Status
Not open for further replies.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not matter if he is only an "agent" representing another, as the owner/holder of the copyright, Ward controls any and all usage of the copyrighted work for whomever may be the author, as agent or as agent for the work, it may be considered a "work for hire".
Example: A publisher may apply for copyright on behalf of the author, who is always named on the application, which gives the publisher control to act on behalf of the author in all matters concerning the usage of the author's work, and which the publisher receives the payment for the work and then distributes (usually after recouped costs, percentage of the sale etc) then pays the authors cut.
In the case of the Beale Papers, Ward applied for it on borrowed letterhead stationary from the company where his son-in-law worked, applied as "agent", but NO author was mentioned.
Did he apply as agent, because the Beale Papers was intended only as a dime western/adventure novel with the ciphers added as a parlor entertainment, but was advised by council to copyright it as "agent for an unknown author" to keep him free from lawsuits from those who believed and wasted time and fortune in search of a fictional treasure?
Remember, there is a "leave it be" disclaimer in the 1885 Beale Papers.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That Disclaimer was about the BC Ciphers 1 & 3... just a RUSE! NOTHING to "gain" from 'em (MHO).

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In an article in the local NewAdvance newspaper on Charlie Button (Owner & HEAD Editor in 1885 or so)... CB admitted that the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet was written by one of his "sub" Editors, PROBABLY John W. Sherman. Charlie was "pro-Union" during the CONFEDERATE WAR... YET! MAY have been KGC, then OAK, AFTER the CONFEDERATE WAR. WERE Ward & Sherman, COUSINS...? Descended from JB Risque...? Hmmm... AND! "Google" Charles W. Button... :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :hello2::hello2::hello2:

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not matter if he is only an "agent" representing another, as the owner/holder of the copyright, Ward controls any and all usage of the copyrighted work for whomever may be the author,

As an author, I can tell you straight up....."You are WRONG" in assuming that an agent can do whatever he likes whenever he wants to. There are numerous agent/author contracts that can limit an agent's control/rights. Per example, there are numerous sites on the internet that offer authors various contract options in the publication and promotion of their works, this even existing in the photography industries and other industries as well. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Eldo

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do me a favor ECS, BigScoop, and others looking to argue their points about their OWN THEORIES>>>>>

>>>>>TAKE YOUR HISTORY LESSON OVER TO YOUR UMPTEEN POSTS AND STOP FILLING MINE WITH THIS EXCUSE FOR NON PERFORMANCE>>>>>

Not a thing found from your advice.....Not a thing found from your own diggings....and certainly nothing gained here but a distraction as you try to absorb my work into your timeless affairs.

I am not impressed one bit with your monopolizing and diversion as a strategy for information control.

Brainless and banal

OP
OP
Eldo

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend, Eldo, it was in response to your remark about the South on post #5 and that of doverturtle's on posts #7 & #12. It sees you both have a "thing" about the South.
Now you have mentioned Reavis, a Confederate soldier, you claim was involved in forging the Beale Papers and the Peralta stones as a "map" to the Beale treasure. Now as a Confederate soldier who may have been involved with codes that enabled him to create the Beale ciphers, Reavis would have had knowledge of Vattel's LAW OF NATIONS, may have been utilized for the ciphers, if and only if your Reavis theory has merit and validity.

I was educated at westminster schools in Atlanta.....the most elite school in the country.....I also worked my grandfather's farm in Tennessee and helped my uncle there too with tons of work.

So we aren't objectively against the south......don't make this into a civil war reenactment or we will have to go talk with Ol' Simpson....Ulysses Simpson Grant.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
As an author, I can tell you straight up....."You are WRONG" in assuming that an agent can do whatever he likes whenever he wants to. There are numerous agent/author contracts that can limit an agent's control/rights. Per example, there are numerous sites on the internet that offer authors various contract options in the publication and promotion of their works, this even existing in the photography industries and other industries as well. :thumbsup:
Not quite right, as an independent record producer and music publisher, which requires two copyrights for recorded work( ie, the recorded performance and for the author/composers of the song), the holder/owner o the copyright administers the use of the authors work on behalf of the author(s) as agent.
There is nothing on the job pamphlet that Ward transferred the rights of use of his copyrighted Beale Papers to an outside publisher party. It all comes back to Ward.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite right, as an independent record producer and music publisher, which requires two copyrights for recorded work( ie, the recorded performance and for the author/composers of the song), the holder/owner o the copyright administers the use of the authors work on behalf of the author(s) as agent.
There is nothing on the job pamphlet that Ward transferred the rights of use of his copyrighted Beale Papers to an outside publisher party. It all comes back to Ward.

You're trying to manufacture a condition that isn't known to exist. All anyone knows is what the story mandates, or that Ward was just the "selected agent". Given this, it is "very possible" that his rights as agent were limited to what the author allowed. (A very common author/agent relationship.) You're still assuming Ward wrote the work and that he was also the author.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
[Q19UOTE=bigscoop;4764593]You're trying to manufacture a condition that isn't known to exist. All anyone knows is what the story mandates, or that Ward was just the "selected agent". Given this, it is "very possible" that his rights as agent were limited to what the author allowed. (A very common author/agent relationship.) You're still assuming Ward wrote the work and that he was also the author.[/QUOTE]
Since my first copyright in 1966, the US copyright laws have been amended, modified, and changed several times, Bigscoop, you and I are basing opinions on our knowledge of applying for copyright in our mediums during our times.
What were the copyright laws during Ward's 1885 time?
The ONLY existing knowledge that Ward was only the agent comes from what is printed on the job pamphlet and on his application for copyright on borrowed stationary, instead of the forms provided by the Library of Congress, that you and I have both filled out.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Q19UOTE=bigscoop;4764593]You're trying to manufacture a condition that isn't known to exist. All anyone knows is what the story mandates, or that Ward was just the "selected agent". Given this, it is "very possible" that his rights as agent were limited to what the author allowed. (A very common author/agent relationship.) You're still assuming Ward wrote the work and that he was also the author.
Since my first copyright in 1966, the US copyright laws have been amended, modified, and changed several times, Bigscoop, you and I are basing opinions on our knowledge of applying for copyright in our mediums during our times.
What were the copyright laws during Ward's 1885 time?
The ONLY existing knowledge that Ward was only the agent comes from what is printed on the job pamphlet and on his application for copyright on borrowed stationary, instead of the forms provided by the Library of Congress, that you and I have both filled out.[/QUOTE]

Copyright has always been subject to the limitations of the terms/agreements between authors, agents, publishers, etc. One other thing for you to consider, on his own, Ward had no legal background at all. His father did, but he did not. So I'd say there's a fair chance Ward wasn't acting on his own, or without some degree of guidance. Just as there is no record of Ward having the ability to even write such a story without some measure of guidance. Just saying, doesn't appear that, on his own, Ward held the means to write or to dictate much of anything concerning the pamphlet.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... One other thing for you to consider, on his own, Ward had no legal background at all. His father did, but he did not. So I'd say there's a fair chance Ward wasn't acting on his own, or without some degree of guidance. Just as there is no record of Ward having the ability to even write such a story without some measure of guidance. Just saying, doesn't appear that, on his own, Ward held the means to write or to dictate much of anything concerning the pamphlet.
Which brings us to the cousin John William Sherman connection.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In an article in the local NewAdvance newspaper on Charlie Button (Owner & HEAD Editor in 1885 or so)... CB admitted that the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet was written by one of his "sub" Editors, PROBABLY John W. Sherman. Charlie was "pro-Union" during the CONFEDERATE WAR... YET! MAY have been KGC, then OAK, AFTER the CONFEDERATE WAR. WERE Ward & Sherman, COUSINS...? Descended from JB Risque...? Hmmm...
...and several years later in the same newspaper, Adeline Ward McVeigh stated that her father, James Beverly Ward, was the author of the Beale Papers.
It appears that both Sherman and Ward were involved in the creation of the job pamphlet, possibly with help from F C Hutter and Max Guggenheimer, who is the only 1885 contemporary mentioned in the Beale Papers.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and several years later in the same newspaper, Adeline Ward McVeigh stated that her father, James Beverly Ward, was the author of the Beale Papers.

Nooooo....she only said that she "thought" her father was the author. Clearly she wasn't certain. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Eldo

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Our debut Production Allstars radio podcast interview is done and our Pilot Film Documentary can be seen above. Try to ignore the advertisements.....they have to make a buck too....and we plan to make a full documentary this spring so its a fantastic opportunity to present the TWO solves in this case. !!!:hello2::headbang::hello2:

Hope You Enjoy Our Hard Work In Cracking TWO Of The Hardest Mysteries Encrypted In 130+ Years !!!

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Our debut Production Allstars radio podcast interview is done and our Pilot Film Documentary can be seen above. Try to ignore the advertisements.....they have to make a buck too....and we plan to make a full documentary this spring so its a fantastic opportunity to present the TWO solves in this case. !!!
Hope You Enjoy Our Hard Work In Cracking TWO Of The Hardest Mysteries Encrypted In 130+ Years !!!
MEDICARE is a mystery?

OP
OP
Eldo

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope but this is so funny that this frame comes up on the youtube stuff....its a full documentary but he forgot to add the right screenshot....this add is in the middle of the show.....give it a few minutes and it will get adjusted I just texted him...LOL

Still an awesome film....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread