63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was hunting in town I went from door to door asking permission, the worst thing they can say is no. Sometimes I would give them a simple little card telling them about what I was doing but I think it is best to speak with them. If they give you a no then say thank you and mean it. I probed for targets so no big holes, I also carried a piece of cloth just to keep dirt from getting onto the grass as for some deep coins I would still kick out some dirt. Also, for some folks I did some free yard work. Best of luck...........63bkpkr

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when you go up and just come out and ask them if you can detect their yard and say that you will be digging, this is going to guarantee that they are going to say no. Banks could care less about your hobby and are afraid of being sued if you are hurt while there. Myself when I start a new year, even I am self conscious asking permission and I start by offering a business card without my address, just a phone number. Many times after a NO I'll get a call to come out because they remembered some ring or keys they lost. Sometimes they just want to see how MD's work. I offer to have them follow me to watch me hunt and I give them what I find. Most don't accept it as it is only junk or change. Its up to you if you find a gold ring and keep it from them. But if they asked you to find theirs, give it to them as the fun is in the hunt. If your in this hobby for the profit, your in the wrong hobby as you'd make more money working at McD.:coffee2:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I often go to houses and know that most of the time I will get a chance to look. If you have confidence and look presentable and have a few old coins in your pocket to show them what could be in their yard. You often will get permission. Most older people like to know who you are and if you are from around there, tell them who your older relatives are, they may know them, which always helps. Always be most careful with the holes you dig. Replace the grass plug carefully and always express thanks, and show them your finds, you may make a new friend, which leads to more connections and permissions. Good luck.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not everybody hit's $$$ items. I love'ed the time learning and with a good hit my heart would jump! (It this the big one!) It is funny, ya never know what you will find. It fires me up to try to locate a virgin/hunt place. I started with a cheep MD from a recovering "H" user and it was sold @ radioshack. It was ok and it did work after practicing at home a lot before the hunt. I went to a old place where signs of a major past fire. Gold pioneers of the 1849-1852's had make shift houses. I searched and found a solid brass sabre that week. I found some coins & stuff like a old chineese wok iorn metal and glass jars in a dump site. I was walking back to my vehicle and a ranger warned me NO Metal Detecting. I was by the border property line state park/BLM land. I was already done & was leaving. I then bought a nice Vintage 1980's Tesoro Golden Sabre with silent search. It found me a lot of clad and artifacts, super coin machine with all the accept & reject metal dials. I then got into gold searching so I picked up a nice "Whites" MD "GMT Goldmaster & now it is cold outside but warming up. If I hit old coins ok but I am researching for gold. It is a rare factory designed "chest mount" so swinging the wand with coil is lightweight & easy. You will find the members good finds wet you appetite and fill your spirit. I don't plan to get rich but the excersise and positive hunt is en-richening and to share finds & bragging rights to good fortune is gravy on the top.
When it gets to the end of the day I bring a portable stove which uses a butane can (The Chefs use several for a banquet) I bring and cook up a fast hamburger or steak and a cold brew goes good. With friends I do a trade off, 1 digs targets and 1 uses the MD. The 1 with MD drops a item on Target area so the digger hits the spot. We go 50/50! and I bring the food & we half the beer.
Thats how I keep boredom down. Good Luck & Happy Hunting friend, goldentruth.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread