Sudden Wealth, worth the time and money?

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered an original 1964 copy of Sudden Wealth. I will read it and report back to you all.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected copies of everything Dean Miller ever wrote, in all of his pennames; Karl von Mueller, Deek Gladson, etc.; including several back issues of The Prospectors Gazette, and have not been disappointed at all.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well then, if you would, please list the top 5 must have books for the cache hunter.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landman said:
Well then, if you would, please list the top 5 must have books for the cache hunter.

OK. Remember, this list is just my own never humble opinion and opinions are like ------; everybody has one. :)

--Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 (by KVM)
--Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 (by KVM)
--Sudden Wealth (by KVM)
--Search (by Warnke)
--A copy of the Cubs Scout Manual cir. 1960-64. ( an excellent survival handbook written in easy to understand language.)

S

stefen

Add a Saving Account book to the list...you're going to need a money supply until you hit the big time.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Add a Saving Account book to the list...you're going to need a money supply until you hit the big time.

That's the reason Mr. Miller wrote the 2 different The Owlhooter's Manuals under the penname, Deek Gladson. These 2 books contain many ways folks have earned their living while on the move.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received my copy today. Will give a full report on this alleged must have book. My bet at this point is that the T-hunters manual #7 is about all you need, I'll be surprised to find unique must have in addition to the THM#7 info.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landman said:
Just received my copy today. Will give a full report on this alleged must have book. My bet at this point is that the T-hunters manual #7 is about all you need, I'll be surprised to find unique must have in addition to the THM#7 info.

I'm curious as to why you bought it. Why didn't you just get Search instead? :icon_scratch: If you think that TH #7 is all you need of KVM's writings, then that should have been enough for you.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
KvM said that THM6 was ten times THM7. I agree. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortstack said:
landman said:

I'm curious as to why you bought it. Why didn't you just get Search instead? :icon_scratch: If you think that TH #7 is all you need of KVM's writings, then that should have been enough for you.

Are you kidding. The price of the book, rarity and the hype and especially the mystery is a must peek. I've owned Search in the past. Good book. This discussion revolves around the KvM books.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landman said:
Shortstack said:
landman said:

Are you kidding. The price of the book, rarity and the hype and especially the mystery is a must peek. I've owned Search in the past. Good book. This discussion revolves around the KvM books.

I will offer you one final tip. You must read THM #6 and #7 more than once each. In each reading, you will pick up fresh info. KvM wrote those 2 books as illustrations of what some people have been able to do in THing caches. In telling their stories, he also is "teaching" us how it was done. In his own words, his purpose in writing those 2 books was not to take us by the hand and say, "do step 1, step 2, and step 3". His purpose was to make us think. I believe that part of his philosophy was, if a person got something laid at his feet, he had a lot less appreciation for "it", than he'd have if he had to do a little bit of work to earn "it". If you can dig out his pointers, then you'll have learned the techniques needed to dig out info "in the field" when looking for big and little tickets.
Good luck to you.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An interesting point this book SW makes in the first 3 pages. I'll paraphrase: Even a poor man with little of the way of expensive equipment can become wealthy through hard work of research, playing the mental gymnastics of figuring it out, site examination, taking action in the hunt and preservering till a treasure is found. Point being, most money made in life is through having money and the resources to make more money. Sure an idea can make money. But most of us need money to make money in the stock market, real estate or starting a business. Even then the results are predicated on how much money you have to invest. A middle class man usually remains relatively middle class and a wealthy man just has more resources to begin with to move further up the ladder quicker than the middle class guy. That being said with treasure hunting, a poor man can become wealthy with out the chunk of money needed in the above examples. That is one point of the first 3 pages. And it is a cool point.

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Just stumbled upon this topic. This book seems really neat. Hearing about it has me thinking that there may be a point to what I've been looking for. I have pretty much just accepted the fact that looking for silver, or whatever "it" is only worth doing, because it's fun. I'm going to have to check this book out. Maybe it is possible to get something for nothing. . .

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1996 said:
Just stumbled upon this topic. This book seems really neat. Hearing about it has me thinking that there may be a point to what I've been looking for. I have pretty much just accepted the fact that looking for silver, or whatever "it" is only worth doing, because it's fun. I'm going to have to check this book out. Maybe it is possible to get something for nothing. . .

I can just about guarantee you that having a successful treasure hunt will cost you something. A "cost" is not always valued in "monetary" means. A little blood, sweat, and tears comes to mind. Simply investing some time and effort; coupled with common sense thought, can put a "big ticket" into your lap.

Never know.

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
shortstack, your point is well taken, and makes awesome advice. Those words have power.
Just to clarify what i meant, because i did put it out kind of carelessly, what i had in mind when i wrote that post was coming out above board. as in spending $500.00 (or howmuchever) and making your initial investment plus something. All of my ventures at the moment are coming out even, or a little on the negative side, but i enjoy it very much.
For example, i buy a 3 dollar pack of baseball cards because i know there is a good card in the pack. Now that card could be worth 3 dollars, or it could be worth 300 dollars. ALL of mine are coming up on the lower side at the moment. If you were to figure in the time and effort I put into finding these packs, one of the 300 dollar cards would still only make me feel like I was even. If I could pull 2, I would feel like I was on top of things.
so, spend five hundred, get your five hundred back, and any profit is for nothing (money wise) as in the twenty dollars in your pocket came from nowhere. it's not twenty dollars you already had, it's twenty dollars that you created.
(i guess that says a little about how i think, calling it something for nothing, it's definitely something for something, but i do get S**T upon regularly by everyone i come in contact with. i guess that has an effect on ones feeling of self worth, do you know what i'm saying?)
I guess I was just saying that it seems as if there are avenues that work out more as a guarantee when you play the odds. It seems to me that a person could make a living with the right information, and that would be a dream come true for me.: )

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1996 said:
shortstack, your point is well taken, and makes awesome advice. Those words have power.
Just to clarify what i meant, because i did put it out kind of carelessly, what i had in mind when i wrote that post was coming out above board. as in spending $500.00 (or howmuchever) and making your initial investment plus something. All of my ventures at the moment are coming out even, or a little on the negative side, but i enjoy it very much.
For example, i buy a 3 dollar pack of baseball cards because i know there is a good card in the pack. Now that card could be worth 3 dollars, or it could be worth 300 dollars. ALL of mine are coming up on the lower side at the moment. If you were to figure in the time and effort I put into finding these packs, one of the 300 dollar cards would still only make me feel like I was even. If I could pull 2, I would feel like I was on top of things.
so, spend five hundred, get your five hundred back, and any profit is for nothing (money wise) as in the twenty dollars in your pocket came from nowhere. it's not twenty dollars you already had, it's twenty dollars that you created.
(i guess that says a little about how i think, calling it something for nothing, it's definitely something for something, but i do get S**T upon regularly by everyone i come in contact with. i guess that has an effect on ones feeling of self worth, do you know what i'm saying?)
I guess I was just saying that it seems as if there are avenues that work out more as a guarantee when you play the odds. It seems to me that a person could make a living with the right information, and that would be a dream come true for me.: )

:thumbsup: I understand your point now. That's like folks making bids at an auction of storage lockers, sight unseen, when people abandon them. Sometime you're the windshield; sometime you're the bug.
Good luck in you endeavors. ;D

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landman said:
Is Sudden Wealth such a great addition to KvM's #6 and #7 books? If so why?

I have read KvM #6 and #7 many times, and I agree that the primary lesson is AWARENESS of treasure around you right now! Forget about just looking for a dutch oven full of gold coins.

I don't think I have Sudden Wealth and would be very interested in follow up posts on this thread that include 'kernels of wisdom'.

Seems like any thread that includes KvMueller references catches my interest.

I never knew him except through his publications.

He is missed.

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
does the year matter on #7? i see 1966 and 1972 versions

also... #6 seems near impossible to get.. the one copy i found is $140

thanks!

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
idk about sudden wealth, but after reading this topic, i went in search of th books on ebay. since i have a garrett metal detector i bought charles garrett's first guide to coin hunting book. there is some good info in it, but a lot of it is out dated. it is a good read, but as far as facts, buying the newer version would have a difference. of course that is a difference in 70 something to 2000 something and not 60s to 70s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread