Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania Treasure........... and the Susquehanna River

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Re: Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania Treasure.

Afterthought - yes I wish I could locate that silver Indian bracelet found by my best friend so many years ago. I am sorry to say that he passed away some years ago as a result of cancer, and that I am not on good terms with his widow. (She refused to allow me to take his two sons hunting for the first time, as I felt that was one thing I could do for my friend since he could not) and quickly moved away after he passed on. I do know that he would have never sold the bracelet, and would have wanted it to go to his sons - but I fear that his widow may well have simply sold it to a pawn shop. She was not and is not a very nice person, in my opinion.

That bracelet had beautiful engraved designs on it, showing the Sun, Moon, stars, representations of mountains and of waters; an expert might be able to read it as a set of ideas which tell a story, but our local experts at the time could only say that it was very much pre-Columbian and of very good silver, over 90 percent pure. I wish I had taken at least a few photographs of it.

Oroblanco

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

This thread is of great intrest. I hope it keeps going. The mention of "Spanish Hill", which is near the Susquehanna river caught my attention. I live about 45 minutes from there. There is a lot of history concerning it. For those who are not familiar with it here is a great website that will give you a lot of information on it.
http://spanishhill.com/index.html.
Clayton

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Greetings Simonds and everyone,
What an interesting site you provided the link for! I had heard of the Spanish sword and the large cross being found, but NOT the other crosses or the Spanish medal!
http://www.spanishhill.com/Relics/CuriousRelics.pdf
I was a bit put off by the red-ink insistence posted on several pages warning treasure hunters to keep off as the land is private, but the author is apparently welcoming and inviting archaeologists to investigate. We need to have better relations with archaeologists as well as landowners, fellow THers, we are getting short shrift here perhaps due to the actions of a few "bad apples" but we DO have a great deal to contribute to history in our finds and investigations, and should be working together instead of in opposition. After all, pretty much EVERY THer is an amateur historian and archaeologist at heart, one that actually works in the field.

Even though we THers are apparently barred from entering Spanish Hill itself, there is no reason to believe that great finds are NOT waiting to be found in the surrounding region especially along the river and adjacent fields, particularly downstream.

The Susquehanna holds at least two cannons (French) and probably holds four more (Susquehannock, two of which were originally English that they captured) as well as one American from the Revolution, taken from Wyoming valley by the British-Indian force after their raid there and not reported in their possession when they reached Apple Tree Town (Great Bend). There is an old tale that a Spanish ship actually sailed right up the river in the late 1500s and dropped anchor by a high hill, which some propose is none other than Spanish hill but several other hills are candidates; the crew then off-loaded several chests which were carried by men up onto the hill and buried. What was in the chests is unknown, but the old tale goes that the Spanish (who may well have NOT been Spanish at all but English, French or Dutch pirates) were attacked while at anchor by Indians and sailed off downriver, firing cannons in a hasty retreat. With the Spanish artifacts turning up at Spanish hill, it seems logical that this is the spot - in which case there could be a very nice treasure to be found there! However with only archaeologists being allowed to look there, it is highly unlikely that the treasure will ever benefit anyone; (You would be amazed at how much found treasure ends up locked away in the basements of museums, never to be seen by the public) then again what if the hill where the chests were buried is not the same hill as Spanish hill?

There are numerous treasures to be found in that whole area, all it takes is hard work, research and just a bit of good luck. I found evidence of Dutch military forces being engaged in a battle which is not in any of the history books along a stream that joins the Susquehanna near Tunkhannock, including one half of a bar-shot (the type with two cannon balls connected by a bar) which proved to be Dutch and dating to the mid 1600s as well as a number of huge musket balls. I did learn that the Dutch laid claim to the region and did involve their military forces assisting one Indian tribe against another during the so-called "Beaver wars" and this is most likely how the Dutch cannonball came to be there, so not to repeat this too many times but you just never know what you will find there. I could add that I found a British buckle from the 96th regt of foot on an old Indian trail that led to the same river too, and a friend found a button from Butler's Rangers a few miles from there along another stream that joins the Susquehanna. Members of the GPAA have reported finding gold nuggets in the Susquehanna river the size of dimes too, which are almost certainly glacial in origin but who cares how they got there when you find them! Good luck and good hunting Simons, Jeff and others who will hunt that region!
your friend,
Roy - Oroblanco

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Hello again all-

Sometimes I say to myself "just leave it go" but almost never do. :) About the pyramids: you give a lot of good examples of idea exchange through trade. Egypt seeing the mud brick pryamids of the Sumerian's... I buy that. Only logical. The Romans seeing the great pyramids- for sure. So on and so forth... okay. The problem I have is that all of your examples in the old world involve cultures who were previously unexposed to pyramid building going somewhere, seeing them, and taking the tale/idea back to their native land. This leads me to believe that it would have been necessarily the case that a Mayan or other native at some point traveled somewhere to see pyramids. Now I know you're going to say No, the idea was transferred not the native. Two things about that: if this Carthaginian contact was accidental/sporadic at best how many cultural traits are going to be transferred? If you have a Carthaginian trade vessel that accidentally blows across the ocean (which by the way is one of the ideas that I find most plausible vs. intentional exploration) and they come on shore to re-supply and end up doing a little trading with the natives then is pyramid building going to be transferred also? Take any culture steeped in their religious beliefs for hundreds or even thousands of years and let them have contact with a new culture, however brief it may be and I think you will see both of the cultures walking away with something new but more likely than not it won't be a whole new belief system. Although then I think of the cocoa and tobacco in the Egyption mummies and have to wonder if the contact was more than sporadic...I guess that when I'm standing in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, deep in the woods looking at a burial mound/effigy mound that is four feet tall and circular in shape it just makes the ancients and the birth of western civilization seem quite distant indeed.
I really don't believe that the Americas were isolated from the time of the last glaciation until the time of known contact- in fact it's impossible. How many ideas or technologies were transferred from the old world to the new is a gigantic question mark. I don't find your pyramid arguments convincing enough- I still think that independent invention is most likely. Look at the degree of craftsmanship found in the Andes, I mean in terms of the stone work. It was cut and fit so precisely that to this day you can't fit a piece of paper in between most stones! That type of skill in stone working doesn't imply that an idea was transferred and then the local population ran with it, rather it gives proof of a highly specialized cast system and complex social order with a slower "more conventional" escalation of technologies. I would think that if there had been sustained contact and trading we would have found inventions like the wheel being more readily transferred vs. pyramid building. For that highly developed craftsmanship (like mentioned in the Andes stone working above) it would have required, assuming the native culture/population hadn't been previously familiar with the idea, a team of skilled Carthaginian or Roman or who ever to come and show them how...I don't see the ancients of western civilization having "lets go out and teach and/or give a helping hand to the savages" high on their to do list. Then again one could argue that they already had the highly developed stone working skills as a result of the more traditional evolution and that they just hadn't thought of building pyramids.. Okay, I'm starting to talk in circles here. Sorry.
I would like to hear more on what you think about the timing of the invention of the bow and arrow in the Americas and the time of this possible Carthaginian contact. Same for the mass burials in the mounds.. I think it would be interesting (I would do it now but don't have the time) to do some quick research on what kind of carbon dates were found in the mass burials- compare it to what was happening in south and central America around the same time period- were the vast city states already at their peak or had they just began at that point. Maybe they didn't exist yet.
Wouldn't it be interesting as all h@ll if: 1)The "invention" of the bow and arrow. 2)The mass die-offs of the mound builders. 3)The dates of some of the ancient coin finds. 4)The development of pyramid building. 5)The Egyption mummies with the traces of cocoa/tobacco. all dated from the same time period???????? Wow.... wow.....hey if you look into that and they do all line up from the same time period I want an autographed copy of your book man. ;D
Okay- I think I've met my quota of run-on sentences and mindless chatter for one night- again no offense in any of the above only humble opinions. (I found out early on here that some people really don't like it if you don't agree 100% or at least 99% with them) Glad I can converse with you and not worry about that. Very interesting.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Greetings Cannonman,
Interesting post! I see your point, and only wish to point out that I am not claiming that Carthaginians, Phoenicians, Romans or Egyptians came and taught Mayans how to build pyramids, only that they may have transmitted reports of the massive grandeur of the man-made mountains; if Plutarch is correct then some of the Amerindians DID visit the Old World, (this is repeated by Aelian and Diodorus as well) and could have brought the description and idea home themselves. After all, in all of the cases cited, each people built their own pyramid using their own technology and their own methods as well as their own choices for materials. We do not see pyramids even in Nubia that are built the same way as the Egyptian models, even though there is no question that they could have had Egyptian engineers if they desired them.

A valid point about how much more technology and cultural items should be present as proof of contact, if it were taking place on a grand scale - however Punic traders often had quite limited contact with their overseas customers as I mentioned earlier (as found in Herodotus) - they may have introduced the alphabet, for instance to places in India or Ethiopia, but even though we know for a fact that they were trading on a fairly large scale with African peoples along the Atlantic coast, they did not transmit to them the use of coins, the alphabet, or even the simple wheel! They DO appear to have been the agents of transmitting the knowledge of how to make iron, to the otherwise mysterious Nok culture of the same region - these Nok people went from stone tools straight to iron with no intervening development of metalworking in any other kind of metal. If the contact were on a large scale, there should be much more evidence to the point that it would be incontrovertible - however the contact could not have been on a large scale.

Then too, what is large scale? The fleet of ships built by Solomon with the assistance of his Phoenician ally Hiram is described as a "navy" of ships in the Old Testament. Naturally many theorists then conclude this must refer to a mass fleet of many ships. However evidence exists to show that this "navy" of ships was less than TEN. Even so, ten ships can carry a tremendous cargo of silver and gold; this would have been a tremendous boost to the local economy. For a comparison, the great expeditions of the Egyptians to the "mythical" land of Punt, like the one recorded by queen Hatshepsut in such a grand fashion in raised relief sculptures, as if it were a trip to the Moon, involved only six relatively small ships, oared by no more than thirty men, without even a deck; being open to the elements except for a small shelter near the stern. So if Carthage sent out three or five ships to visit America even once in every three or four years, if the ships were successful in obtaining gold, fish, timber etc even such a relatively modest commercial endeavour would mean a tremendous boost to the local economy. Such a small scale is almost certainly as far as the trade went, though the attempted colony might have been a good sized fleet - recall the expedition of Hanno to found colonies in west Africa only required fifty warships and an unknown number of merchant vessels to transport some 30,000 colonists, enough to found six cities - so a single colony would logically be only one sixth of this.

The Carthaginians like their Phoenician forebears did transmit products and ideas of civilization, but in a very haphazard way, not granting such ideas as the alphabet in some cases, granting it in others - we can only guess as to the reasons why they operated in this way but one possible reason was not to give any more technology or knowledge than was necessary to conduct their business. They were certainly secretive about their sea trade routes, as there are records of their having on at least two occasions running a ship aground rather than allow it to be followed to their secret source of tin - the Tin Isles as they called them, Britain and this place really not a terribly long distance to get to. The government of Carthage not only recompensed the owner and captain of the ship for the loss, they commended them as heroes for protecting a national trade secret.

I will research the questions of the introduction of the bow and arrow, the times of the mass graves of the Mound builders, and compare them to the dates of the ancient coins found as well as the dates of the Egyptian mummies with evidence of tobacco and coca use - I had not thought of these possible "coincidences" before you mentioned it, this may prove to be very strong evidence indeed!

Thank you for the kind words again, I hope I can make your day sometime soon in a similar manner - I can say that I very much enjoy your discussions on many subjects. (Been reading some of your past posts - very interesting stuff!)
Roy - Oroblanco

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man my eyes are bleeding these are some SHARP posts!!!!

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Hello-

I see what you're trying to say... maybe hit and miss with the technologies that were transfered. Possible... It does seem to me though that in some cases you make good points that would lead me to believe that there was sustained or at least repeated contact giving credence to the idea that goods/ideas/technologies could have been exchanged. Then in other posts you almost seem to argue only accidental discovery of the new world (even if on more than one occasion) with extremely limited interaction. (leaving the goods on a beach and going back to the ship to send smoke signals) Maybe this is why we don't find more concrete proof here in the Americas (as well as the wheel, metallurgy, and olive trees ;)) Of course this way of looking at it would mean that the pyramids were most likely independent inventions also. Now if you're going to go argue with the pros or even somebody who knows there stuff unlike me then you're going to have to argue it one way or the other, can't have the cake and eat it too. :) Anyways- I could go on at this point but.... I have work to do. I am VERY much looking forward to seeing what you come up with for those dates on the things discussed above. Thanks for the mental stimulation- have a good one. ;D ;D

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are numerous treasures to be found in that whole area, all it takes is hard work, research and just a bit of good luck. I found evidence of Dutch military forces being engaged in a battle which is not in any of the history books along a stream that joins the Susquehanna near Tunkhannock, including one half of a bar-shot (the type with two cannon balls connected by a bar) which proved to be Dutch and dating to the mid 1600s as well as a number of huge musket balls. I did learn that the Dutch laid claim to the region and did involve their military forces assisting one Indian tribe against another during the so-called "Beaver wars" and this is most likely how the Dutch cannonball came to be there, so not to repeat this too many times but you just never know what you will find there. I could add that I found a British buckle from the 96th regt of foot on an old Indian trail that led to the same river too, and a friend found a button from Butler's Rangers a few miles from there along another stream that joins the Susquehanna. Members of the GPAA have reported finding gold nuggets in the Susquehanna river the size of dimes too, which are almost certainly glacial in origin but who cares how they got there when you find them! Good luck and good hunting Simons, Jeff and others who will hunt that region!

Now your in my backyard and you could not be more right. When the river allows I do as much hunting as possible along the mighty Susqhehanna. Its tough hunting but can be well worth it.

Wonderful thread,

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Another bit of information for those interested in the northern Pa. section of the Susquehanna.
This would be near Athens and Sayre, Pa. And also near the "Spanish Hill".
There has been a legend about several hundred brass cannons being sealed in a cave on Gore mountain in Tioga, Pa.
I have read a few articles on this in some treasure magazines.
I was born and raised in Tioga Co. I thought about this legend for about a year. I had never known of a Gore mountain in the area. I asked many older folks and they had never heard of it either.
Then one day it hit me.
This was suppose to have taken place in the 1700s. At that time Athens, Pa. Bradford Co. was called Tioga. So I did a little research on that area and there is a Gore mountain there and was a Gore family with an inn many years ago.
They would have had access to the Susquehanna river for their cannon factory. I read where they were Revolutionary Patriots who were making the cannons.
A lesson I did learn here was to always put yourself in the time frame when it took place. Everything could have been much different then than it is today.
Hope this information will help a fellow treasure hunter, Clayton

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clayton,

I heard this Story Also, But could not get any
Details, Other then, I believe I was told Potter county.
In Lost Treasure when I asked them.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
WOW several hundred brass cannons hidden somewhere there? Even ONE ancient cannon can bring upwards of several thousand dollars today! I would sure appreciate any further info, not that I can make a trip there to search for it but the area still holds interest for me and I find this fascinating.

There may be remaining ruins of a cannon foundry still there, assuming they were manufacturing them on the spot, and this raises many questions such as where they got their supply of brass etc. The cannons from a single warship or two might have provided such a number (though they would have to be the very biggest ships of the line) or they could have been casting the cannons on the spot, as mentioned. Why were they hidden? Was it the approach of the British-Indian army that made the huge raid on the Wyoming valley as well as raising havoc along the west branch? Or were they Tories, making cannons for the British, (there were a surprising number of Tories living along the Susquehanna river, I found a list of some 32 who joined Butler's force for the raid on Wyoming) who hid the cannons in fear of the Sullivan expedition marching UP the river to attack British allied Iroquois? Is there any supporting evidence of this fantastic treasure trove of cannons? (Any found, for instance.)

Sometimes old legends like this can really pay off - just a couple years ago there was a treasure hunter in Virginia who heard an old tale (which was dismissed by pretty much everyone) of a British fort on a river there. The story went that when the British in the fort heard that the American army was fast approaching, they cast all their cannons into the river and retreated to join Cornwallis on his way to Yorktown. This THer went diving in the river, in the area where the story is supposed to have happened, and recovered no less than FORTY bronze cannons from the river! He was still selling them online last year, may still have some but if memory serves he was getting six or seven thousand $$$ each, with restored gun carriages. The guns were apparently all of the naval gun type, with naval carriages, which would not have been easy to move overland so explains why they were just dumped in the river rather than trying to take the guns to Cornwallis.

That area along the old Susque-hanny is so full of history that many folks cannot grasp it. I have done some MDing along that river and it takes a great deal of dedication to keep going with SO much metal junk in the ground as a result of so many terrible floods, garbage cast into the river over the years and so on, but in with that junk is some truly amazing artifacts.

Dang it I have to git, will have to check back later...
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cannonman wrote,Hello-

I see what you're t"rying to say... maybe hit and miss with the technologies that were transfered. Possible... It does seem to me though that in some cases you make good points that would lead me to believe that there was sustained or at least repeated contact giving credence to the idea that goods/ideas/technologies could have been exchanged. Then in other posts you almost seem to argue only accidental discovery of the new world (even if on more than one occasion) with extremely limited interaction. (leaving the goods on a beach and going back to the ship to send smoke signals) Maybe this is why we don't find more concrete proof here in the Americas (as well as the wheel, metallurgy, and olive trees ) Of course this way of looking at it would mean that the pyramids were most likely independent inventions also. Now if you're going to go argue with the pros or even somebody who knows there stuff unlike me then you're going to have to argue it one way or the other, can't have the cake and eat it too. Anyways- I could go on at this point but.... I have work to do. I am VERY much looking forward to seeing what you come up with for those dates on the things discussed above. Thanks for the mental stimulation- have a good one. "

Greetings Cannonman and everyone,
I think I have not been clear (though I sure know how to take the long way round to get there – egads didn’t realize I wrote so much here!) on just what sort of ancient contact I am proposing did happen. According to Diodorus and Aristotle, Carthaginians and Phoenicians found what can only be America by accident, during a deliberate mission of exploration and colonization. Thus they were in fact out exploring in the Atlantic and several expeditions at that, but the first discovery of America was done by merchant ships accompanying the expedition, not the warships and commander Hanno nor Himilco. Hanno made more than one voyage of exploration too – the first voyage did not circumnavigate Africa, but a later trip did. Pliny states that Hanno was four years on his last voyage, which period is long enough to reach very distant destinations. (A side note is in order here, but Pliny the Elder, a former Roman admiral, lamented that the art of seagoing navigation had greatly declined since former times by his own era, which is the first century AD. This statement implies that in former times, voyages were greater, and by his time voyages did not equal those of times past, like when Carthage ruled the waves.)

Once this discovery was made, Punic ships sailed there for the express purpose of fishing – the fish caught were preserved and brought to Carthage, where according to Aristotle again, they refused to export or sell the catch, “…these alone they do not export, but keep for themselves, and consider the fish a great delicacy.” (from On Marvelous Things Heard) The great fishing appears to have been the primary purpose for Punic sailors to visit America, but the land was also a source of a considerable amount of gold and timber (again check sources Aristotle and Diodorus) though their interaction with native inhabitants was –limited- for the area where they planted the abortive colony was first discovered to be virtually un-inhabited; later they found peoples who were living in cities and had impressive gardens as well as villas or manors. (See Diodorus Library of History, books II and III specifically) There is nothing to indicate that their interaction with the native peoples were anything but on friendly terms; the items offered in trade by Punic traders would very likely include salt (they owned and operated a number of salt mines in the Sahara, see Ptolemy, Geography and Strabo, the mines were later taken over by Romans who used them as penal labor camps) as this was their favorite commodity to trade with more primitive peoples; if they made contact with the more advanced Mayans, then they may have had little to offer in the way of any superior technology – and we are not claiming here that the Carthaginians nor any other civilization actually –taught- the Amerindians HOW to build their pyramids, but as has been the case throughout history, sailors love to tell stories of the strange and wondrous lands they have visited; these tales of impressive man-made mountains, the pyramids, could (and I will propose would) have been the source of inspiration for Amerindian cultures to build their own pyramids. After all, they are built of different materials and using different methods from the pyramids of Egypt, just as those in Rome, China or Korea are, but there is a strong likelihood that the idea or inspiration to build their own pyramids came from reports of the original models in Egypt. It is a bit illogical to take the position that people just naturally start building pyramids, without any evidence of independent invention to support that contention.

The contact would never have been on any kind of regular schedule, though the voyages of king Solomon’s “navy” were on a three-year timetable and Punic merchants may have done the same; the amount of goods exchanged would be limited to what would fit in a handful of ships. This explains why we find only what amounts to “traces” of contact rather than vast and incontrovertible evidence, and why there ARE traces when, if the Isolationist theory is correct, there cannot be ANY. A single bit of evidence of a single visit by a ship from the Old World cannot exist, for the Isolation theory to hold true.

The contact would almost certainly have stopped altogether on the fall of Carthage 146 BC, though there is a pattern in the evidence that suggests what contact existed also fell off at the end of the first Punic war, in which Carthage suffered tremendous losses of warships; and though the Romans left us little record of the naval battles which took place in the second Punic war, we can be sure there were large engagements in which still more loss of ships and experienced sailors occurred. Because of the habit of Carthage (like her mother city Tyre) of hiring mercenaries as soldiers and marines, some of the men from other nations appear to have gained knowledge of the secret land – check Plutarch’s book the Life of Sertorius. Sertorius, at one point in his career, is informed of the “blessed isles” across the Atlantic, from which some Iberians (quite possibly Punic, or Iberians who had sailed on Punic ships) had recently returned, and is tempted to flee there and live a life in exile and peace. He chose not to, or perhaps we would have more evidence of Roman visitors.

Yes, I am caught up in the anomalies – for it is among these most frequently dismissed and ignored anomalies that any evidence of contact will most likely be found. Only when we can find a pattern in the anomalies can we begin to form a case for some level of contact, and there are patterns of particular visitors, within a particular time frame. There are numerous other anomalies that could suggest cross-oceanic contacts even early in the Bronze age, such as the two incidences of cuneiform-covered clay tablets discovered in America, one discovered among the possessions of famous Nez Perce chief Joseph, the other found on a beach in Georgia (if memory serves) but there is little in the way of supporting evidence to suggest Sumerian or Babylonian visitors, of which one of the clay tablets were – one Sumerian and one Babylonian. So it is a matter of sifting through the anomalies to find those that will fit in the pattern that points to contact between cultures, and can fit with one party being renowned for their seafaring abilities or at least capable of such a voyage. This pretty well excludes Sumerians as potential visitors as they are not known for being particularly great sailors, but in the case of a few like the Carthaginians, we find they were certainly capable of making such crossings.

There could not be large scale contact or we would have masses of evidence, nor can there have been NO contact or we would have no evidence, so in a sense I am claiming to be able to “have the cake and eat it too” (though it must be a cupcake and not a whole layer cake ;)) because that view, saying it MUST be either large-scale contact, or NONE, will not fit with the evidence and neither is the case. I am sure that I will run into skeptics who will take that position, but I hope I can present the case to them that it was neither large scale nor utter isolation.

We do not find olive trees growing in Mexico on the arrival of the first Spanish explorers, and this should come as no surprise. Greeks and Romans habitually introduced these most profitable and long-lived of orchard trees to most (if not all) of their new colonies, or at least those with a suitable climate. In the case of the Phoenicians, not so much – though they do appear to have introduced date palms and pomegranates in many of the places they planted some colonists, and again only where the climate would support them. On the other hand, of the goods Carthaginians were likely to have traded, we must wonder why then are no Punic amphorae found in the ruins of Palenque? Again, for one good reason which is almost so modern-sounding it makes me smile – Punic traders frequently requested the return of their amphorae, transferring the contents to local containers, almost like the old returnable pop bottles! (Greeks did this too, to a lesser extent but check on Ptolemaic dynasties habit of gathering as many “empties” as they could for use as water storage containers in their desert outposts!) Then again, there ARE Punic and Iberian-punic amphorae found in the Americas; for instance several recovered from the Punic wreck off of Honduras and at this moment sit on display in a museum there (I am including photos of these in the book) as well as two Iberian-punic amphorae found by divers off the coast of Maine, not to mention the dozens and dozens lying in the Plain of Jars (Brazil) which are classed as “North African” by the experts who have examined them – so they could have been trading even those delicious olives in America too, as well as their famous Tyrian purple dye!

It is also very likely they would have been buying and selling relatively local trade goods, possibly a greater proportion of these than of their Mediterranean commodities. There is an ancient Greek text dating to the first century BC, titled the Periplus Erythraeum, which describes how to sail in the Indian ocean, what ports of call sell what types of merchandise, the short route across the Indian ocean via the deep water route and taking advantage of the monsoon winds, and specifically recommends what particular goods to buy in specific ports, that can be traded at ports both further and closer along the routes! So it is not likely a case of hauling a load of Punic raisin wine to sell for Mayan gold and heading for home, but of multiple (small) exchanges along a coast, exchanging goods along the way that the locals could have done themselves if they only were to sail a relatively short distance up or down the shore, in order to maximize the potential profits of the traders. For this reason , by the time Phoenician ships reached their home ports and nearby cities in the Mediterranean, were known to be selling a tremendous variety of spices, incense, jewelry, wines and so on.

I also have not covered a considerable amount of other (admittedly “anomalous”) evidence, like the Canaanite* dogs (considered by some to be the oldest pure-breed dog in the world, virtually identical to Carolina wild dogs and remarkably similar to wild dogs in India and the Dingoes of Australia) or the incident reported by Columbus in his very first voyage of encountering an old Amerindian who had a gold coin hanging from his nose, “…the size of a castellano bean”, which had some kind of lettering on it – he could not induce the old Indio to part with his intriguing nasal-appendage for anything offered, so we are left with an inexplicable mystery; since by the Isolation theory, and we know of no Amerindian culture which made and used coins much less have lettering on them, there cannot be ANY such gold coin found there by the very first European to visit the islands in the Caribbean. Does the finding of a single coin indicate contact on a massive scale, with fleets of ships carrying cargoes across the Atlantic in the Classical age? Of course not, but by the Isolation theory, this coin cannot exist! As you can tell, I am also shooting for your title of king of the run-on sentences here too! (heh heh) I already have the title of the World’s Slowest Writer, (first runner-up for Beating The Dead Horse Award) with more than eight years on ONE book project – but I wish to get it right. We all know one can at least reply in some fashion to critical comment on your writing when it is an article in some periodical, but in a book there is little way of answering the skeptics when points are raised short of writing ANOTHER book. So I do appreciate the many valid points you have raised, allows me to address them in the book instead of spending another eight years to reply to the skeptics.

Naturally some of the skeptics have dismissed the coin-on-a-nose incident as a case of Columbus being unable to differentiate between “letters” and Mayan symbolism, but recall that Columbus, while misguided in his discovery of Caribbean islands, was a fairly well-educated man and could certainly tell the difference between “letters” and odd symbols.

*Canaanite is what Phoenician people called themselves, whether he lived in Tyre or Sidon or Carthage or in the hinterlands of Africa or Spain, or to be correct they pronounced it more like “Ki-na-an-i”; we call them Phoenician and Punic and Carthaginian today because this is from our Greek and Latin roots in our language. In fact you find that the Greeks and Roman writers in ancient times did not greatly differentiate between Phoenicians of Tyre or Poeni of Carthage, referring to ALL as Phoenician as it comes through in an English translation.

I have only begun the process of investigating the Mound builder mass graves, introduction of bow and arrow etc but wanted to try to clarify the claims I am making in “short” (I have a LOT of trouble trying to present the theory in a short manner, as you can tell!) so as not to confuse the readers; and clearly I have not done so successfully in previous posts – for the evidence of contact does not support either large-scale trade NOR total non-contact (the old Isolation theory held in such high esteem) but contact on what (to most) would be considered a small scale, with different levels of contact taking place in the case of different local tribes (remember there were over 300 tribes in North America alone) with each case resulting in different exchanges. There were obviously many tribes which never made contact with any Old World cultures (prior to Columbus), while in other cases we see traces of some kind of contact taking place. Some of the contacts were doubtless like the smoke-signal type, with little actual interaction between the parties, in other cases the contact was almost certainly more intimate resulting (arguably, of course) in the exchange of some ideas (like sailors telling tales of man-made mountains they had seen in the land of the Pharaohs, as well as sea monsters, a habit Punic sailors had when visiting foreign ports in order to frighten other potential seafarers from venturing beyond the Pillars of Herakles/Hercules/Melqart/Briarus we call today the Straits of Gibraltar, into their private lake, the Atlantic ocean) and (arguably, again) perhaps the borrowing of some “loan words” which can be traced in Amerindian languages today.

The Carthaginians kept the Straits of Gibraltar as a closed gate to virtually ALL other ships. As soon as the state had grown enough in power, they attacked and destroyed the Phoenician-founded city state of Tartessus in Spain, which had held the Straits and the Atlantic trade as well, prior to Carthage. A full squadron of Punic warships was kept on permanent station near the Strait, and any ship found beyond the passage which did not have the permission of the government of Carthage was ordered to be sunk on sight. The Greek explorer Pytheas managed to slip past the warships during a war between Carthage and Syracuse, and explored the British Isles, even reaching Iceland, though the result of his discoveries was that he was left destitute in his home city of Massalia (today Marseilles, France) and a subject of ridicule because his own countrymen could not believe his reports. (Permission from Carthage included that an agent of their government must be present on any foreign ship allowed to pass.) Punic control of the straits prevented much exploration or trade beyond that point by Greek or Roman merchants until after the fall of Carthage. They kept their distant trading ports secret from Greek and Roman competitors as much as possible, even from close allies! According to Diodorus, not long after Carthaginians returned from America, their ally the Etruscans (also known as Tyrrhenians) learned of the discovery from Punic seamen, and proposed to dispatch a colony there - but were prevented by Carthage from doing so! Even when their Tyrian relatives, fleeing the destruction of Tyre by Alexander, wished to pass the straits and on to the secret land, Carthage refused to allow passage. Perhaps if they had not made such strenuous efforts to keep the distant land a trade secret, we would have far more evidence to be arguing over, but they were largely successful in keeping all competitors out.

The possibility of diseases being introduced is a fascinating one, and a point sure to be raised by the skeptics so I need to research this matter more fully. I recall something I read a couple of years ago about an outbreak of a disease in the time of Socrates (a plague) which some have proposed originated not in the Old world but in the New, for one example; as well as sexually-transmitted disease like syphilis, believed by the experts to have originated in the New World so no trace of it –should- be found in the Old world prior to the time of Columbus. Rats are another objection to ancient contact that I have already been made aware of by skeptics, as they claim that Old World rats would surely have been introduced by any ancient visitor, yet from my own research there is good reason to believe that Phoenician and Punic seafarers were markedly better at keeping their vessels free of rodent infestations than their Greek and Roman counterparts – read the Greek historian Thucydides description of Phoenician ships in his history of the wars between Athens and Sparta to see what I am referring to. He is quite generous in his praise of how well laid out all of the equipment is, the cleanliness of the vessel, and how well the deck hands are trained in the storage, the strict order and use of the ship’s equipment, especially compared to equivalent Greek ships.

I have drifted pretty far from the base subject of this thread, so will try to tie it back in here. Am I saying that what Joseph Smith found was absolutely not what he believed them to be, no – I think it is highly possible though. Does this mean that the great treasury of Carthage, which Rome failed to capture in destroying their greatest rival, must be hidden on the Susquehanna river? No, but it is a possibility. Without more clues as to where the desperate Carthaginians secreted their mass of silver and gold, it is not possible to say where they hid it. I do say what better place to take their treasure, knowing the city was lost (as when the Romans were building the mole to close the harbor) than to a secret land that they knew the Romans were unaware of? The Susquehanna has had a number of Punic artifacts turn up there, and may be the actual site where Carthage once attempted to plant her colony. The grave markers support this idea. Could the gold plates found by Smith have been left by lost tribes of Israel? They could, and no less illustrious persons than William Penn and Thomas Jefferson were convinced that some of the Amerindian tribes were indeed lost tribes of Israel. In either case, I am willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut that some great finds are just waiting for someone to dig them up along that untamed river valley, finds which may well result in history books having to be revised.

Anyway I hope I have at least not muddied the water even more, and my apologies for the long-winded monologue again. I have plenty of research to do, thanks to you Cannonman, new leads that I had not thought of before. I owe you one!
Your friend,
Roy - Oroblanco

"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Dang it I get carried away with this subject, and make mistakes! It is the Bay of Jars, not the "Plain of Jars" in Brazil. Yeesh. Sorry about that. Also, when I said I owe you one Cannonman, I meant that in a NICE way, like one cold beer, not something unpleasant! ;D Take it easy, will check back with you later.
your friend,
Roy - Oroblanco

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Not trying to be funny but could they have built the large wall with very large stones that Jeff of PA or someone had in a different post? Looks to good to be natural!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richg said:
Not trying to be funny but could they have built the large wall with very large stones that Jeff of PA or someone had in a different post? Looks to good to be natural!!!

If You actually stand at it and look, it
appears to be as perfectly stacked at a House Foundation.

However, being most of the rocks are as big as Railroad Cars, and bigger. I can't see Who could have done it.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,34273.msg235254.html#msg235254

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I dont know Jeff but it looks to good to be natural. How are you making out with the EX-2? I think when we were out last time you were using the soveriegn. Good Luck!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• indexn.jpg
    indexn.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,649
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the many pinnacles on the ridge line. This is right where the trail meets the ridge line and there is a little bit of a gap. A six foot person would stand about as high as the crack at the bottom.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzxxx.jpg
    zzzzzzzxxx.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,645
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Wails Head

This is your first up-close view of Boxcar Rocks from the north. This is actually the shorter side as the wall is about thirty feet higher on the south side.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,060

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread