Still Wild Trust

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TJE, I'm so envious of you being so close this creature! Must make you feel great. I get to see, and sometime get close to some of the squirrels in the yard; but not close enough to feed them. We have a pear, cherry, mini-apricot, and a plum trees in the backyard. I get some pictures of some of the squirrel and birds occasionally. About two weeks ago, I parked by the curb at the front of the house, got out, opened the back 'hatch', and got a bag of groceries. When I closed it, I caught a movement in my peripheral vision. It was one of the squirrels on a telephone pole on the other side of the walk. I said, "Hi there." The squirrel came around on my side of the pole and was about waist high on the pole. I stepped up onto the curb and was only about 3 feet from it. I looked like it was actually listening to me! I don't remember what I said, but I talked to it for over a minute while it just looked at me. I needed to hurry into the house with some things my daughter was needing for what ever it was she was cooking. So I said goodbye and started walking slowly toward the house. The squirrel came around the pole as I walked around to the other side. The last time I looked back, it was still watching me. Kinda makes you feel good/great/special to have something like that happen to you. When we lived in Waco, TX, my wife would sit in the backyard and hold pecans between her thumb and finger. Some of the squirrels would occasionally have enough 'bravery' to come take them from her hand. I never realized until too late that I could have been taking pictures of this!
Please! Keep the pictures coming. Everybody is really enjoying them.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee then you were pretty close to her to get those pictures, very special! And those "lost senses"...they're still there & can be re-acquired, just takes practice like anything.:thumbsup: Again...super pictures!
Practice,practice,practice CK :thumbsup:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice close-up pictures! Looks like she is getting a lot more trusting.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice close-up pictures! Looks like she is getting a lot more trusting.
About 10 ft from her old digger...her kits gotta be ready to leave the den/learn to hunt soon! ;)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then you will probably have several foxes running around the pit. You will then have to be a little more careful operating the machinery?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...it's sure going to be fun/nice/ to see those kits......this maybe the longest thread ever!:laughing7:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then you will probably have several foxes running around the pit. You will then have to be a little more careful operating the machinery?
Actually, the last family..(believe it was her mother/and her, one of the kits),too smart! ;) I never seen them in danger around equipment/machinery.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...it's sure going to be fun/nice/ to see those kits......this maybe the longest thread ever!:laughing7:

Hope so CK, (and all works out with mother nature)...and nothing happens to momma!..Seen she had a wound on one front leg just below her chest, so we will see. (fingers crossed) :thumbsup:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( I'm so sorry to hear about her leg wound TJE, hope it's not to bad...animals can sure be hardy so lets hope she's going to be OK, will keep my fingers crossed also.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen the little ones yet? Just wondering.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen the little ones yet? Just wondering.
Not yet old digger,...seen her (up close) today again CK, her wound that was straight through the hide to the meat is scabbing up, so looks good! she's obviously been (licking) kept it clean...and she's not favoring (limping) the leg. :thumbsup:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to hear she's OK so far TJE, thanks for the update, any idea what may have happened to her? I've got a sad critter report, one of the Heron's here is walking around with a hanging down wing, I guess it's broken. But he's still around, this happened about 3 days ago, so guess he's doing OK just walking around as there's plenty of minnows for him. This was him a few days before we noticed the wing....

RSCN0665.JPG

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to hear CK, any wildlife institutes in your state that would be willing to help?

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certain now! heh heh, this momma fox was raised and released by humans! :) this was a carpet out of the quarry office that I set out for 'mother nature' to clean (rain)!.....and finally seen her young one, but only 'one'!...no pics yet, but soon. So that tells me she probably lost a couple (usually at least 3 babies we'd see).

Attachments

• 2014-07-23 10.12.26.jpg
    2014-07-23 10.12.26.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 2014-07-23 10.12.47-2-1.jpg
    2014-07-23 10.12.47-2-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2014-07-23 10.13.02-1-1.jpg
    2014-07-23 10.13.02-1-1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 93

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Looks like she found herself a comfortable place to keep a lookout for prey or keep an eye out on the young one.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to hear she's OK so far TJE, thanks for the update, any idea what may have happened to her? I've got a sad critter report, one of the Heron's here is walking around with a hanging down wing, I guess it's broken. But he's still around, this happened about 3 days ago, so guess he's doing OK just walking around as there's plenty of minnows for him. This was him a few days before we noticed the wing....

View attachment 1025520

That's a shame about your heron friend. Do you have an avian center or zoo near you where you take it to? Jut a suggestion. Of coarse you may need to take it to a veterinarian first. :icon_scratch:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh WOW...TJE, she does seem "Very" comfortable there, those are great shots.:icon_thumleft: Sorry if she lost some pups though. :( On the Heron, I saw it today fishing, seems to be doing OK, couldn't see the wing very well, maybe it's not as bad as we thought. Don't know if we could catch it, he sure is a fast walker...always runs away if we get to close. No vets near, only a F. Ranger station about 20 miles away...we're pretty far out & not near any Zoo's or things like that....kind'a live in one. :laughing7:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah old digger, CK,...she makes me chuckle. :laughing7: watch her one day,when a worker cleaned off/broomed a stone slab..he walked away, and she went right over and layed down on the stone he just cleaned heh heh :)
The pup is a good size already..get a pic or two when I can.
Guess you must just let mother nature take it's course eh CK...(being that far out).

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is funny TJE....sounds like our cat whenever hubby puts his nice clean clothes out....guess who ends up on them. :-\ Your fox has "domestic" habits alright.:thumbsup: Can't wait to see the pup. :)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is funny TJE....sounds like our cat whenever hubby puts his nice clean clothes out....guess who ends up on them. :-\ Your fox has "domestic" habits alright.:thumbsup: Can't wait to see the pup. :)
Well...finally got some pics of her one young :) maybe call her/him?...white cheeks! :laughing7:

Attachments

• 2014-07-25 06.55.16.jpg
    2014-07-25 06.55.16.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 2014-07-25 06.59.38-1.jpg
    2014-07-25 06.59.38-1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2014-07-25 06.59.44-1.jpg
    2014-07-25 06.59.44-1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 110

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread