OP
OP
C

Carolyn2130

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a new artifacts hunter I've only found the ones I posted yesterday but I'm pretty sure I'll find a few more

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some tough digging, with a flat-point shovel no less!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There probably aren't too many spots in Travis county where Native Americans didn't live at one time or another. I'm not suggesting that every where will be productive for digging, but move enough dirt and rocks and you will find things.

Not sure how much property you have access to, but you might try narrowing down your search. You might look for low piles of cracked rock, snail shells, and charcoal and dig around there to see if you find a better concentration of tools. It looks like you moved a decent amount of dirt there to come up with some rocks. (You can also see why a lot of locals us tractors and table screens to work that chunky dirt.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snail shells? I’ve never heard to look for those, I’ve got some new spots to look haha... why snails?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting I know spots that have a lot of snail shells I just thought the area had the right mixture of soil and moisture

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting I know spots that have a lot of snail shells I just thought the area had the right mixture of soil and moisture

That can also be the case. I think snails are just a part of a lot of sites in Texas and other areas.

If there was moisture, there were probably pecan/nut trees and other edible plants and bulbs in the area. If ancient peoples were cooking bulbs and roots, as well as processing animals and bones, that likely enriched the soil which helped grow whatever snails eat. If you have a flock of kids, sending them out to gather snails, lizards, bird eggs, etc. gives the parents a breather, and provides a lot of calories. That waste builds up over generations into the middens that are common in Texas. Because snail shells seem to last when in concentration, diggers seem to find a lot of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread