Started with a Bucket Lister & Ended with a Morgan Dollar

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Despite the bad weather here I decided to head up to my 1886 permission today to see if it was detectable. The good news is, a lot of it isn’t covered in too much snow.

Here’s a look:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549512905.453579.jpg

Some areas were covered in 4 inches, others completely bare.

I started off finding some wheats and tax tokens which is always a good way to get rolling. Then, about halfway through the hunt I got a whispery signal down deep. I popped the plug and had to keep going. I stuck the shovel down again and saw a dark disc pop up to the top of the hole.

I immediately recognized that it was too big to be a quarter and was hoping I might have a cool token. Then I looked closely and saw that it’s an old Canadian Large Cent. Too cool! I’ve always wanted to find one. In fact, it’s on my list of 30 things this year I’m looking for so I’ve now found 2 of the 30 (aiming for 9).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513175.406618.jpg

Then I got to a place of the yard where there just weren’t many signals and those that were there were mostly trash. After 4 hours total of hunting I couldn’t feel my toes or fingers and the sun was setting so I figured it was time to head home.

I was detecting back to the car (always do this!) and got a 12-42 at 4 inches in the area of the yard where I found the wheats and tax tokens earlier. It sounded like a coin and I was just hoping I might get a silver dime. I’d been thinking in my head that this would be my first trip to that permission without a silver coin.

I dig down to 4 inches. Nothing. Remove one more inch of dirt and BAM! There’s a big, silver, reeded edge sticking straight up out of the hole. I was praying that it wouldn’t be one of those stupid General Mills Olympics tokens from the 90s (already got fooled by one of those in this yard) and was so pumped to see an Eagle when I pulled it out.

My brain temporarily broke when I saw the reverse and I thought “oh sick, a peace dollar”. Then I flipped it over and realized it was an 1883 Morgan! I started praying it would be CC and flipped it over to find an S. Still, no disappointment here. It’s now my oldest silver (still looking for that elusive Seated) and definitely the best looking of my 3 Morgans

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513556.084384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513572.183173.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513581.083506.jpg

Here are some photos of some of my better finds from the outing!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513607.367689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513621.200538.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513633.318077.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep after it folks. You never know when you’re gonna find the next big one!
-W

Upvote 76

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

Despite the bad weather here I decided to head up to my 1886 permission today to see if it was detectable. The good news is, a lot of it isn’t covered in too much snow.

Here’s a look:
View attachment 1678227

I started off finding some wheats and tax tokens which is always a good way to get rolling. Then, about halfway through the hunt I got a whispery signal down deep. I popped the plug and had to keep going. I stuck the shovel down again and saw a dark disc pop up to the top of the hole.

I immediately recognized that it was too big to be a quarter and was hoping I might have a cool token. Then I looked closely and saw that it’s an old Canadian Large Cent. Too cool! I’ve always wanted to find one. In fact, it’s on my list of 30 things this year I’m looking for so I’ve now found 2 of the 30 (aiming for 9).

View attachment 1678229

Then I got to a place of the yard where there just weren’t many signals and those that were there were mostly trash. After 4 hours total of hunting I couldn’t feel my toes or fingers and the sun was setting so I figured it was time to head home.

I was detecting back to the car (always do this!) and got a 12-42 at 4 inches in the area of the yard where I found the wheats and tax tokens earlier. It sounded like a coin and I was just hoping I might get a silver dime. I’d been thinking in my head that this would be my first trip to that permission without a silver coin.

I dig down to 4 inches. Nothing. Remove one more inch of dirt and BAM! There’s a big, silver, reeded edge sticking straight up out of the hole. I was praying that it wouldn’t be one of those stupid General Mills Olympics tokens from the 90s (already got fooled by one of those in this yard) and was so pumped to see an Eagle when I pulled it out.

My brain temporarily broke when I saw the reverse and I thought “oh sick, a peace dollar”. Then I flipped it over and realized it was an 1883 Morgan! I started praying it would be CC and flipped it over to find an S. Still, no disappointment here. It’s now my oldest silver (still looking for that elusive Seated) and definitely the best looking of my 3 Morgans

View attachment 1678231 View attachment 1678232 View attachment 1678233

View attachment 1678234 View attachment 1678235 View attachment 1678236

Thanks for looking and keep after it folks. You never know when you’re gonna find the next big one!
-W

Man that Morgan is 'Mega Nice' Looks Great !

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. I want one. With the massive amount of Morgans minted, you would think they would be found more often. I guess most never made their way into circulation and it was such a big coin to actually lose

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washingtonian, Super day my friend.... Might have to change your name to Morgantonian…. 3 !!! A hew weight, thimble, button and Canadian... you got a good spot buddy... Good luck finding some more goodies. Basssmann

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a hella good hunt. Glad it wasn’t an Olympic token. I’ve never dug one of those ( or a silver dollar )... but I have been fooled by a ridiculous micheal Jordan space jam token. Never thought I would curse mj like that day.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington is sure barfing Morgans like they’re going out of style in the last 4 months! I wonder why...regardless,3 of them is a big number. Some guys who have hunted their entire LIFE have never found one. I’m lucky to have found 2,but I’m not expecting them to be a regular thing! That’s a super nice one too,what a great day. Days like THOSE are what keep us going...KNOWING those targets are out there because we have FOUND some of them.
Awesome stuff man,let’s keep the train a-rollin’!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dedication and patient persistence are the hallmarks of a great detectorist.............you've got 'em and are reaping the rewards.......justly!! Congratulations!!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on the sharp Morgan and Canadian LC. I'm still searching for my first Morgan. Did you find the year on that Canadian LC? I dug one last year (1888).

Thanks MH! Yeah, it’s a 1914 Canadian Large Cent. I’ve now found large cents from Hong Kong, the Dutch East India Company and now Canada, but have yet to find a US large Cent. Hard to find stuff from the mid-1800s around here.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Started with a Bucket Lister & Ended with a Morgan Dollar

Man that Morgan is 'Mega Nice' Looks Great !

Thank you! I was trying to match it up with grades online and I think it’d probably be VF to VF+.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice. I want one. With the massive amount of Morgans minted, you would think they would be found more often. I guess most never made their way into circulation and it was such a big coin to actually lose

Agreed. Seems like you’d have to lose it somewhere difficult to recover. I think my most baffling was the one I found in a sidewalk strip. How do you lose it there and then no one ever notices it until it’s buried. Crazy.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two of the things in these photos. That Navy Uniform button I have, but what is that lead circular thing with the cross bar? Its above the white marble. I have the same exact one and never really knew what it was.

Hey all!

Here’s a look:
View attachment 1678227

View attachment 1678229

View attachment 1678231 View attachment 1678232 View attachment 1678233

View attachment 1678234 View attachment 1678235 View attachment 1678236

-W

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Washingtonian, Super day my friend.... Might have to change your name to Morgantonian…. 3 !!! A hew weight, thimble, button and Canadian... you got a good spot buddy... Good luck finding some more goodies. Basssmann

Thanks so much bass. I appreciate the encouragement. I wouldn’t mind having that nickname and finding some more! Ha! Great job again on that Spanish silver. Way cool.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That’s a hella good hunt. Glad it wasn’t an Olympic token. I’ve never dug one of those ( or a silver dollar )... but I have been fooled by a ridiculous micheal Jordan space jam token. Never thought I would curse mj like that day.

I hate getting tricked like that. Good luck in the silver dollar quest!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Washington is sure barfing Morgans like they’re going out of style in the last 4 months! I wonder why...regardless,3 of them is a big number. Some guys who have hunted their entire LIFE have never found one. I’m lucky to have found 2,but I’m not expecting them to be a regular thing! That’s a super nice one too,what a great day. Days like THOSE are what keep us going...KNOWING those targets are out there because we have FOUND some of them.
Awesome stuff man,let’s keep the train a-rollin’!

Agreed that these are the days we dream of, without a doubt.

That’s a good point about all the Morgan’s here lately. Must be a fluke thing.

In the last year I know of at least 4 other hunters who have found a silver dollar and another guy who also found 3. Crazy!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Dedication and patient persistence are the hallmarks of a great detectorist.............you've got 'em and are reaping the rewards.......justly!! Congratulations!!

Thanks so much Chizzy! Some research, hard work and luck never hurt!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I have found two of the things in these photos. That Navy Uniform button I have, but what is that lead circular thing with the cross bar? Its above the white marble. I have the same exact one and never really knew what it was.

Yeah so that is a hem weight. Around the turn of the century women tied them to the bottom of their dresses to keep them from blowing up with a gust of wind.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah so that is a hem weight. Around the turn of the century women tied them to the bottom of their dresses to keep them from blowing up with a gust of wind.

It was crazy today it hit 80 degrees today with humidity down here. I was sweating my ass off.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wash, Yeah, those hem weights keep the girls out of trouble... lol now the girls wear mini-skirts (yummy), and last month, was ride the subway in your underwear in NYC. This is an every year event in NYC, men and women, no pants day.... lol

1aa.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions