Sunday..Inner city park finds

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Had to get out hunting today.Shirked my chores, jumped in my truck, and headed down town.Wanted to check out this fairly large park Ive been eyeballin for awhile.Its in a slummy area but I believe its been around longer than the area has been slummy.I drove all the way around it and picked my point of attack.An old baseball backstop with some older trees around looked like a good bet.I ended up spending what time I had (about 2 1/2 hours) right in that area and wasnt even close to being done there!The ground was hard and most targets were in the 3-4" range.When I quit I simply couldnt dig anymore.Bout wore the flesh off of the palm of my hand forcing my digger through the hard stuff.Found some old , found some new.Found my first Kennedy half (not silver).Ten Wheaties(the oldest is a 20).A 48 Washington...COOL.A few old Canooks including a 65 dime that looks silver?....UHHHH....Another gaming token for the collection....A couple old buttons....A Mackinaw City Pin with a buffalo on it ?(Those were the days...when the bison roamed freely accross the straits)LOL......also two wrap rings.One is aluminum and has Hong Kong on the band. The other is copper(Probably plated at one time) and has the image of Christ."Made in Czekoslovakia"Kinda cool!Ill definitely be back to this park.The 60 yard walk back to my truck,I was swingin but not diggin and was hittin good signals one after another.It was a great day to be out and the whole time I was there I had an awesome Baptist Church Ensemble raisin the roof accross the fenceline.Didnt seem like such a bad place after-all.Well heres the pics....sorry about the crummy pics.I was in my garage and the sun was hangin low.....Great digs to eveyone,....Joe

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 351
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a heck of a day! and plenty of digging.....those inner city parks may have some nice old coins! i have my eye on a couple myself...just finding the time to get to them! Nice job!

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Nice job on the park digs.Looks like you found yourself some happy hunting grounds.That Mackinaw city pin is an interesting find.Any idea on its age?
Best of luck to you. HH!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
groundfisher said:
Nice job on the park digs.Looks like you found yourself some happy hunting grounds.That Mackinaw city pin is an interesting find.Any idea on its age?
Best of luck to you. HH!
Not a clue GF...and to be honest , Im not sure its even a pin.There is no backer.Just an old solder spot.Could have been soldered to any souvernier.Its certainly old ...brass and enamal...Joe

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Joe
glad you got out,
with all the rain, it's hard to believe
that the ground was that hard, must be clay??
Great finds anyway, nice haul, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Looks like you had a great haul and fun! Oh the 1965 dime isnt silver. Ive got one and they stopped making silver in 1964. I know one year off. Still you got a lot of stuff!!! ;D North American coins and prices 2006 is the best book to look all that stuff up in. I always use it!

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
1967 Canadian dimes are silver......Centennial.....they are the ones with the mackerel (fish) on em'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread