Surfmaster PI advice plz

piratejoe

Jul 21, 2011
Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum w/950, Surfmaster PI
Hey guys,
Just received a hardly used Surfmaster PI Plus.
I am new to PI machines, but decided it was the only way to go down here in the FL Keys.
Need some "right to the point" advice on tones.
Iron vs. everything else.
My XLT is so different from this new one. My little head might explode if I cant nail it down.
Been praticing with test targets.
But, as you know. The old stuff is different than new test targets.
Thx for any input.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the White's pulses is not rocket science. The best way to use this thing is to set it at the presets and just use it and dig all the sounds till you learn it. They are not built the same because of variances in parts so what mine does and yours could be different.

Pay close attention to treatment of the O ring as it is unforgiving and can leak if you look at it wrong. Keep it clean and well lubed with silicone grease.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are using it on the beach or wadeing, only have the pulse delay(the left knob) all the way to the left, full counter clockwise, dont turn it way up, you will lose gold jewelry. If you are using it in waves, and it falses when a wave goes over, you may need to turn that up some to lose that or get used to it doing that. When you dive with it, it will scream until you hit bottom, if you turn it on at the top. That is it trying to ground balance and it cant. It is picking up the conductivity of the salt water. Once on the bottom it is fine. As for the thresh hold(the right knob) just have it where you can just hear a slight buzz. You want that as deep or tiny things will just have a slight change in thresh hold. You would miss it if you couldnt hear the thresh hold. Keep the coil just off the ground, and swing it level, dont go in a wide U shape swing. Go slow and overlap your sweeps. They are good machines, so take good care of it, and it will take care of you! And dig it all. There is no real discrimination. Even if there was, you still wouldnt know if it was deep or shallow. Just dig it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread