SPAM!

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn said:
SPAM I love it, regular,bacon and the new black pepper that I haven't opened yet. My favorite fixing is fried on bread. I always carry some on the motorhome. Frank

Urrrpp ... I don't want to know what Hormel grinds up to make Spam. Hope you don't feed this junk to your dog. Way too high in fat and salt.

Just for grins, the ingredient label.

chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added
salt (for binding, flavor, and firmness)
water (to help in mixing)
sugar (for flavor)
sodium Nitrite (for color and as a preservative)

Note that the ingredients are listed in order of highest to lowest volume per can.

M

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The primary ingredient in Spam is chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham. This ratio varies according to ham and pork prices. The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in lunchmeat, nor does it allow pig snouts, lips, or ears. The second ingredient is salt, added for flavor and for use as a preservative. Also, a small amount of water is used to bind all ingredients together. Sugar is also included for flavor. Finally, sodium nitrate is added to prevent botulism and acts as a preservative as well. It is the sodium nitrite that gives Spam its bright pink color—without it, Spam would discolor and become brown.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The primary ingredient in Spam is chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham. This ratio varies according to ham and pork prices. The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in lunchmeat, nor does it allow pig snouts, lips, or ears. The second ingredient is salt, added for flavor and for use as a preservative. Also, a small amount of water is used to bind all ingredients together. Sugar is also included for flavor. Finally, sodium nitrate is added to prevent botulism and acts as a preservative as well. It is the sodium nitrite that gives Spam its bright pink color—without it, Spam would discolor and become brown.

Ain't nothing like Spam from our time!

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrgggghhh! Well at least ya ain't talking about scrapple......shiver just remembering my dad eating that when I was little.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I love scrapple too. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg Just don't ask what is in it. I remember my uncle making it. When I stayed on the farm for a while in my youth, it was scrapple and eggs for breakfast almost every morning. Frank

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never ate scrapple but love raw "liver pudding" pretty much looks the same color
but no idea on the taste of scrapple

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrapple? Yuck .... skull scrapings. I'll stick to dandelions and tree roots. Helps me maintain my youthful waistline, not to mention my frighteningly good looks. <lol>

image-3934660272.jpg

M

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I thought it was the leaves of dandelions that were used to make the wine.
Liver!!! I can't eat liver it gives me kidney stones. I took the kids, years back, to Disney World. Ever restraint we stopped at had a special on liver and onions. I had it for breakfast, lunch and supper, loved the taste. I got up at about 5 the next morning with what felt like a knife stuck in my back. The kids dragged me to the car and my oldest son drove to the hospital. They gave me a shot of morphine and I felt like I was floating above the gurney. The doc ask what I had to eat the prior day. I told him and his reply was, " Never Eat Liver Again". I haven't and I have never had another kidney stone. Frank

Attachments

• hand print_edited-2.jpg
    hand print_edited-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 69

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it was the leaves of dandelions that were used to make the wine.
Liver!!! I can't eat liver it gives me kidney stones. I took the kids, years back, to Disney World. Ever restraint we stopped at had a special on liver and onions. I had it for breakfast, lunch and supper, loved the taste. I got up at about 5 the next morning with what felt like a knife stuck in my back. The kids dragged me to the car and my oldest son drove to the hospital. They gave me a shot of morphine and I felt like I was floating above the gurney. The doc ask what I had to eat the prior day. I told him and his reply was, " Never Eat Liver Again". I haven't and I have never had another kidney stone. Frank
This man named Harley,must of been 65,had a bunch of us kids go pick sacks full of the blossoms,had a sip of the finished product and Did'nt like it!!!!!!!!!! What did I know 49 years ago! I like it now,just have to make it yourself.Good old Mr. D,he knew his wines!

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I've diverted this thread from Spam to dandelions, I might as well mention that several recipe books are available covering unique ways to prepare the "lawn greens". I'm tempted to order one of the cookbooks. After all, my dandelion garden is the pride of the neighborhood. All natural, not laced with harmful lawn chemicals. OK a few rabbits and skunks wander through the yard now and then. No big deal, the harvested greens can be washed off.

Years ago I did taste dandelion salad. Was bitter as heck. Probably not prepared well. Mom was not a great cook.

M

Last edited:
OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Moonrover said:
Now that I've diverted this thread from Spam to dandelions, I might as well mention that several recipe books are available covering unique ways to prepare the "lawn greens". I'm tempted to order one of the cookbooks. After all, my dandelion garden is the pride of the neighborhood. All natural, not laced with harmful lawn chemicals. OK a few rabbits and skunks wander through the yard now and then. No big deal, the harvested greens can be washed off.

Years ago I did taste dandelion salad. Was bitter as heck. Probably not prepared well. Mom was not a great cook.

M

Well talking about dandelions is better then talking about a pork product.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
ticm said:
Well talking about dandelions is better then talking about a pork product.

I'm anxiously waiting for an "attaboy" from the Sierra Club. Maybe they have yet to get over my spotted owl recipe book.

M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread