billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an "estate" sale where a fellow is selling his departed parent's and family's 5 acres and older home. He and his dad had a motorcycle repair shop for almost 50 years....

Motorcycles of the 1960's & up: Honda, Sukiyaki, Yamaha, and assorted other brands. Old cycles outside under brush, trees, and laying in the grass. Inside a 30'x50' tin building with only an 18" wide pathway from the middle toward each end.... It's 3' to 5' of stuff between the pathway to the building walls.... Then the rafters and ceiling joists were loaded with gas tanks and loads of plastic airplane and ship kits by Monogram and Revell Models.... You can't see stuff for all the stuff being in the way....

It was an advertised sale, but because it was so close to the house, I went the afternoon before and bought three old hand saws and a rusty cast iron hand cranked saw tooth machine that puts the set into all the sharpened teeth any width blade up to 2" wide. He sold the rusty tooth-setter for $5. While there, against the back wall in the center of the building, I saw an old 3-drawer short, but deep, wooden cabinet with two of the drawers filled with ammo....

I came back on the official first day and quickly filled a 5 gallon bucket with original paper boxes of spent brass and live ammo. There were 5 boxes of 20 ga. shotgun shells, 300 rounds of target plus a box of "Wad cutters", and a sealed bag with 100 rounds of live blunt-bullet ammo all for a .38 Special, two boxes of live 308, &.25 rifle ammo. There are 20 boxes of empty brass for 8mm, 308, and 30-30.... Finally, sealed and open plastic boxes with 250 rounds of .22 shorts, and the same for longs, and 2,000 rounds of Federal and Winchester .22 long rifles in 4 bricks of 500. Three of the four bricks are still sealed and all are full of 10 boxes of 50 count long rifles. Also one sealed and two 7/8-full of one pound cans of "Military rifle" smokeless powder and 500 rifle primers. When I got home, the plastic paint bucket and contents weighed 42 pounds on the bathroom scales. Paid $15....

My real question here is about what price do I sell the various empty rifle cartridges and cans of dry smokeless powder for to those that reload their own?

Also, he had a small boat trailer with leaf springs, a tilting frame, and 12" hubs. He said he had some old wheels/tires that held air if I wanted to change them out to get it home. Then, we found that the trailer's coupling ball hitch was bad. So, he said, "I'll take $15 for it if you'll find yourself a new hitch." I need a small trailer for my new wood splitter because with the tilting frame and dual leaf spring suspension, I can load the trailer with splitter and go a lot smoother and faster down the highway at 60mph. Found a 2" Reese Class II hitch at Lowes for under $25....

Beginning on a Wednesday, it's been a good L O N G weekend...:tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 058.JPG
    Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 058.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 053.JPG
    Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 053.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • PATHWAY INSIDE BLG.  Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 038.JPG
    PATHWAY INSIDE BLG. Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 038.JPG
    965.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 033.JPG
    Oakridge 5 acre estate sale 033.JPG
    679.9 KB · Views: 134
  • $15 dollar trailer 002.JPG
    $15 dollar trailer 002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • $15 dollar trailer 011.JPG
    $15 dollar trailer 011.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 132

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, where is the ammo?

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, where is the ammo?

That's a good question!!!

I had so much trouble loading the others in the first post. Each time I tried, the disclaimer came up that the file was too large. So, I had to drop from 5 pics to 4, then 4 to 3, finally from 3 pic uploads to 2 before it would take them. Then, I began to upload 2 pics three different times....

Below, Pics #1 & #2 are the boxes of empty hulls with the top view the full bucket.
Pic #6 and #8 show the live ammo.

Here's what I could shoot in the dark tonight....:tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• $15 Ammo 005.JPG
    $15 Ammo 005.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
  • $15 Ammo 002.JPG
    $15 Ammo 002.JPG
    764.5 KB · Views: 139
  • $15 Ammo 008.JPG
    $15 Ammo 008.JPG
    958.3 KB · Views: 152
  • $15 Ammo 006.JPG
    $15 Ammo 006.JPG
    951.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
To billjustbill - I hate you! :laughing7:

Awesome haul!! Geez, you really find some great deals in your area!! :thumbsup:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a flea market a while back and saw someone selling ammo. It was the first time that I had seen something like that. I remember the first time that I saw guns for sale at a flea market. This was in Pennsylvania where I guess it is legal. I have never seen them here in Maryland.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To billjustbill - I hate you! :laughing7:

Awesome haul!! Geez, you really find some great deals in your area!! :thumbsup:

KCM,

Some months it's "Feast or Famine".... Let me tell you about an estate sale that began last at 8:00 a.m. Thursday morning.... an hour before the other sale where I found all the ammo that started at 9:00....

There was a smaller box with six pairs of pliers in the bottom sitting on top of a stack of cardboard boxes which were on top of a tall table. On one side, it was marked ".50-cents Each". I looked and picked through the sets and saw something I've never touched.... I asked the fellow overseeing the garage, "How much for the whole box?"

He said as he paused and looked inside, "Ummm. You can have it all for $2." I think I nodded my head at the speed of sound, so he marked the outside of the box for when the checkout lady took the money.

Among all the ordinary pliers, there, inside that small paper box, was one pair stamped: "FORD". My fingers moved slowly over the old-style flowing cursive writing. Adjustable Monkey wrenches, individual box end, socket end, and open end wrenches with the "FORD" stamp, I've seen many, but only in pictures have I seen Ford pliers. And, I got mine for .33 cents...

Then, on a cold windy Saturday morning, there were very few garage sales. So, my wife and I went to the monthly flea market. It was past 10:00 by the time we got though most of the vendors when I saw, not ONE, but TWO bright orange clamps I'd been hunting for the last several years!!!

I hadn't found much even though we started in the far back lot first. But, in the first lot nearest the main traffic street, a younger couple had a lot of things, some were for gals and the other half was for guys that was spread out on a silver tarp.

When I built the 12'x33' addition to the end of my workshop, I used I-beams for the center truss and above the 8' wide roll-up door. I've got a rolling trolley inside that rides under the center truss across the 12' span, but the I-beam over the entrance roll-up door is exposed to the outside elements and a trolley will rust or it would have to be taken down each time. I'd been hunting these I-beam clamps to use to hook a winch to so I can lift things off the pickup bed and raise the front end of my riding mower to get under it to sharpen all three blades. Found two of these heavy-duty clamps that appear brand new; they even have the clear scratch-cover over each one's serial number I.D. tags. They are each rated at 1-ton. Got both for a total of $25..... Here's the identical one for sale at Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064BDMY?tag=wmtogr-20

No grams of gold this weekend, but found gallons of pumping Adrenalin! :tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• Ford pliers from Estate sale & Jet I-beam clamps from Flea Mkt 007.JPG
    Ford pliers from Estate sale & Jet I-beam clamps from Flea Mkt 007.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 71
  • Ford pliers from Estate sale & Jet I-beam clamps from Flea Mkt 008.JPG
    Ford pliers from Estate sale & Jet I-beam clamps from Flea Mkt 008.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$15-$20 on the 500 round bricks.

$5-$6 on the CB's if full.

Those wildcat boxes are neat.. I'd be glad to take those off your hands!

Also.. looks like it was a beautiful day in Texas; wish I was there.

Looks like a good hunting trip.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$15-$20 on the 500 round bricks.

$5-$6 on the CB's if full.

Those wildcat boxes are neat.. I'd be glad to take those off your hands!

Also.. looks like it was a beautiful day in Texas; wish I was there.

Looks like a good hunting trip.

Thanks for the help. Any .22 ammo, especially at Walmarts, is like finding "hen's teeth". That's the only caliber that Walmart still has a limit of 3 boxes.

How much do you sell the spent rifle shells for per box?

Thanks,
Bill

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You may have all those great deals down there, but I don't have to deal with PEOPLE all the time up here. ;D Instead, we only have skeeters, skunks, groundhogs, gophers, bear, whitetail deer, squirrels, wolves, coyotes, foxes, badger, porcupine, bobcat, elk, and the occasional moose. :occasion14: ...But then there's also all the wind, 17-months-per-year of winter, water table that stays within 3' of the surface year round, 20+ miles of gravel roads, 10' high snow drifts....oh, and did I mention the skunks and skeeters?? :BangHead:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the help. Any .22 ammo, especially at Walmarts, is like finding "hen's teeth". That's the only caliber that Walmart still has a limit of 3 boxes.

Thanks,
Bill

When you find out, let me know. I've got about 360 spent 30-cal casings, mostly from 30-06. Got rid of the 30-06 many years ago and eyesight prevents me from shooting rifles anymore. :crybaby2:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks,
Bill

Yea.. the .22 ammo was a little scarce for a while. I don't have any problem finding it currently. 500 round bricks are pretty common now; $30-$40 per brick.. depending on manufacturer, type etc. $20-$30 a brick..is what I would consider to be a fair price for what u have. Of course; it's really worth whatever the highest offer is.

Can't comment on brass.. I don't reload. However; I think you should consider that some of those older boxes may have some collector value.

For example.. .22 wildcats got me interested just for the box. So, if I'm interested; someone else probably will be as well.

In any case.. I think it's fair to say you made a good find and shouldn't be to hard to get some more estate sale cash in your hands from it.

I like the fact that those wildcats have a Target price tag.. been a long time since target sold ammo.

If you find that you can't get rid of them; let me know. I'd like to put them into my collection.

Check the big online gun auction site.. you can get some idea of ammo and brass prices.

Danny..

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I was at a flea market a while back and saw someone selling ammo. It was the first time that I had seen something like that. I remember the first time that I saw guns for sale at a flea market. This was in Pennsylvania where I guess it is legal. I have never seen them here in Maryland.
MD, Mass, NY & CA etc.. are behind enemy lines.. Most of the rest of us still have our rights intact. Here in Tennessee it's very common to see guns and ammo for sale at the local flea markets. Ammo in all the stores, Walmart, etc.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I can't comment on the ammo & brass but there was a ton of motorcycle parts that would sell for good money.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill.

The boxes you have don't really date back that far. The oldest of the bunch, that i can see, is the Western Super X and Winchester stuff. Its probably early to mid 1960s with the rest of the stuff ranging from a bit earlier, possibly 1940s to the 80s.

Old ammo can be a bit dicey when it comes down to shooting it. Factory ammo that has been stored well should be fine but nobody likes a hang fire, especially more then one. If anything looks like a reload, (box notes for load recipe, cast lead projectiles, mismatched primer color to case) i'd just pull them apart and use for components. I have tons of that kind of stuff and will usually break it all down to be reloaded for my tastes.

The boxes hold most of the lots value. I usually keep them in a box until i have enough to take down to my gunsmith and trade them for services. He collects them and is happy to trade work for new examples of cartridges.

The powder might be good but i don't think you will have many takers. Open a can and take a sniff. Does is smell like ammonia? Thats good if it does. Take a few grains out and try lighting them with a match, once the can has been sealed up and put away. If it burns, it should work just fine.

IF you have any boxes of 30-06 brass in the lot, i would be interested in them for reloading.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When vendors bring in thief rifles and pistols to the local flea market here they sell instantly. Always tell when some one brought in a rifle, big mob at the table.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD, Mass, NY & CA etc.. are behind enemy lines.. Most of the rest of us still have our rights intact. Here in Tennessee it's very common to see guns and ammo for sale at the local flea markets. Ammo in all the stores, Walmart, etc.

Now that the local city has fully taken over the monthly flea market, they have put in some new rules:

1. NO ammo sold....period.

2. Only 3 guns displayed out on top of the vendor's table at any one time.

Also, I know an auctioneer and selling firearms has really turned into a problem of people in his profession. Texas has passed some type of legislation that only Registered Gun sellers can sell guns. So, working through a state organization for licensed auctioneers, when a firearm comes up for auction they actually do it this way:

"Alright, folks. What we have here is a box of ammo that fits this gun. You've all had time to see this firearm, so after you're the highest bidder for the ammo, you get the gun for Free...."

He said it's legal for now and it's helped until they can get some of the legislation reworded or repealed...

Bill

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Bill, sounds like I got out of Texas while the gettin' was good! Back when we still had satellite TV, I remember hearing about lots of Liberals that were heading there trying to change things. Guess they succeeded. ...Course, it may be the same way here also. We haven't been to an auction in ages. Last couple of times we went, prices were insane! People acting like hungry wolves, paying nearly as much for something (if not more!!) than what you could buy new.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill.

The boxes you have don't really date back that far. The oldest of the bunch, that i can see, is the Western Super X and Winchester stuff. Its probably early to mid 1960s with the rest of the stuff ranging from a bit earlier, possibly 1940s to the 80s.

Old ammo can be a bit dicey when it comes down to shooting it. Factory ammo that has been stored well should be fine but nobody likes a hang fire, especially more then one. If anything looks like a reload, (box notes for load recipe, cast lead projectiles, mismatched primer color to case) i'd just pull them apart and use for components. I have tons of that kind of stuff and will usually break it all down to be reloaded for my tastes.

The boxes hold most of the lots value. I usually keep them in a box until i have enough to take down to my gunsmith and trade them for services. He collects them and is happy to trade work for new examples of cartridges.

The powder might be good but i don't think you will have many takers. Open a can and take a sniff. Does is smell like ammonia? Thats good if it does. Take a few grains out and try lighting them with a match, once the can has been sealed up and put away. If it burns, it should work just fine.

IF you have any boxes of 30-06 brass in the lot, i would be interested in them for reloading.

I agree on those Old Boxes , That's what caught my eye. A few years back the 22's would have been $$ in the bank.

That said I had/have 2,000 rd's That i'm still Hoarding . I should have sold them & bought more now.

If no-one wants to reload the Brass , I'd try to recycle them , but I think many recycling Co's , Worry's about primers .

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember that a local sporting goods store was going out of business and auctioning off the last of their stock. Some of the people bidding were not happy after they bid on and won some long guns. After paying their bid and the buyers fee, it turns out that the state had a rep there to collect some transfer fees on the spot. I managed to get a nice rifle case and some good gloves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread