Some Finds

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Prizm II, White's PI Pro, Sov. GT
Hi everyone, The last 2 weeks have been kinda tough for me. The dr. finally released me back to lite duty. That is not the tough part. I had to give up my beautiful friend, my Blue and Gold Macaw for various reasons. Needless to say I am so devaststed. I want her back so bad. We had her for 8 yrs. The silence is deafening. Anyway, when I got the word that I could go back to work I decided to hit the beach.I hit the kids playground and found 3 quarters, 1 dime, and 2 nickels. Didn't find that much so I decided to go on the beach. I was detecting 10ft or so from the boardwalk. I found a 1941 Merc. dime about 2in down. :o. I was so happy. My 1st one!!

The rest of the finds were from the last 2-3 weeks. On the same day I found the Merc, I had decided to go to this tot lot just down the road from me. Under the equip. I found this tiny brass container, maybe about an inch long by 1/2 in wide. I shook it, there's something in it. I left because I wanted to see what it was. There was a bunch of little kids running around.
Finally!, I opened it. Inside there was this tiny religious statue. I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it is old? Looks like it could be. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Eileena

Attachments

• mdingstuff.jpg
    mdingstuff.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 705
  • mercandstatue.jpg
    mercandstatue.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 701
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Eileena said:
I found this tiny brass container, maybe about an inch long by 1/2 in wide... Inside there was this tiny religious statue. I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it is old? Looks like it could be. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Eileena—

Your find could easily be 100-150 years old. In fact, small cased figures of saints were often carried by soldiers during the Civil War. Yours looks as if it's probably Joseph holding the infant Jesus.
Saints.jpg
Source: http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/keemakoo/statues1.html

OP
OP
HaveFaith

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
PBK said:
Eileena said:
I found this tiny brass container, maybe about an inch long by 1/2 in wide... Inside there was this tiny religious statue. I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it is old? Looks like it could be. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Eileena—

Your find could easily be 100-150 years old. In fact, small cased figures of saints were often carried by soldiers during the Civil War. Yours looks as if it's probably Joseph holding the infant Jesus.

Source: http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/keemakoo/statues1.html

Holy Smokes!! I thought is was old!! Thank you for the info and link. I really think you all are the best!!!!!!! So informative. I like that.
Eileena

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, great merc. Congrats!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
TeddyB1967 said:
Looks more like St. Christopher than Joseph?

Perhaps you're right. However, I believe that St. Christopher is more often depicted carrying Jesus as a small boy upon his back or shoulders, while Joseph is shown holding the infant Jesus, as in the example (right side) that I posted above.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I was just looking at the face with the beard, Joseph doesnt have a full facial beard but St. Christopher does.
Either way, it's a great find and something to hang on to. ;D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Nice assortment of finds, congrats on the sweet Merc, yes! your first woowhoooo!
That religious statue is really nice also, wow!

Hey, that gold heart looks like real gold to me. Look under/ on the inside of the chain area hook for a hallmark. Nice find!

Smiles!
BDoo

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a cap like the one on the left to one of those.........i thought it was a crushed lipstick tube....and tossed it......i think i got a civil war site.........i keep finding civil war era stuff at.................cool post. The thing is .......that my town does'nt have alot of civil war known history that i know of........

HH

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:'( I am sorry to read you had to give up your friend :'( I do understand how you feel & my thoughts are with you!

What great wee finds!! ;D I adore them all. . especially the religious item. . gorgeous!! ;D

Congrats!

Bogart :D

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Great group of finds. Jewelry is always a thrill to see come out of the ground. The statue in the brass container is just awesome. Never seen anything like it on the forum before.

And, so very sorry that you had to give up your pet. My chocolate lab is just another member of the family, and it would kill me to lose her. Keep your chin up. Some more of those great finds would probably be just the thing you need...

MP

OP
OP
HaveFaith

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
comfyinvermont said:
Hey Eileena. Nice finds, especially the religious medal. Hope you are feeling better. Congrats...Lance

I am feeling a little better, still very sad though. Thanx for your thoughts.

Eileena

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Great finds! I love them! I do understand you having to give up your macaw. I had to give up my cockatoo a few years back and I still find myself listening for his "MOM! C'mere!" :( I attached a picture of me holding him, his name is Petrie. Do you have any pics of your macaw to share??

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 333

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Wow Eileena, you sure found a lot of jewelry. Some very nice pieces too. I agree with all the others on the small statue item, could be old and possibly worth something.

I have a suggestion concerning photo editing. I use Photoimpression 5 by Arcsoft. It is easy to use and an all in one program. You can crop, resize, enhance etc.. it can be obtained used for $10. Link is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006FL58K/ref=dp_olp_2/102-7121774-4869713

Happy Hunting

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread