DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O yea, thats kinda why I decided to just have the probe put on a new upper shaft so i could use the older one on days I dont need the probe. All I know is that its going to help make a difference and thats what counts

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Garrett and a newly acquired Sunray probe. Initially I got the Garrett Pro pointer to use with my Garrett 2500 detector. I kept using the Pro Pointer when I got the Etrac.

The problem I was having with the Etrac/Propointer combo is that I kept finding multiple targets in the same hole - nails, small junk etc. - with my good find, and using the Propointer can mean a longer recovery time. Unfortunately this was never a problem with the 2500. :(

So after watching BedfordBob in the field with his Sunray probe in action, I picked one up this winter too. While I have yet to try it, I'm anticipating that the discriminating sounds of the Sunray will be welcomed. :icon_thumright:

That's not saying there is anything wrong with the Propointer, though... :)

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Good on you Bobby you have made the right decision. I was out yesterday in a very rubbish filled park using my sunray probe and my Explorer2, Thanks to the probe and target ID I was able distinguish between rubbish targets and good targets. I finished up with over a hundred coins for the day. If I had been using a non discrimating probe eg Garrett I would have wasted a lot of time digging rubbish and come home with a lot less number of coins.

I do own the Garrett probe but its not in the same league as the Sunray especially when you are in areas littered with ring pulls, aluminium bottle tops etc, when the target ID really counts. Seeya Neilo

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mach 1 Pilot said:
I have both the Garrett and a newly acquired Sunray probe. Initially I got the Garrett Pro pointer to use with my Garrett 2500 detector. I kept using the Pro Pointer when I got the Etrac.

The problem I was having with the Etrac/Propointer combo is that I kept finding multiple targets in the same hole - nails, small junk etc. - with my good find, and using the Propointer can mean a longer recovery time. Unfortunately this was never a problem with the 2500. :(

So after watching BedfordBob in the field with his Sunray probe in action, I picked one up this winter too. While I have yet to try it, I'm anticipating that the discriminating sounds of the Sunray will be welcomed. :icon_thumright:

That's always my first thought or question ..... how could anyone think an allmetal probe is better. I've also read about people using the Sunray in pinpoint mode which is another thing that defies logic in my opinion. But whatever.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Iron Patch said:
Mach 1 Pilot said:

That's always my first thought or question ..... how could anyone think an allmetal probe is better. I've also read about people using the Sunray in pinpoint mode which is another thing that defies logic in my opinion. But whatever.

Save your money. A probe is the equivalent to a golf ball scoop.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said Ive got the probe already like 3 times...and obviously the probe isnt a waste of money if a good number of people on here have one. Its going to help, i already know it. Just for the fact that i dont need to keep standing up to recheck my hole is a plus. Yea, i could of got a handheld maybe..but this one is inline so it just goes right into my headphones and its easy as that

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lostlake88 said:
Iron Patch said:
Mach 1 Pilot said:

Save your money. A probe is the equivalent to a golf ball scoop.
?

To each his own I guess. I used to feel the same way until I used one. I have a detector-pro I used for quite a while. I loved it. I now have the Sun-ray to compliment my Explorer. I would feel lost without it. It is a must have. No doubt about it, if you want to get serious in this hobby that is. I was detecting one of my Colonial period sites and hit a very small target I couldn't scramble to find waving the soil over my coil. I took the the Sun-ray and a waved it ONCE over the small plug only to discover it was a tiny cut Spanish 1700's Pisterine. Normally with out the probe I would have gotten frustrated and reburied the plug.
I'm positive we steered you the right way Bobby. I'm I glad we did business together.
If any one else needs a quote or to order a Sun- Ray contact me or PM me for an order.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Can't live without the Probe on my Sovereign,

However I Do not personally think it
is that great on the Explorer.
or any other Top of the line detector.

When I had one on my Explorer XS
I had to turn my Sensitivity down to use it properly.
then turn my sense up
to detect Then turn it down again to Pinpoint
etc.

I Have heard the same from
DFX users.

Of course this is my opinion
from Expierence.
as My explorer probe
would detect all the way up the Wire
with the Sense turned up.

Not sure if they Corrected this Problem.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I Can't live without the Probe on my Sovereign,

However I Do not personally think it
is that great on the Explorer.
or any other Top of the line detector.

When I had one on my Explorer XS
I had to turn my Sensitivity down to use it properly.
then turn my sense up
to detect Then turn it down again to Pinpoint
etc.

I Have heard the same from
DFX users.

Of course this is my opinion
from Expierence.
as My explorer probe
would detect all the way up the Wire
with the Sense turned up.
Hmmm. I haven't encountered this problem. Interesting.
The reason I switched from the detector-pro to the Sun-ray was because of the interference I was encountering from the Pistol probe to my Explorer.
I still use the Pistol-probe with other detectors but, the Sun-Ray has been sweet for my explorer.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps they have fixed it then.

Or perhaps I Am the only one who
insisted on Full Sensitivity for hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
perhaps they have fixed it then.

Or perhaps I Am the only one who
insisted on Full Sensitivity for hunting

There's something more to this than meets the eye because I have owned about 4 Explorer XS, and 2 of the Explorer IIs, 4 or 5 Sunray probes, and the only time I've had that issue is with my current Explorer II and Sunray. I'm pretty much split 50/50 whether it's the detector, or the probe.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I think I was steered the right way to. Im pretty dang happy with my setup, so thats what matters. I'll learn what I need to when I get out there and actually have some experience. It was great doing business with you to Mike, no doubt about it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bobby S said:
Yea, I think I was steered the right way to. Im pretty dang happy with my setup, so thats what matters. I'll learn what I need to when I get out there and actually have some experience. It was great doing business with you to Mike, no doubt about it.
I appreciate that Bobby.
You kept your end of the bargain too buddy.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:

All that matters is that you are happy, I love mine, and know you will yours too. Hope you can get out soon. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Bobby S said:

All that matters is that you are happy, I love mine, and know you will yours too. Hope you can get out soon. :thumbsup:

So it's you who's singing that damn Barney song while detecting. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread