Surprising Find on the Grounds of the Old Asylum

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Near me is an old, nineteenth century mental hospital. It's extensive, and the grounds have been hunted heavily long before I purchased my first detector back around 2000. I go there occasionally, hoping to find a coin or two that was overlooked. Usually, I come back empty-handed. Yesterday, however, I discovered a small patch that yielded a '24D dime and a several wheat cents. I returned there today, and hunted on the edge of a wooded stretch where some ancient trees stand, trees that were obviously planted a long time ago, such as English beech. In the soft earth under the antediluvian beech, I dug a disc that was only about 4" down. It was obviously copper, but thinner than the one large cent in my possession, which was purchased, not found. I thought I discerned some markings, but I wasn't sure, as they were very faint and the disc was very dirty. I put it away until I got home, rinsed it off, and....holy toledo. It was a colonial copper, my first. I went to Border's and looked at the new Redbook to identify the coin. It's apparently a 1786 Connecticut cent, mailed bust facing left. I'm afraid to clean it further, as you can see by the rough shape it's in. What surprised me was the that I found the coin in an area which I did not think had had any older homesteads which existed before the hospital was built. I'm going back there as soon as possible; maybe there are more coins or old buttons.

Attachments

• HPIM5418 reduced.jpg
    HPIM5418 reduced.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • HPIM5419 reduced.jpg
    HPIM5419 reduced.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,083
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Silver! Hope you find more on your return trip.

HH
;) RR

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
very exciting. :o

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Holy toledo alright. She's a beauty mate. I wouldn't clean her too much...
Congrats and good luck for next time.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet looking find, Silver. Hope your trip back produces more amazing finds.

HH

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Looks to me like you might be onto something quite promising, the whole area around there could hold much more in the way of "old" coins and other objects. Would you be able to post some pics of the area for us???...pp

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
great find silver it looks to me tho that it is a george II english half penny i found 1 recently and it the bust looks the same congrats and hh

dylan

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice!

Nearby there is an old asylum (everything from inebriate to TB to mental through the years) that was a city unto itself from the Civil War on. Construction started in 1858. Power plant, firestation, farms, etc. on 250 acres of a hilltop. It's state owned at the present and 95% of it is vacant. I would love to get permission to hunt there but it's a no no (national landmark). We're trying to get it "foundationalized" to save the older buildings (the oldest looks like a castle).

The designer was Isaac G. Perry

engrave1.jpg

bia1926.jpg

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
state hospital grounds are always good.. Here in CA I have hunted on 3. Always good finds.. Good luck finding more... great pics as well...

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFinder, this is SilverSeeker. That is some great detecting work. However, since the oldest coin that you have presumably found now is copper, not silver, I hereby proclaim you to be CopperFinder. Great work...

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
One way to increase your luck on well hunted grounds is to hit the out of the ordanary places and like you did, sometimes it pays off. Well done and congrats big time! Good luck on return!! She's a beautiful coin!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread