Still learning - are these worked edges?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 20160419_221820.jpg
    20160419_221820.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160419_221433.jpg
    20160419_221433.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is simply my advice. I'm not speaking for anyone else....

Worked or not, I would take the replies you get with a grain of salt. Most people don't take the time to even enlarge the pictures. Especially if it's not a clear cut artifact. Even if you've found flint flakes you'll still be told they are natural. Don't get me wrong, nature can do a lot but not EVERYTHING is natural.

I was told these are natural fractures.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good luck in the future and Don't stop searching because someone here says it's a geofact

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be worked,could be creek battering. Where were they found and could we see the entire piece please?

GR is correct, could easily be creek fractures.....

Just because a rock has a point, that doesn't make it an artifact.......

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks worked on the edges but more pics would help greatly. There is a type of flint here I find sometimes that looks worked when wet but when dry it looks different as more natural. All sides would tell a better story on your pieces. Washing them helps a lot to if you ever post a pic your item should be washed or somebody might call them rocks just because they cant see the work on the stone.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is simply my advice. I'm not speaking for anyone else....

Worked or not, I would take the replies you get with a grain of salt. Most people don't take the time to even enlarge the pictures. Especially if it's not a clear cut artifact. Even if you've found flint flakes you'll still be told they are natural. Don't get me wrong, nature can do a lot but not EVERYTHING is natural.

I was told these are natural fractures.
View attachment 1303624
View attachment 1303627

Good luck in the future and Don't stop searching because someone here says it's a geofact

I not sure who told you those where natural but the one on the right an the one in the center have been worked. The one to the left is a flake from knapping.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He posted a bunch of pieces all at once and he was told the bulk of it was natural, and it was. There were a few pieces like the two here that were worked but not very many.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creek Battering?? Where is the water staining? All rocks submerged in water show some sort of polishing or staining. I wasn't aware secondary pressure flaking was Creek Battering. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or expert to see that is what it was. I always respected your opinions Reap yet your speculative opinions have people climbing on board and enforcing it to the point where someone will say, "I guess it is not" then tosses it back. 3 times now I've seen you suggest obviously worked pieces as natural or the latest Creek Battering?? Then seeing treasure hunter doing the same and then reinforcing his opinion then yours. My eyes are not perfect guys but man your eyes are missing basic common sense clues. Creek Battering although possible would not be as detailed as the flaking pattern of those pieces first shown. I've seen two people asking for help shot down by you two and it would appear that you both are dropping the ball. I'm impressed that you both did not check out my posts and state those Argillite points are just natural. I mean they only show a shape. No flaking. Which you all seem to think is the only clue to run on. I've seen your posts stating the length at which you've been collecting. Yup you have a extra 10 yrs. On me however.....I too have collected points and purchased collections from all over the US. Yet when I look at anything posted here...I look at everything about it. It's sad I even had to write this to two people whose opinions I respected until I've seen the latest round of denials. I wish you both well but ask you..before you supply a heartbreaking opinion that these finders are looking for to go over every inch of that stone before supplying that opinion.

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However in the first pictures posted here...and the reason I asked for more pics was, I noticed patination variation on the flaking. The secondary flaking looks newer then the rest of the piece......Your thoughts on that??

Last edited:

heysharkie

Dec 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point can you explain the patina ton variation and secondary knapping for me.. just learning. Can pm also.thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point, I walked creeks and streams of Missouri for over 20 years looking for artifacts, found tons of flint rocks with chips from tumbling....

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creek Battering?? Where is the water staining? All rocks submerged in water show some sort of polishing or staining. I wasn't aware secondary pressure flaking was Creek Battering. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or expert to see that is what it was. I always respected your opinions Reap yet your speculative opinions have people climbing on board and enforcing it to the point where someone will say, "I guess it is not" then tosses it back. 3 times now I've seen you suggest obviously worked pieces as natural or the latest Creek Battering?? Then seeing treasure hunter doing the same and then reinforcing his opinion then yours. My eyes are not perfect guys but man your eyes are missing basic common sense clues. Creek Battering although possible would not be as detailed as the flaking pattern of those pieces first shown. I've seen two people asking for help shot down by you two and it would appear that you both are dropping the ball. I'm impressed that you both did not check out my posts and state those Argillite points are just natural. I mean they only show a shape. No flaking. Which you all seem to think is the only clue to run on. I've seen your posts stating the length at which you've been collecting. Yup you have a extra 10 yrs. On me however.....I too have collected points and purchased collections from all over the US. Yet when I look at anything posted here...I look at everything about it. It's sad I even had to write this to two people whose opinions I respected until I've seen the latest round of denials. I wish you both well but ask you..before you supply a heartbreaking opinion that these finders are looking for to go over every inch of that stone before supplying that opinion.

Obviously you didn't comprehend my post. I said they COULD be worked or it COULD be creek battering. I never said with 100% certainty that it was either. That is why I asked for more picture and then suddenly his pics disappear and you jump all over me. I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself from now on.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get-the-point I have looked at your post on Omars and the detail you share so helpful. On that comment and this you explain what you would expect to see or not see and that is what is so helpful. This is very new to me and there is so much information it is difficult to know what is correct or incorrect. Comments of "natural stone" do little to help me understand what makes it natural stone and not worked stone. I'm not upset if I've found a natural stone, I'm just trying to learn what characteristics to look for. Your advice is very practical and useful for someone who just picked up some interesting looking rocks in our creek and wants to learn more. Thank you!

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted additional pics on new thread - not sure how to add them to this one

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously you didn't comprehend my post. I said they COULD be worked or it COULD be creek battering. I never said with 100% certainty that it was either. That is why I asked for more picture and then suddenly his pics disappear and you jump all over me. I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself from now on.

No actually Reap I did. I've noticed that once again a suggestion to the contrary formulates, it becomes THE ANSWER! As far as helping people with your experience, help them. Don't be speculative and allow people to run with it. Like I said in my post to you and treasure, I've respected your opinions through the years because you are spot on most of the time. Yes there will be times where it is so evident that a rock is a rock, but when a stone is altered the need for thorough analysis must be done before a concrete opinion is formed. You as well as myself know the difference between Creek Battering and secondary pressure flaking look like. It's random flaking from each impact versus consecutive flaking side by side. Which the posters pieces had. However I also asked for further pics and now after you stated it noticed the pics gone. We both have been helping people here for years. Yes I stepped into the background for a bit, but I still look here daily and try to help with what I can when I can. Your opinion is valued and respected. So be concise with your reply. Your replies play a pivotal role in a collectors learning process.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point I have looked at your post on Omars and the detail you share so helpful. On that comment and this you explain what you would expect to see or not see and that is what is so helpful. This is very new to me and there is so much information it is difficult to know what is correct or incorrect. Comments of "natural stone" do little to help me understand what makes it natural stone and not worked stone. I'm not upset if I've found a natural stone, I'm just trying to learn what characteristics to look for. Your advice is very practical and useful for someone who just picked up some interesting looking rocks in our creek and wants to learn more. Thank you!

You are very welcome. I am sharing my expertise the best I can. Treasure Hunter and Reaper are both highly experienced as well. The information they both supply are very insightful. So pull from there knowledge as well as they have a lot to give. I just want them to be more concise with beginners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions