Super 12 or DD coil best for beach?

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
I'm having trouble finding things at my town beach. (saltwater) "Too much sand" I am told. It's true, there are tons of sand there, over four miles of the white stuff. I mostly look for jewelry using the stock coil on the M6. I think I need a better coil for the beach.
I was under the impression that a DD coil is the best for the beach, because of its mineralization canceling properties. I was thinking of getting an EXcellerator 14" DD.
But BEACH-HUNTER says, "targets can be buried very deep at the beach." (!) So he using the new Super 12 coil, with great results so far.
The Super 12, or a DD coil, which would you recommend for the beach? Thank you, HH

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Used Super 12 in florida for 2 weeks not long ago on DFX. Absolutely loved it. Covered alot of ground and dug alot of old clad that was pretty much useless. Watched other detectorists on same beach and they were not digging much. It is also lighter that the 1400. I actually traded my 1400 for the spider.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both coils. While the DD coil is best in high mineralization soil any beaches I've hunted were very low mineralization. The DD coil is pretty heavy and the Super 12 is only 3 oz heavier than the stock coil. I'd suggest the Super 12.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm using the Super 12

It's very deep and stable on the beach!! light and easy to swing!!

Attachments

• HPIM0084 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0084 (Large).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 773
  • HPIM0084 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0084 (Large).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 749
OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
gametalman52 said:
Used Super 12 in florida for 2 weeks not long ago on DFX. Absolutely loved it. Covered alot of ground and dug alot of old clad that was pretty much useless. Watched other detectorists on same beach and they were not digging much. It is also lighter that the 1400. I actually traded my 1400 for the spider.
Hi Georgia Metalman. Lucky You! Florida beaches! :icon_sunny:
Really! Who would of thunk it? The super 12 over the 14". Thank you very much. This is very good information. HH

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Schrecky said:
I have both coils. While the DD coil is best in high mineralization soil any beaches I've hunted were very low mineralization. The DD coil is pretty heavy and the Super 12 is only 3 oz heavier than the stock coil. I'd suggest the Super 12.
This is great info, Shrecky. I would of never guessed it except I ran across that post by BEACH-HUNTER. Very interesting.....Well, it's 2 to nothing, in favor of the Super 12 at the beach so far....HH

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Re: I'm using the Super 12

BEACH-HUNTER said:
It's very deep and stable on the beach!! light and easy to swing!!
Hi there, BEACH-HUNTER. I'm glad I found your informative post about you having great results at the beach with the super 12. Thank you. Looks like others agree with you. Great photo! HH

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
SUPER 12 FINDS FROM TODAY

SHE WAS HOT TODAY!! SILVER AND SOME 1800'S COPPER'S!! HITTING BEACH IN AM...DID SOME DIRT TODAY..

Attachments

• HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 745
  • HPIM0115 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0115 (Medium).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 715
  • HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 722
  • HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0115 (Large).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 733
  • HPIM0112 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0112 (Large).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 723
  • HPIM0114 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0114 (Large).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 714
  • HPIM0111 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0111 (Large).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 739

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
How deep was the large cent and the 2 cent peice
what can i expect for depth in dirt with a super 12
I have a DFX but i need somthing that can hunt coins deeper than 6 Inches
scott

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I was hunting in very dark,kinda wet soil...little frost left in the ground..the 2c and 1c were at the 8" to 10" range... I got the MERC at about a foot...It was in sandy soil...alittle wet too.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
BEACH-HUNTER said:
I was hunting in very dark,kinda wet soil...little frost left in the ground..the 2c and 1c were at the 8" to 10" range... I got the MERC at about a foot...It was in sandy soil...alittle wet too.
Congratulations, BEACH-HUNTER!! You're off to a great start this year! Are you using your White's Beach Hunter at dirt locations? Interesting. Must be quite the machine. You dig everything, don't you? :wink: HH

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Massbaycolonist said:
BEACH-HUNTER said:
Congratulations, BEACH-HUNTER!! You're off to a great start this year! Are you using your White's Beach Hunter at dirt locations? Interesting. Must be quite the machine. You dig everything, don't you? :wink: HH
I just dig non Iron targets...I use the visual ID do not dig any red lights or mixed lights with red in the mix...Beach hunter ID is a water proof DFX..Just as at home in the dirt as the water :thumbsup:

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
I KNEW IT !!!!!!!!!!!
I NEW THERE ARE COINS HIDING DEEPER THAN MY DETECTOR IS TELLING ME

I AM GETTING A SUPER 12 IMEDIATLY!

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I just listed in the "For Sale" thread a DD 1400 coil I am selling.
Love the coil, but moving to offshore equipment for this years projects.
The coil has been VERY good to me, as you can see from the post there.
xXx

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
The Super 12 is a really GREAT coil! :thumbsup: I had it installed on my BHID and couldn't be happier!

Still hot on the small stuff, great pinpointing, fast recovery and DEEP!

White's made a really smart move with this coil!!! :thumbsup:

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Super 12 without a doubt. First time with the Super 12 on the DFX got this..

Attachments

• ringdaddy.jpg
    ringdaddy.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 673

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Massbay...keep at it. You will get the gold. I just think the Super 12 is more sensitive to smaller objects than the DD.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
therover said:
Massbay...keep at it. You will get the gold. I just think the Super 12 is more sensitive to smaller objects than the DD.
Thanks, Rover. I'll keep that in mind. I haven't made a decision yet, but the recommendations are way in favor of the Super 12. Again, NICE find!! HH

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ok I run a DFX and just bought a used Beach Hunter Id, (new Jan 08) should have it next week in hand and in the surf. I have every coil almost for my dfx from the 5.3, 950, DD1400 and the super 12. If I understand you all right I can put these coils on the Beach Hunter? It doesn't have a hard wired coil on it. what do you run your knobs at if I may ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread