I have just noticed, the trash we find can actually have value :o

Aluminum: .70 cents per pound

Copper: 1.70 per pound

Nickel: 6.79 per pound

Lead: .39 per pound

Tin: 3.28 per pound

Zinc: .90 per pound

Antique Bricks: .32 per pound

Not to mention all the hardware you find can be sold, along with golfballs you find in the woods, and cans and bottles are returnable for 5, 10, or 15 cents....If you can think of anything else post it :)

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true Jake if you want to turn your hobby into a job. I personally don't want to make THing a chore. I just do it for fun and to occupy my time as well as satisfy my curiosity about history and amateur archaeology. I have seen a lot of people who are scrappers, they hit all the dumpsters and pull out the cans and anything else that might have the least value. Also there are those that hit all the garage sales, the ones that arrive at daylight in hopes of beating everyone else to the best finds. They usually have a pickup or van piled high with goodies and then they sell themin their own garage sale or ebay them and make a little cash from them. A lot of retired people do this to supplement their income and a lot of them have to just to make ends meet. Luckily I don't have to but I'm not putting them down if they do. I admire them in a way 'cause it takes them off public support. So, for the time being I'll leave profit taking to those who really need it and I'll continue to have fun with my hobby. You make an excellent point however, there are a lot of raw products out there that essentially are wasted unless salvaged by someone. That's using your head and you are to be commended. JIM

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I myself do not scrap metal, but i dont throw it away...all the brass and copper scrap i find i save because it can be worth alot in the future if metal prices ever rise, but i do save all the golf balls i find and sell em when i go to the flea market for .10 cents each ;D The harware and nuts and bolts and stuff i find i clean up and throw in a jar to use if i ever need one...My grandma used to buy things at the flea market and re-sel them at their real value and she made alot of profit off of that, but i think eventually she wanted to keep the stuff not sell it :D Thats the reason i think it would be hard for me to ever open a coin store, cause i would wanna keep all the coins not sell em ::)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't blame you for wanting to keep'em Jake. I don't have many but I want to keep them. Oh, I have traded a few now and then but for something I needed in my collection. They're strictly for my enjoyment and to pass on to my kids and grandkids. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread