a farm cache that I know of that will be worth many thousands of dollars in face value in gold coins from the late 1800's.

I have been an historical researcher for almost 30 years and stumbled on some interesting news about the person that lived on this farm , the gold coins he buried, why he buried them, and his relatives couldn't find it.

My follow up research has shown all the facts to be true.

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

treasuretopsites said:
So what you guys are saying is that it will be illegal for me to go to Iowa and dig up a farm cache that I know of that will be worth many thousands of dollars in face value in gold coins from the late 1800's.

I have been an historical researcher for almost 30 years and stumbled on some interesting news about the person that lived on this farm , the gold coins he buried, why he buried them, and his relatives couldn't find it.

My follow up research has shown all the facts to be true.

If it is on private land and you have permission to hunt it, it is not illegal; ownership is an entirely different matter though.

As to quote Rifleman earlier:

"MD's, Detect, Cover Up and Shut Up."

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
It is a strange thing, isn't it - when a politician spends more money running for office than he/she can possibly earn while they are in the position?????????????

B

I think ALL the money used for political elections for those running for office is donated by those who have the money to donate for favors for them when so called politician gets into the office! Isn't that how it works?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HarleyMan2,

I'm thinking you're right, there. Unless they really are just the most giving, charitable and philanthropic people in the country.

Ya think? >:D >:D >:D >:D

B

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

I can't say anything nice, so I guess I won't say anything. Those guys that want it all, are called AR-KEEL_HAUL_OGISTS in my book, because that is what they are doing to this hobby.[size=10pt]NUFF SAID![/size]

SgtM8411

Greenie
Jan 16, 2007
Johnstown NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, minelab explorer SE, minelab excalibur, Tesoro Cortes, Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Surfmaster PI, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the Marine Corps we have a saying: "It is better to ask for forgivness than permission". I agree with rifleman's post.
I am intensly cynical and dont believe that my vote counts for anything. I think we are a small minority and I would rather use my time TH'ing than trying to change peoples political views. It's better for my blood pressure. I know fully that if im caught on a place that I shouldnt be detecting I risk having my detector confiscated or worse. I have been asked to leave various places 4 times my years of metal detecting and I was furious each time. Im not going to rant anymore but i'll just say that unless i see a sign saying "no metal detecting" or "posted" and its public or state land then it fair game for ME. I havent heard of any detectorist getting arrested or having his gear taken away. I've only heard of people being asked to leave. If that is the worst I can expect then i'll risk it. Just my opinion (that and 70 cents of clad might get you a coffee). =0)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread