Sterling or not Sterling

saltlake

Greenie
Mar 20, 2009
I have these two item's-- tray about 10 by 6 inches and the other is some kind of a cup.. I wish somebody could tell me if this things are silver.. They have some letter marks. The tray have this eagle head after the letter marks. I try to do the best pictures, so you could see the marks. The tray also have under the mark the number 2460. The marks are actually very odd looking capitol letters. Oh! and the cup have this two like keys one across the other. Both item's weight one on top of the other 15.5 oz. Thank you!

Attachments

• cup2.jpg
    cup2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 369
  • cup1.jpg
    cup1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 369
  • eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 361

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure about American markings for silver, but going on appearances, it doesn't look like silver to me,... then again I might be wrong. That is a sugar bowl on the tray.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The marks on the salver are one of several sets used by the Forbes Silver Company of Meriden, Connecticut (your marks shown at the bottom):

Forbes.jpg

The company was organised in 1894 as a department of Meriden Brittannia Co,, producing silver plate.

The marks on the coal scuttle sugar bowl can’t be discerned from the picture and “crossed keys” were used by a number of makers in a number of countries. Those aren’t British hallmarks though and I would think the item is also silver plate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread