Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody's gonna have to tie my feet to the ground!

OK...new site....started out on the back 40 by the barn. Got tired of hauling the shovel around and digging great big holes only to find car tags and such had been distributed around, about two feet under. So I headed for the front yard of the house. Was getting late, and I knew the ballgame was coming on at 6:30, so I was trying to hurry around and see what I was in for there. After about 15 minutes I was huntin under one of the old apple trees and dug this BUTTONNNNNN! I was rolling around on the ground like that little baby jenny! :D My newest favorite find. ;D I thought...I just gotta stay a few more minutes! Dug all kinds of stuff...some stuff I don't even know what it is. :D Got a wheat and a little tin...kinda like the ones that the Bayer asprin come in. I haven't opened it yet. Somebody PLEASE tell me what the button is for sure. :) I don't have a clue as to how to clean it properly either. I just ran some water over it and brushed it lightly with a toothbrush. After yesterday's fiasco with that button, I figured I better leave well enough alone. ;) What a day...Nana's so happy.

Attachments

• 0928rollingontheground.JPG
    0928rollingontheground.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,498
  • 0928momand baby.JPG
    0928momand baby.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,479
  • 0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    0928dayonthefarm.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,412
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Here's a bit of info and looks pretty darn close. It comes from:
http://howardlanham.tripod.com/quiz2/quiz2a.html

General service buttons were first introduced in 1854 and replaced branch specific buttons for enlisted men. The button used during the Civil War had a shield that was flush with the surface. About 1875 this button was replaced with one that had an elevated shield similar to the one pictured. A specification issued in 1885 clearly shows the later type button. In 1902 these buttons were replaced by a more modern type button similar to those in use today. Also indicative is the backmark. The firm of Horstmann is one of the oldest and best known of the military outfitters. The book American Military Button Makers and Dealers: Their Backmarks and Dates does not picture this particular backmark. It is similiar to others from the late 19th-Century.

References:

Albert, Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons p. 15
War Department, Specification for Uniform Coat Button (1885)

Attachments

• eaglebuttonem3.jpg
    eaglebuttonem3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,248

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
For a second opinion, I sent the photos and a link to this thread to another well known buttons expert, Daniel J. Binder, author of Civil War Collector's Guide to Albert's Button Book. He responded as follows:

Hello from Illinois:
Thanks for your sending me the digital images of the button. I would tend to trust Bob Edmondson's opinion as he's one of the very best in the business. In my opinion, the button is a circa 1880-1900 US general service button with a rotted out tinned iron back. The general style of the eagle postdates the Civil War by a good many years, and tinned iron backs were seldom used in the construction of American military buttons prior to the 1870s era. They were, however, relatively common in the last quarter of the 19th century and into the early 1900s. I see nothing about this button that even hints at early fabrication. Hope this helps.

Daniel J. Binder
Rockford, IL

A third major authority on buttons who might be able to help is Warren K. Tice. Unfortunately, I do not have his contact information. Perhaps another member could get in touch with him.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not express how much I appreciate all the research you all have put into this button. Thank you so much!!!!! What would I do without ya! :)

Thanks again!

Nana :)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nana.......... I bet you never thought your button would cause so much controversy, Thats what TN is for! To assist in situations like this one........The Eagle on most Buttons has been an important part of military uniforms going back over 200 years, the different verities applied to these buttons has also varied in different ways. Now not saying that this button could be from the time period mentioned above, but still looking at Nanas button shows without any dought , its a (very close ) resemblance but when looking at the Eagle buttons that I have looked at and I'm sure plenty of forum members and guests have looked at also, clearly show they are not the same buttons! What we do need is something to campare SIZE ! take another Pic with a dime next to it to determine the diameter !

Will just have to keep trying!
This is definitely a great find
To research!!!! ;)

Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nana,
Regardless of what this button turns out to be, you really have made a fantastic find. I have read your posts since I started this forum and if any one deserves to find something truly great ,it is you. You give inspiration to all the other women detectorists and I am really happy that you were able to find such a great piece of history.
Thanks for leading the way
Christy

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The Seeker said:
Hey Nana.......... I bet you never thought your button would cause so much controversy, Thats what TN is for! To assist in situations like this one........The Eagle on most Buttons has been an important part of military uniforms going back over 200 years, the different verities applied to these buttons has also varied in different ways. Now not saying that this button could be from the time period mentioned above, but still looking at Nanas button shows without any dought , its a (very close ) resemblance but when looking at the Eagle buttons that I have looked at and I'm sure plenty of forum members and guests have looked at also, clearly show they are not the same buttons! What we do need is something to campare SIZE ! take another Pic with a dime next to it to determine the diameter !

Will just have to keep trying!
This is definitely a great find
To research!!!! ;)

Seeker

If you look at pic #8, I think you'll see it's not a whole lot smaller than the base of the shotgun shell.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK...I took a picture of the button next to a nickel. It's the same size as a nickel. And no, Seeker I didn't! :D But this is fun! Agreed?
Christy....Thank you! What would the world be without us girls? ;D Really and truly, thank you. :)

Nana :)

Attachments

• buttonnickel2.JPG
    buttonnickel2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,133
  • buttonnickel.jpg
    buttonnickel.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,140

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done PBK ;D this one took you a while...... But anyway, we cannot do without you ::) Nana, also well done, it has turned out to be a trully great find.

God bless
Peter

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is amazing! Are we looking at the same button here? Take a good look at the base of this button, the tail feathers are way longer than any of the buttons that are showing up here in the forum! I can post pics of eagle buttons all day long and not one will match yours Nana! You still have a great find.....and further research is still needed! But all the imput on your Find is I'm sure greatly appriciated.........!

Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Here's a bit of info and looks pretty darn close. It comes from:
http://howardlanham.tripod.com/quiz2/quiz2a.html

General service buttons were first introduced in 1854 and replaced branch specific buttons for enlisted men. The button used during the Civil War had a shield that was flush with the surface. About 1875 this button was replaced with one that had an elevated shield similar to the one pictured. A specification issued in 1885 clearly shows the later type button. In 1902 these buttons were replaced by a more modern type button similar to those in use today. Also indicative is the backmark. The firm of Horstmann is one of the oldest and best known of the military outfitters. The book American Military Button Makers and Dealers: Their Backmarks and Dates does not picture this particular backmark. It is similiar to others from the late 19th-Century.

References:

Albert, Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons p. 15
War Department, Specification for Uniform Coat Button (1885)
Hey Stoney56.........This is a challenge trying to figure this out , and whats not noticed are the extended feathers at the base of this button . Which are on many of the early buttons , as you can see on your button the tail feathers are short, and on Nanas there much longer which makes for a huge difference in both of these buttons.........!

Seeker

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Hmmm. Both button and nickle are about the same size--around 21MM which is within the range of the great coat button of post CW. It could be a private variation-without the backmark guess we may never know. Keep on seeking Seeker. ;)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Nana, whatever type of button it is. It is very, very nice. Congrats on one very nifty find. You have come a long way from you bullet days. You have earned it. Congrats again...Lance

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nana........I was just going through some of the early Button web sites earlier today and came up with plenty of buttons , both Post Civil war and Pre- Civil war. The number of varieties seem endless but we all know there are plenty to look through....Here are just a few pics of some I came across , Still searching for yours!

Those darn tail feathers !! Still searching for that type.... ;)

Seeker

Attachments

• usbuttons 1 Medium Web view.jpg
    usbuttons 1 Medium Web view.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,982
  • More Eagle buttons Medium Web view.jpg
    More Eagle buttons Medium Web view.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,987
  • eagle wing span Medium Web view.jpg
    eagle wing span Medium Web view.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,965
  • Eagle buttons Medium Web view.jpg
    Eagle buttons Medium Web view.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,013
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! :)

OK...today we were trying to figure out how to clean the back better..was having sort of a hissy fit when hubby said he was going to clean it! :-X Well...he bumps the back against the desk a couple of times and out pops the dirt! Now I have a picture of the back....but .....nothing is there! :D I hope this might help.

I went back to the site this afternoon to see what I could dig up, and boy, am I tired! :P Have you ever tried to relic hunt in a nice cut yard? Having a hole the size of my fist on top and a hole the size of a basketball underneath? ;D Anyhow, dug a 1946 nickel, some shotgun shells, another button..but not another Eagle button. :P This one is a big ole ugly blue one...but it has a back! :D I found too much junque to list, and most of it I don't have a clue what it is? ??? So, if you do...do tell! :) I still have a bunch of area to cover...went very slow today, trying not to miss much.

Thanks ya'll! Nana :)

Attachments

• 0930stuff2.JPG
    0930stuff2.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,957
  • sbbf.jpg
    sbbf.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,906
  • sbbb.jpg
    sbbb.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,906
  • 0930stuff3.JPG
    0930stuff3.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,957

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Nana love the buckles ;D I can also identify the 1 object, it is a big piece of pipe ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread