Sunray probe for explorer II?? I need convincing

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I have the Exp.II and never used a probe of any sort. When I first started it would have been handy, but now that I know my machine I don't see a need for it. Expensive and adds weight. I have reached the point where I can pin point with my coil just fine. If someone was to give me one I would use it, but I am not going to buy one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostlake88 said:
I have the Exp.II and never used a probe of any sort. When I first started it would have been handy, but now that I know my machine I don't see a need for it. Expensive and adds weight. I have reached the point where I can pin point with my coil just fine. If someone was to give me one I would use it, but I am not going to buy one.

So what type of sites do you detect?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I bought one anyways, and a nice pair of Grey Ghost NDT's....I think the probe will come extremely handy....with my old detector, i would of loved to use a probe because of how constant i had to get back up to check the hole again. Plus, i can dig one plug and check the hole without having to make a mess. Idk how a probe can add so much weight, but it wont bother me, cuz im 20 years old and if i had a problem with weight..im might wanna go to a gym rather than metal detect.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Well, I bought one anyways, and a nice pair of Grey Ghost NDT's....I think the probe will come extremely handy....with my old detector, i would of loved to use a probe because of how constant i had to get back up to check the hole again. Plus, i can dig one plug and check the hole without having to make a mess. Idk how a probe can add so much weight, but it wont bother me, cuz im 20 years old and if i had a problem with weight..im might wanna go to a gym rather than metal detect.

Jeeze.. You now have exactly what I do. I can't see how you wouldn't be happy once you put some time in.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, well its always good to listen to the more experienced detectorists. From what ive seen that you found, i got a lot ahead of me...time and patience of course, but i have plenty of time

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Lol, well its always good to listen to the more experienced detectorists. From what ive seen that you found, i got a lot ahead of me...time and patience of course, but i have plenty of time

Yes, you now have the tools but the good finds don't come without the sites! There's plenty more work to do! :wink:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
already on top of that man...ive looked at maps, bought a book with old pictures of places in my county..like school houses and stuff...and i still have to get a book that someones givin to me that they got when a library was throwin books away that has a lot fo info about my area...with winter still here, im definately gonna map out places

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
already on top of that man...ive looked at maps, bought a book with old pictures of places in my county..like school houses and stuff...and i still have to get a book that someones givin to me that they got when a library was throwin books away that has a lot fo info about my area...with winter still here, im definately gonna map out places

Good luck and remember, the older the site generally means the better it will be. All we do is hunt the oldest places we can find and good things happen.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Iron Patch said:
lostlake88 said:

Parks and woods. I use the small coil for the trashy stuff.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostlake88 said:
Iron Patch said:
lostlake88 said:

So in those areas you never cut a plug and the target is in the side of the hole?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Iron Patch said:
lostlake88 said:
Iron Patch said:
lostlake88 said:

So in those areas you never cut a plug and the target is in the side of the hole?
It has happened, yes, but very very seldom. I will admit I have scratched a few coins though, nothing valuable. . But that is a rarity also.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'm a little late, but here is my take of the probes. I have both the Garrett Pro and SunRay probes, but I prefer the Garrett over the SunRay. I don't pay any attention to the numbers on the screen, so the Garrett is better for me. I think it goes deeper than the SunRay. Also, the Garrett is so much lighter than the SunRay. The detector is already heavy and to add just a little more weight, it does matter. If you hunt all day long and you are in your 60's, trust me, the weight is a factor.

Of course if I was 20 yrs. young, I could carry what ever I wanted. I hope in another 40 some years you are able to carry everything you do now, but heck in another 40yrs, the detectors will probably be on your Ipod. LOL

As for a headset, I think the SunRay headset it a Great headset. I use mine with all my metal detectors. By the way, I use the SunRay probe on some of my other detectors, the Whites XLT, F-75 and for my ACE 250. I just think for the Explorer II, the Garrett is better. Of course this is just my opinion and to each his own.

Best of Luck in whatever you choose!!

HH, Ringfinder

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
I know I'm a little late, but here is my take of the probes. I have both the Garrett Pro and SunRay probes, but I prefer the Garrett over the SunRay. I don't pay any attention to the numbers on the screen, so the Garrett is better for me. I think it goes deeper than the SunRay. Also, the Garrett is so much lighter than the SunRay. The detector is already heavy and to add just a little more weight, it does matter. If you hunt all day long and you are in your 60's, trust me, the weight is a factor.

Of course if I was 20 yrs. young, I could carry what ever I wanted. I hope in another 40 some years you are able to carry everything you do now, but heck in another 40yrs, the detectors will probably be on your Ipod. LOL

As for a headset, I think the SunRay headset it a Great headset. I use mine with all my metal detectors. By the way, I use the SunRay probe on some of my other detectors, the Whites XLT, F-75 and for my ACE 250. I just think for the Explorer II, the Garrett is better. Of course this is just my opinion and to each his own.

HH, Ringfinder

I can understand the weight factor, and if you prefer an allmetal probe with a bit more range I hear ya on that too, but what do numbers on a screen have to do with it?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

I can understand the weight factor, and if you prefer an allmetal probe with a bit more range I hear ya on that too, but what do numbers on a screen have to do with it?

What I was referring to, a lot of guys use the SunRay probe in connection with the explorer, they probe and look at the screen to see what numbers come up. The same is true with other detectors that the SunRay probe is used on, like F-75, Whites XLT and so on. I just listen for the signal from the pointer and dig the target. Of course using the Garrett Pro pinpointer, you just pinpoint the target and dig.

I started using the Garrett pinpointer with my X-terra 70 and now use it with my Infinium, both of them do not have SunRay probes that will work with them.

I have to say, I have never liked the SunRay probe with my Explorer II, but then I have a older model, the white one. Maybe the newer ones are more sensitive. Now with my F-75, Whites XLT, and my ACE 250, I wouldn't leave home without my SunRay probes for those detectors.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the Sunray probe when i had my F75. But after using the Garrett PP with my E-Track i felt the cons of the Sunray. The weight does make a difference when detecting all day. The hanging cord to the probe always gets hung up in the brush when in the woods. Having the extra step of flipping the switch on and off. As dumb as that sounds there isn't one SR user who hasn't recovered and went back to detecting. Only to find out you didn't switch over lol. I prefer the progressive vibration/sound over the wiggle and search. I'm able to recover targets much faster with the Garrett. But that's just me. I'm not knocking SR one but. They have outstanding products and stand behind what they produce.

EZ

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I already got the Sunray..its attached to my Explorer II right now. I've already stated weight isnt an issue, and I dont think i'll be going into the woods as much...theres a few places I have in mind that might involve the woods, but I just gotta be careful. I like the idea of the Sunray probe, just because i didnt want to have to keep standing up tp check my hole after i dig the plug. Im sure the garrett does the same thing, but my probe is black with a red tip. Compared to what I've seen they use to be white..maybe theres a difference now...I appreciate the inquiry, but my setup is already in place

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Iron Patch said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

What I was referring to, a lot of guys use the SunRay probe in connection with the explorer, they probe and look at the screen to see what numbers come up. The same is true with other detectors that the SunRay probe is used on, like F-75, Whites XLT and so on. I just listen for the signal from the pointer and dig the target. Of course using the Garrett Pro pinpointer, you just pinpoint the target and dig.

I started using the Garrett pinpointer with my X-terra 70 and now use it with my Infinium, both of them do not have SunRay probes that will work with them.

I have to say, I have never liked the SunRay probe with my Explorer II, but then I have a older model, the white one. Maybe the newer ones are more sensitive. Now with my F-75, Whites XLT, and my ACE 250, I wouldn't leave home without my SunRay probes for those detectors.

I have been using a Sunray a long time and have never heard of someone looking at the ID screen while probing the hole. That to me makes absolutely no sense, but to each their own!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZrider said:
I liked the Sunray probe when i had my F75. But after using the Garrett PP with my E-Track i felt the cons of the Sunray. The weight does make a difference when detecting all day. The hanging cord to the probe always gets hung up in the brush when in the woods. Having the extra step of flipping the switch on and off. As dumb as that sounds there isn't one SR user who hasn't recovered and went back to detecting. Only to find out you didn't switch over lol. I prefer the progressive vibration/sound over the wiggle and search. I'm able to recover targets much faster with the Garrett. But that's just me. I'm not knocking SR one but. They have outstanding products and stand behind what they produce.

EZ

I agree you can feel a weight difference but I would think it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a solution for the cord. If the probe was mounted by the armrest that would probably take up the slack enough to fix the problem.

As for leaving it on, if you use low disc. like I do, and know the detector well, you should pick off the problem right away, Anytime I forget to switch it it's only 3 or 4 seconds to know something isn't right.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Well, I already got the Sunray..its attached to my Explorer II right now. I've already stated weight isnt an issue, and I dont think i'll be going into the woods as much...theres a few places I have in mind that might involve the woods, but I just gotta be careful. I like the idea of the Sunray probe, just because i didnt want to have to keep standing up tp check my hole after i dig the plug. Im sure the garrett does the same thing, but my probe is black with a red tip. Compared to what I've seen they use to be white..maybe theres a difference now...I appreciate the inquiry, but my setup is already in place

It's always good to take the other upper shaft with you.

- The weight can get you a little at first until your used to it so nice to switch if your doing more looking than finding. I say that being 6' 250lbs and my main gig before detecting was being a weights junky. I can feel it the first few hunts but I soon get used to it and can hunt all day without any problem.

- It's also a back up in case your probe has a problem.

- and If it rains I usually just forget about using the probe for the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread