Someone bit the bullet!

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this beauty today. It's my first 3 ringer. It's .54 cal. and seems to have uniform teeth marks on both sides. If anyone has any additional information, it would be appreciated. Found it here in Missouri, on a battlefield (permission.) 20180214_123957.jpg 20180214_123929.jpg 20180214_124044.jpg 20180214_124114.jpg

Upvote 6

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard stories of using bullets to bite down on when they performed battlefield surgeries, but they may only be just that, stories. Nice finds regardless.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it may be rodent bite marks. Looks like they are on both sides and small. I may be wrong. Great find!!!

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting with teeth marks. They always said they had people bit a bullet when doing amputations, etc., wonder if that might have been the case here since I would think you'd be biting pretty hard to leave marks like that.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it may be rodent bite marks. Looks like they are on both sides and small. I may be wrong. Great find!!!

When I looked at it the marks more looked like molar indentions to me. Anyone a dentist here?

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I looked at it the marks more looked like molar indentions to me. Anyone a dentist here?

May be, but they look awful small to me. Tennessee Jeff here in middle, TN has dug a lot of rodent chewed bullets and a lot of them look like that. Check out his youtube channel. Like I said before, I might be wrong.

OP
OP
Digalotajunk

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. Does not look like rodent. They are bigger and more uniform than being nibbled. If it's an animal mark, i would think dog or coyote. I second that we need a dentist.

OP
OP
Digalotajunk

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May be, but they look awful small to me. Tennessee Jeff here in middle, TN has dug a lot of rodent chewed bullets and a lot of them look like that. Check out his youtube channel. Like I said before, I might be wrong.
Awesome! I'll be checkin that out! Thanks

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raccoons and opossums chew them with their back teeth and can bite down pretty hard. Everyone says the lead tastes sweet to them is why they do it. It's pure lead too so it's pretty soft. Call in the dentist...LOL

OP
OP
Digalotajunk

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Read too much that says biting a bullet for pain is a wives tale. But, bullets have been found chewed by humans.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raccoons and opossums chew them with their back teeth and can bite down pretty hard. Everyone says the lead tastes sweet to them is why they do it. It's pure lead too so it's pretty soft. Call in the dentist...LOL

Did not know about lead being sweet nor about the raccoons or opossums. Interesting, learned something new.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read too much that says biting a bullet for pain is a wives tale. But, bullets have been found chewed by humans.

Yes they have. There was one posted on here a bit back that I am almost positive was chewed by a person. I don't think it was for pain because it was chewed all the way around next to the end. I think if I was biting a bullet for pain, it would be a solid single bite that didn't let up. I'm not the kind of man that could stand something with that much pain anyway. They would just need to shoot me and get me out of my misery. Good Luck on whatever you find.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if they had to saw off my leg with a bayonet there would be nothing left of that bullet or the one who lopped off my led or arm lol interesting find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions