some people pee me off

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
took my Mom too a church rummage sale today. the church priced items with colored stickers for code of how much something was. My mom brought a box of kitchen utinsels up to me an asked is this whole box 1.00 (yellow meant 1.00) I looked an the box had a yellow sticker with the word box across it..I said yes it should be everything 1.00 went to pay an the lady says some price I don't remember I said no the sticker says box for 1.00. she then begins to argue an says how much you willing to pay for everything? I said 1.00 cause that is what it is price.. she called some other lady over covered the sticker with her thumb an said how much is this stuff? My mother an I bought said she is covering the 1.00 sticker with her thumb... Lady looked at the sticker an said It's 1.00... I was getting pretty aggervated with that first lady. then I went to buy some models opened but nothing busted off the trees. I asked one lady how much since some didn;'t have a sticker she said all models are 50cent each. Iwent to pay an the same lady as before tried to charge me 4.00 each..Isaid no there .50 ..she started to argue again..I said the lady's name that told me they was .50 an said if you have a problem asked that lady an the lady taking money just shut up an sold them for .50. so I guess the lady I asked a price from was running the sale....

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I got to hear a jackass rant today. The garage sale was all up the driveway and including the garage. But the three ladies working the sale were all out in the driveway area. Anyway this guy goes into the garage and finds some cans of something ( i did not see) and I see him use them to see if they are full/working. So after a couple minutes of looking he walks outside the garage and asks the lady how much? She tells him those are not for sale. She says the stuff on the shelf isn't for sale and that it is still a garage. But she is polite about it. This guy goes off on her like she ran over his dog. So he is right behind me ranting and raving as we both walk away. We get to the end of the driveway and I turn and laugh in his face and tell him it is just a garage sale and shut the **** up. He was older, in his 60's at least, with his wife and all he did was give me a dirty look. A real tough guy when dealing with old ladies, no so much with the rest of society.

Usually I don't say anything but my ebay was down I was having a bad day and he just pushed me over the edge yelling at a few old ladies.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Sounds like a lovely church.
Digs exactly what I thought!! I made out tho.. the video games if they sell for what price chart has them listed at I bought 11 sega geneis games an should make around 80.00 an the models if they sell for what ebay has them in completed should net around 45.00

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've gotten into (small) arguments at various sales before with stupid/ignorant/rude customers. In Jersey it is basically a way of life...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten into (small) arguments at various sales before with stupid/ignorant/rude customers. In Jersey it is basically a way of life...
Ha! It's the same down here. It's a shame I don't speak Creole, i'd really know what they think of me, if I did.

haiti-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif
Waving the Haitian flag.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Yeah I go to Jersey Flea Markets a good bit, I have had my rounds with vendors.. Some think what they have is worth way more then it is worth others are just plain stupid..

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I just bite my tongue. And its the reason I can no longer talk...

At a yard sale last weekend, woman had out a bunch of fishing gear on a bed sheet. The fishing gear was even mentioned in the Craigslist ad. I spied a very nice vintage spinning reel still in the box with instructions.

"How much?"

"Oh - that's not for sale. We want to keep that." I started to say, "Gee, I just spent $20.00 in gas to get to your remote burg only to find myself at a kindergarten Show and Tell", but, gentleman that I am, I bit my tongue.

At an estate sale, same weekend - In the glass case, by the cashier, you know, the one with all the junk jewelry priced about 20X retail that they haven't been able to pawn off on some sap in previous sales, I spy a forelorn penny and dime. Both look to be in poor shape but I'm guessing they're a wheatie and a silver. I ask to see them. Under the window light, I think I can make out a 1922 Wheat and an 1890 Seated Liberty.

With my mesmorizing negotiating skills, I ask, "How much?" She then says, "I found these in the bottom of an old jar, I better look at them." Pulls out a magnifying glass and goes, "Oh, these are old! I better look them up on eBay. Do you live in the neighborhood?" (No, I just wasted $20.00 in gas to get to your worthless rip-off.) "Better yet, why don't you give me your name and number and I'll call you when I figure out what they're worth! Oh, and it my be next week before I can call you." So I write down "Felton Grabder" and a buddy's phone number.
Angry now, I make one last pass and in some hideously over-priced set of golf clubs I see an old vintage wooden shaft putter. Now, in a superior negotiating frenzy, I ask, "How much?" She examines said stick and goes, "Wow! I bet that's at least a hundred years old! I wonder if I can find it on eBay?" I said, "I doubt it's that old, as its a Ben Hogan, and my dad knew Ben." "Oh, ok - well I still have your number!" I started to ask if she had any full cans of gas so I could burn down this abortion of an estate sale, but I'm sure she'd have to call me on that one too after finding out what a gallon goes for on eBay.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

At a yard sale last weekend, woman had out a bunch of fishing gear on a bed sheet. The fishing gear was even mentioned in the Craigslist ad. I spied a very nice vintage spinning reel still in the box with instructions.

"How much?"

"Oh - that's not for sale. We want to keep that." I started to say, "Gee, I just spent $20.00 in gas to get to your remote burg only to find myself at a kindergarten Show and Tell", but, gentleman that I am, I bit my tongue.

At an estate sale, same weekend - In the glass case, by the cashier, you know, the one with all the junk jewelry priced about 20X retail that they haven't been able to pawn off on some sap in previous sales, I spy a forelorn penny and dime. Both look to be in poor shape but I'm guessing they're a wheatie and a silver. I ask to see them. Under the window light, I think I can make out a 1922 Wheat and an 1890 Seated Liberty.

With my mesmorizing negotiating skills, I ask, "How much?" She then says, "I found these in the bottom of an old jar, I better look at them." Pulls out a magnifying glass and goes, "Oh, these are old! I better look them up on eBay. Do you live in the neighborhood?" (No, I just wasted $20.00 in gas to get to your worthless rip-off.) "Better yet, why don't you give me your name and number and I'll call you when I figure out what they're worth! Oh, and it my be next week before I can call you." So I write down "Felton Grabder" and a buddy's phone number.
Angry now, I make one last pass and in some hideously over-priced set of golf clubs I see an old vintage wooden shaft putter. Now, in a superior negotiating frenzy, I ask, "How much?" She examines said stick and goes, "Wow! I bet that's at least a hundred years old! I wonder if I can find it on eBay?" I said, "I doubt it's that old, as its a Ben Hogan, and my dad knew Ben." "Oh, ok - well I still have your number!" I started to ask if she had any full cans of gas so I could burn down this abortion of an estate sale, but I'm sure she'd have to call me on that one too after finding out what a gallon goes for on eBay.
They don't pull that crap with me.. I tell them a price Iam going to pay an I say that is the price you don't like it keep it.. When they bring up Ebay if I am Mad enough I will say this isn't Ebay if I wanted to pay Ebay prices I would be at home on Ebay not here at this sale.. My wife get's embrassed but I am polite to a point but if they want to get rude or play games I speak my mind...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"How much?"

I usually just walk away laughing after a certain point.

I saw about 15 old Hanna Barbera spoons this weekend at a sale. I asked how much for all of them, and she pulled out her price list for what she sells them for at flea markets. I laughed and said I'm not interested in paying flea market prices and just walked away.

I walk away laughing pretty often.

Like creeper said, if I wanted to pay ebay prices, I would be at home shopping on ebay. It's amazing how many sellers just don't get that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread