So who out there has actually found a cache?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seriously doubt or suspect that 99% of us would never publicly announce a find of 2 leather satchels with gold coins from under a rock or anything like that on a public forum. It would be stupid!

Ask a CA. couple... they were absolutely NUTS!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
It's interesting to see how different areas of this forum handle disclosing their finds.

Plenty of turf and surf hunters post their coins and jewelry. Some of them have been doing so for years, with multiple banner finds. Some of these posters have accumulated finds that are worth far more than the average cache. How many of them reported to the IRS? And how many are having legal issues over it?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ten years later burglars relieved me of the purse and it's contents.

... I somehow doubt they paid income tax on their "find".

If caught, they still won't have to pay taxes on it. That's the last thing they have to worry about. Only honest folks are forced to pay taxes.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 17, pay your income on your earnings at your jobs, and for buried treasures after you sell them, or off to jail you will go. If I find buried treasures, I will pay my state and federal income taxes, or I may join you in jail.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
# 17, pay your income on your earnings at your jobs, and for buried treasures after you sell them, or off to jail you will go. If I find buried treasures, I will pay my state and federal income taxes, or I may join you in jail.

I'm sure I understand your post (I think)...?

Are you saying you "expect" a cache find of a few hundred or a few thousands of dollars + to STEP UP and report it voluntarily??? I've always paid my state and federal taxes (no choices). But to find a huge cache and expect a huge announcement from the individual is over the top...?

Who in the hell would expect anybody to do this? It's too easy to roll a cache without ever announcing anything...? I'd love to have this problem.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a jar hidden in a wall at an old ghost town that had wheats and buffalo's in it..it wasn't the greatest cache find but man i was excited

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to square one. We're pretty sure our field has a disseminated 2nd cache remaining. In another field we found about 7 coins, 1880's to 1930's or so. Scrap metal value only. Don't know where the source was, but all were found in the same general area. Frankly, it cost more in gas to get there than what those 7 coins were worth. A good tax deduction. Plus the $1500 machines x 2, and the $800 machine x 2 and the diggers, etc, etc. etc. What's a profit?

But anyway, we may be able to get back this weekend and try the field edges. Might be something else there, and if we're right and the 7 coin spill is related to Darryl's cache, it could get interesting. It would be wild if there was more buried there. No way to tell.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; In 1986 I found a box of coins and jewelry at 9" at an old house here. There were 7 Morgans, 19 Barber Halves, 3 Seated Liberty Halves, 21 Standing Liberty Quarters, 8 Barber Quarters, 41 Indian Heads, 4 Flying Eagle Cents 16 Liberty Nickels, 13 Barber Dimes and 6 Seated Dimes and 1- 3 Cent Piece. I was on cloud ten. That was 139 coins total.!!! There was also a Gold Charm, a gold Locket and a wedding ring. I've never come close to that since. I'm still happy. What a rush. PEACE:RONB

Wow that must of been intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know fella's, after reading all this,(And for what it's worth), I myself have never found a "Cache" of anything really, (other than nails perhaps), but IF I did, I think I'd keep it to myself. It is to bad that we here do not have "Treasure Trove" type laws as in say England, where there is really no fear of reporting the find etc, where it seems here, the U.S., If it's anything of any real value or interest, SOMEONE feels that YOU should not have it, and wants to take it away from you, most often some type of government agency of some sort, or even some Historical Societies believe it or not. The thing of most value, coin wise, I have ever found, was the Holy Grail of Seated Liberty Quarters, and my statement is, I found it in my own backyard from some fill dirt from somewhere. I would be thrilled to death to find a really cool cache someday, and if I did, (After getting over the shock), I'd show it to friends etc, and enjoy it for what it is, not knowing what else to do really. It's like no one else wants to make any effort to help find it, but most everyone wants you to hand it over to them. Go figure. So, I hope everyone of us finds one someday, (or for others) another one. We just keep detecting because after all, YOU NEVER KNOW.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope you find more. My brothers and I would hide jars of coins when we were younger. It was fun then to play with buried treasure. As time has gone on we have went back and retrieved a few that we have remembered. A few definatly we can't find. Nothing more than a dollar or 2 in loose change. Someday someone might even do a happy dance when they find it.
I did find about 40 "good for 5 cents" tokens last year! Good luck!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

(IRS) agent #'s 10, 12, & 27, Yes sir. Always have and always will. And I will patriotically "Report my neighbors" for any caches I ever hear of to yous!
Love, # 17.

P.S. If you do end up joining me in the joint, bring a chess and cribbage board with you please!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 years ago I made an eyeball find of a modern cache in a creek rock/sand bed. Floodwaters had exposed and scattered the coins about 5 or 6 feet. I grabbed all the silver clad, left a lot of pennies behind. I also found the wooden box it was buried in, badly disintegrated. From the dates on the coins I'm guessing it was buried in the early to mid 90's. The sad part was there was a $10 bill in there as well - but too far gone to save. All in all about $8 worth of clad, if I would have picked up the pennies - no telling. They were everywhere and the sun was starting to go down.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding a few coins (100 or so w/no gold) is one thing. But if anybody is lucky enough to find a few hundred mid 1800's gold coins I'd highly suggest to keep your mouth shut. And if you want the now monetary value of them then sell off slowly and just smile!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, so far I have spent more on machines, gas, motels and such than I have ever found digging. Just about all the coins I have found were either new clad and or the silvers weren't especially in mint condition. I also don't sell stuff I find. Not do I ever expect to find a big cache of silver or gold. We will be visiting our spot one last time in the next few days and I had so much fun with the camera may try that again. Fields will probably be planted by Monday. We might find a few coins we missed the other day. Hopefully.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 34, will do, but checkers is my game, and I am real good at it. I do not have brains to play chess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions