Greenie
May 20, 2016
Georgetown, TX
Detector(s) used
Winbest Sharp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garry,

Believe I looked into the history of Fort Hondo a number of years ago. Probably shared it with you, but don't recall much information being available.

Take care,

Joe

Here are only two references I could find. Both were military stations, not actual Forts

Military Station at Castroville*(Landmark Inn State Historic Site)(1849), CastrovilleA Federal post. Of interest here is the Landmark Inn at 402 East Florence Street, which was built in 1849. (US station)

Hondo Creek Station*(1840), near Biry. A Texas Army outpost located at the Hondo Creek crossing of the old road to the Presidio del Rio Grande (Guerrero, Coahuila State). (Texas)

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Available references for Fort Hondo are pretty thin.

There was a Fort Lincoln in the time period near D'Hanis. Fort Lincoln est. 1849, named for Capt. George Lincoln, was one of the string of 8 such forts from the Rio Grande to Red River. Seems unlikely there would have been another true "fort" this close.

TallTx

Greenie
May 20, 2016
Georgetown, TX
Detector(s) used
Winbest Sharp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Link to Texas stage trails.
https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map1591.jpg

While Castroville was a main intersection west of San Antonio, and numerous citings of this being main way point for San Antonio-El Paso trail, I have found zero references to there being a fort in the area.
Daughters of Republic Of Texas (Historical Society) in Austin could provide help in research.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
cactusjumper,
Thank you for the kind offer.
A digital copy arrived in my inbox this morning.

I thought that you might appreciate reading the names in this article. Life is full of coincidences.

Hal,

Glad you got what you were looking for. Which article were you interested in?

It's really no coincidence......those damn Italians are everywhere.:laughing7:

Take care,

Joe

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Salizar had formerly lived in Florence, Ariz. There in 1924, ...

Here he was introduced to a Spaniard of aristocratic bearing, who had recently arrived from Santander, Spain, via Vera Cruz and Mexico City.

His name was Christobal Peralta. He had been born and raised in Mexico, and was, at the time, 72 years of age."

The Salizar Survey
Clay Worst - 25 February, 1984

For the benefit of those who may want to look it up, it's "The Salazar Survey".

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Great Grandpa knew both Walz & Peralta during his time scouting for the cavalry. The "Santa _____ River" where Miguel Peralta grazed his cattle is the Santa Maria River NW of Wickenburg, it starts near one of my relatives ranch & runs into Alamo Lake. The store he owned is still there but no longer a mercantile. The Valencia Mine is off the Bumble Bee road between the I-17 exit & the "town" of Bumble Bee, it was sold, renamed the Gloriana & worked out, he had a small store there briefly. At one time it was bought by James Reavis (remember the big Reavis land scam?) so he'd have documents w/ the Peralta name to screw up & claim a phony Spanish land grant (there was a small Peralta land grant elsewhere but that was lost after the Reavis scam). Jacob Walz (German spelling, but pronounced Waltz leading to a lot of confusion) owned a mine nearby (the Big Reb) that was sold & re-named & worked out Walz cached some gold from his mine nearby but it's been removed. Many folks confuse Miguel Peralta w/ his ancestor of the same name, the younger one was Walz's friend. If anyone wants directions to either mine send me a PM - it's not the LDM. By the same token if enough folks here want information on Great Grandpa & his AZ years scouting, smuggling, mining, & his treasure/guns cache, meeting Geronimo (they hated each other), etc. (some verified in newspaper accounts) send me a PM & I'll start a thread.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
"The Peralta family was part of the group of settlers that arrived in Alta California in 1776 on the famous de Anza expedition. Seventeen-year-old Luis Maria Peralta accompanied his father, mother and three siblings. This group of settlers subsequently helped found the San Francisco Presidio, Mission Santa Clara, and the pueblo of San Jose.

In 1820, Rancho San Antonio was given to Luís Peralta with the requirement that he establish a permanent dwelling on the property within one year."

Read more about Rancho San Antonio here: (Berkeley, Piedmont, Claremont, Emeryville, Lake Merritt, West Oakland, Alameda) Map of the Ranchos of Vicente & Domingo <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Peralta</b> Containing 16970.68 Acres Surveyed by Julius Kellersberger . . . Surv

Interesting. I didn't know about the Vicente Peralta grant in California. There was also a small Peralta Grant in SE Arizona.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting Hal,

Question, how are you overcoming the Latin American custom of using the material surname as the last surname?

This has always been my stumbling block in tracing the various Peralta connected men.

Not saying your work is wrong........on the contrary, it looks very right. My dilemma has been the short cuts of the American style of indexing (last, first) with the result being the loss of the first (paternal) surname.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hal

Also , Cristobal could been Rafael's son .
The article is for free on the web at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...n/ruth/clark/Salazar Survey by Clay Worst.pdf

Also , this article shows how the gold bars which are allegedly in the Superstitions , are not related to the Peraltas , because why they would need to mine a winter season when they could bring some bars and go ?

This might also be of interest.
North Star data. Understanding Astronomy: Motion of the Stars
Also this might be of interest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_star

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you read the story.

Amazing to read that Bartlett and Rice both understood the mistakes these treasure hunters were making and, that their warnings were ignored. The map that is is said to relate to this story is almost impossible to make any sense of because so many of the descriptions and objects are misplaced. Spend enough time with it and it becomes clear that, while it is a "map", it is also a set of instructions that tell you how to use it. Once you know how to use it, you follow the instructions to a place where you can see your destination(s). Meaning, you can see where it is that you want to get to.

In my mind, establishing a base camp would be a priority for any expedition into the Superstitions. That means water, food, grass, accessibility to whatever it is they were mining, and somehow, some level of safety. How safety was possible in 53' with the Apache hatred for Mexicans is anyone's guess.

Hal,

Marsh Valley meets all of those criteria plus it had Black Mountain as a backdrop, so your back was covered and all you really had to keep an eye on was either direction of Labarge Canyon. Red hills are in front of you and you have a year- round deep spring at Charlebois, right around the corner. This place was quite adequate for supporting 100 or more.

Also, just off the Terrapin trail, before the pass and just north of Weaver's needle, there's the remnant of a huge curved stone wall that apparently acted as a water catch basin. I have pictures of it somewhere and I'll see if I can dig it up. Due to its location, I doubt it is of Indian origin, or that it had any cattle-related purpose.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you read the story.

Amazing to read that Bartlett and Rice both understood the mistakes these treasure hunters were making and, that their warnings were ignored. The map that is is said to relate to this story is almost impossible to make any sense of because so many of the descriptions and objects are misplaced. Spend enough time with it and it becomes clear that, while it is a "map", it is also a set of instructions that tell you how to use it. Once you know how to use it, you follow the instructions to a place where you can see your destination(s). Meaning, you can see where it is that you want to get to.

In my mind, establishing a base camp would be a priority for any expedition into the Superstitions. That means water, food, grass, accessibility to whatever it is they were mining, and somehow, some level of safety. How safety was possible in 53' with the Apache hatred for Mexicans is anyone's guess.

Unfortunately, the only information that Salazar recalled from the alleged Peralta family map establishes the north meridian from Weaver's Needle. Since the date of the survey was emphasized, the most logical reason might be that an observation of a star alignment from Weaver's Needle relative to the baseline could point to a spot on the horizon. For example, at a specific time on that date, a line drawn between two stars, say Dubhe and Merak, would extend to a specific point on the horizon, as viewed from Weavers Needle. Then a searcher need only travel in that direction to look for additional information. Trouble is, the star line and time of observation are unknown - or were to Salazar. Salazar "realized, regretfully, that the Spanish map contained much other data which he had not enough time to memorize." If any of this story is true, it's no wonder later surveying work came to naught.

The photographic twist is interesting, but assumes cutting edge technology for the day being used by the Peraltas. These photographs would have predated all but a handful of photographs known to have been taken prior to 1860 in Arizona (studio portraits) - http://www.ahfweb.org/download/SubjectPhoto_FPC_100.pdf . It's a good idea and technically possible, but faces long odds.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I would imagine that there are several safe locations.
Still, we would have to explain how or, why the Apache left them alone (overwhelming firepower, remaining undetected or, some type of arrangement based on trade?) because, a Peralta "massacre", at least on that last expedition into the Superstitions (winter 1853-54) does not appear to have happened.

Hal,

It may have not happened on paper, but there seems to be plenty of proof that something did happen out there. I have seen plenty of things in the Superstitions that should not have happened according to White Man's history.

Most likely that the Apache knew from the start and resented it, but did not or could not do anything due to being outnumbered. They had no need to travel in such large numbers, after all. My guess is that the massacre was the result of some sort of "perfect storm" where there were a sufficient number of Apache gathered in the area as well as reinforcements close enough to muster in a matter of hours, or other tribes willing to form a temporary pact.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy the history you are turning up with your research.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
hal....for a region that is all volcanic and supposed to be void of any minerals there sure is alot of mines in the superstitions...and i dont mean just test holes...most were pretty extensive operations....something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread