North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Silver 8 reale *** UPDATE*** A 1700's COUNTERFEIT !!! @@

I'm hoping like heck this is what I think it is. I'm hoping this is a piece of Spanish silver. If so, it's by far my best coin ever! Can someone tell me what it is? Age? Is it real?
I can make out the following:
"SPAN ET IN?" on one side,
and "Carolus" on the other side.
If it were all in one piece it would be about the size of a half dollar maybe.
The edge has strange symbols on it too.
I was hunting around in the field next to the old 1830 house in the Morrisville battlefield area today.
I will post my other finds tomorrow. I am a bit excited right now, so I wanted to get this piece posted first. I almost didn't even bother digging this up. Just before this I had dug up a piece of wire, and filled in the hole. Not even a foot away I got another signal. I thought it would be another piece of wire, so I wasn't going to dig it. Now I am VERY glad I did.
Please tell me this is the real thing. :o
The Mighty Tesoro may have done me proud again. ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,911
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,877
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,806
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,810
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,828
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,835
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,850
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,870
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,862
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,853
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MY BEST FIND EVER!!! *Spanish Silver* (I hope)

ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
WAY TO GO!!!!!

MM,

You have come a long way! Congratulations on this as well as all your recent, fantastic recoveries. Your have literally TRANSFORMED yourself this year. I remember in early spring you were talking about your difficulty in finding anything earlier than the 1940's. You deserve a BIG pat on the back! Now, you're bringing home GREAT old coins and relics EVERY time out. Bravo!

Be forewarned! This is the point at which it gets exhilarating--and addictive. ;) Once you start getting the good stuff, there is no turning back. It has been great to watch you grow as a detectorist this year. And we're all here to support you every step along the way in the future, too. Congratulations again!

Regards,

Buckleboy

BB,
Thanks so much. Not bad for a guy with a $200 detector, huh? ;D I love MDing the old properties. They have become my favorite type of MDing.
I was getting frustrated before because I wasn't finding any old silver. I was getting ready to buy a White's MXT or a Minelab, but my Tesoro seems to hold it's own. I dig a lot of iron, but it finds the good stuff too. That 1923 Merc I found in the woods a few weeks back was my oldest silver to date, until today's find.
Mirage said something to me that made sense (and saved me about $700 ;) ). He basically just said if I'm not finding the silver coins but am consistently finding deep 1800's buttons, then the silver may not be where I'm hunting. "Thanks Mirage".
I feel at home with my machine after so many hours of hunting with it.
I do feel I've come a long way this year, so "thank you".
-Doug-

You're welcome! Keep in mind that the Silver uMax is my back-up machine. ;) It's a great machine for the price.

-BB

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a "reale" cool find!!!

Now I'm trying to figure out how many cents was represented by a cut that size. An 8-Reale passed as a Dollar up to the 1850s, and it was broken up into 8 bits, each being worth 12 1/2 cents. An 8 reale was usually cut into quarters each being worth two bits or 25 cents (the term "two bits" is still sometimes used to refer to a Quarter). So if a 4-Reale coins is 4 bits or 50 cents than a quarter cut of it would be 12 1/2 cents. But your cut's bigger than 1/4 of the coin. Maybe it's like 15 or 20 cents. I'll spare everyone my dissertation on how the short-lived 20-cent piece came into being though.

WTG MM!!!!

SgtSki

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Re: MY BEST FIND EVER!!! *Spanish Silver* 8 Reale !!! Carolus

K, I am gonna have to invest some money in a liquid proof keyboard. Got some drool on it. ;D
Seriously cool find. That would make my pirate heart proud!
WTG
vegasmtl

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Couldn't have happened to a more determined MDer than you MM......Big Congrat's on a Great Find!!!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@#&%** I missed that one. I told you I did not find it all. I should have searched that area harder. Was it in the grass area with the trees to the right of the house, the opposite side that the driveway is on? Good luck and can't wait to see more pics, Bryan

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: That's a "reale" cool find!!!

SgtSki in MI said:
Now I'm trying to figure out how many cents was represented by a cut that size. An 8-Reale passed as a Dollar up to the 1850s, and it was broken up into 8 bits, each being worth 12 1/2 cents. An 8 reale was usually cut into quarters each being worth two bits or 25 cents (the term "two bits" is still sometimes used to refer to a Quarter). So if a 4-Reale coins is 4 bits or 50 cents than a quarter cut of it would be 12 1/2 cents. But your cut's bigger than 1/4 of the coin. Maybe it's like 15 or 20 cents. I'll spare everyone my dissertation on how the short-lived 20-cent piece came into being though.

WTG MM!!!!

SgtSki

Sgt,
That's too much math for me. ;)
I thought I had 3 pieces of an 8 reale? At least that's what it looks like to me size-wise. Is that right?
I don't know squat about these old coins except what I just learned from the TN members above.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Couldn't have happened to a more determined MDer than you MM......Big Congrat's on a Great Find!!!

Thanks Civil.
I greatly appreciate that. I think my Tesoro sees me more than my family. I love this hobby, and go out MDing whenever I get ANY time to myself.
HH this week.
-Doug-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OHHHHHHHH!!!!! MM!!!! :o I KNOW you're ONE happy hunter!!!!! :o What a find!!!!!

Had to be a happy dance right there!!!!

02snoopy.gif

Many congrats to ya!!!! You did good!!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

comisoas said:
@#&%** I missed that one. I told you I did not find it all. I should have searched that area harder. Was it in the grass area with the trees to the right of the house, the opposite side that the driveway is on? Good luck and can't wait to see more pics, Bryan

Bryan,
I want to thank you for NOT finding it. ;D There is so much area to cover in that field area, it would be impossible to get it all. I have some other CW items I will be posting this a.m. that I found in that field too.
As far as "where" I found it..... It was in the large field on the right side of the house about 50 yards from the house. Real close to a telephone pole in that area. I kept digging up pieces of large wire out in that area, and almost didn't dig this silver target. :o
This was like finding a needle in a hatstack really. You can bet I'll be out there looking for more "needles" though.
If you want to go back out there with me on a Sat. just let me know.
Thanks and HH (Happy Holidays).
-Doug-

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Doug,

You did it! You made a find that you've been dreaming about, hoping you would one day get. And now it's in your hands. ::)

Great finds come to those who are patient, yet persistant. Congrats, buddy, for finding that "almost passed up" Reale piece. You will now be second guessing any signal you think you will pass up. You're right. That may have been a needle in the haystack, but there is more than one needle there. Who knows what you will be digging up there next? If you can find an old spanish silver from there, you've just opened the door for real old American silver/coppers too.

Nice job! I know where you're gonna be 'tecting for the rest of the year. ;D

CAPTN SE
Dan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find. Now go out and look for a concentration of iron in that field. Should you find it you will have a lot more to post!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Doug,

You did it! You made a find that you've been dreaming about, hoping you would one day get. And now it's in your hands. ::)

Great finds come to those who are patient, yet persistant. Congrats, buddy, for finding that "almost passed up" Reale piece. You will now be second guessing any signal you think you will pass up. You're right. That may have been a needle in the haystack, but there is more than one needle there. Who knows what you will be digging up there next? If you can find an old spanish silver from there, you've just opened the door for real old American silver/coppers too.

Nice job! I know where you're gonna be 'tecting for the rest of the year. ;D

CAPTN SE
Dan

Thank you Dan.
I can't wait to get back out there & try again! ;D I'm digging ALL "iffy" signals out there from now on. ;)
-Doug-

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME FIND BUD! Now this is where it really starts to get ADDICTING. That first MAJOR find really gets the blood pumping. You are a good friend and I am really glad to see that you found this piece of Spanish Silver. That is really an awesome feat bud! Especially in North Carolina!! You are right about Civil War soldiers carrying these silvers during the war. One was found where I hunt by a hunting buddy of mine. Silver is Silver is Silver. Even after 1857, people still used them for currency which explains why the soldiers would have had them. Really cool piece of history and a great find on that Tesoro! Keep at it bud! ;)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
AWESOME FIND BUD! Now this is where it really starts to get ADDICTING. That first MAJOR find really gets the blood pumping. You are a good friend and I am really glad to see that you found this piece of Spanish Silver. That is really an awesome feat bud! Especially in North Carolina!! You are right about Civil War soldiers carrying these silvers during the war. One was found where I hunt by a hunting buddy of mine. Silver is Silver is Silver. Even after 1857, people still used them for currency which explains why the soldiers would have had them. Really cool piece of history and a great find on that Tesoro! Keep at it bud! ;)

Thanks Josh.
This site has started out to be as fun as that farm I've hit this last year. I have a lot more to cover though.
The Tesoro did me proud!
-Doug-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

This coin should be on the Banner now!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
This coin should be on the Banner now!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Thank Bud.
Me on the banner? I can't imagine. ;) Then I'd REALLY be hooked on this hobby!
-Doug-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

I am already hooked on metal detecting, but this is what got Stacia hooked on me. :D :D :D

Attachments

• UglyFeet.jpg
    UglyFeet.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,827
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
I am already hooked on metal detecting, but this is what got Stacia hooked on me. :D :D :D

Holy smokes! That's a real feat feet.
You can cut a nice plug out with those nails. ;)
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread