Surprising Find on the Grounds of the Old Asylum

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Near me is an old, nineteenth century mental hospital. It's extensive, and the grounds have been hunted heavily long before I purchased my first detector back around 2000. I go there occasionally, hoping to find a coin or two that was overlooked. Usually, I come back empty-handed. Yesterday, however, I discovered a small patch that yielded a '24D dime and a several wheat cents. I returned there today, and hunted on the edge of a wooded stretch where some ancient trees stand, trees that were obviously planted a long time ago, such as English beech. In the soft earth under the antediluvian beech, I dug a disc that was only about 4" down. It was obviously copper, but thinner than the one large cent in my possession, which was purchased, not found. I thought I discerned some markings, but I wasn't sure, as they were very faint and the disc was very dirty. I put it away until I got home, rinsed it off, and....holy toledo. It was a colonial copper, my first. I went to Border's and looked at the new Redbook to identify the coin. It's apparently a 1786 Connecticut cent, mailed bust facing left. I'm afraid to clean it further, as you can see by the rough shape it's in. What surprised me was the that I found the coin in an area which I did not think had had any older homesteads which existed before the hospital was built. I'm going back there as soon as possible; maybe there are more coins or old buttons.

Attachments

• HPIM5418 reduced.jpg
    HPIM5418 reduced.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • HPIM5419 reduced.jpg
    HPIM5419 reduced.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,083
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Many thanks to all for your encouraging words. I returned to the site today, but found naught. I showed my find to a local, knowledgeable coin dealer who agreed that it is in fact a Connecticut copper, but he thinks it's a 1788, not an '86. Whatever - it's in rough shape, and not worth a great deal, but I'm sure glad I found it. I hope we all find the coins that we dream about. Me, I'm waiting for my first Capped Bust silver coin - any denomination from half dime up would be just fine. In high grade, of course!

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Great snag! I found my first Conn. behind an elementary school built in 1956! You just never know where you'll find the goodies. Get back there and HH.
Mark G

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great colonial, goes to show you just never know where a sweet coin's gonna turn up...

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
i stand corrected how ever the bust and brittania on the reverse are copied from the george II copper says the not as knowledgable coin shooter

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!!!!!!!! I didn't even think you could find these things, they are so old. What shape do you expect something thats been in the ground for over 200 years. Thats Crazy, hehe let me refraise thats insane...hmm lets try again, thats cool.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread