Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out on a little swamp dig and messed around in some muddy trash pits. Dug mainly junk and crappe iron, but after all day slinging oyster shell in the weeds and marsh I came up with this intact brass stirrup. This is actually the first complete one I've ever dug. I have probably 25 iron ones which I've restored, but it was hard to find a complete brass. Now I have one, so I'm very happy.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

After being preyed upon by the vicious Louisiana State Birds, I retreated out of the swamp to the cane fields for the second day of diggin. In the early morning I got out in the field in my rubber boots, me. Had my Delcambre Reebocks on! I had just gotten a wobbly little signal when out popped SPANISH SILVER!! It was SO nice to see a 1700s silver in the dirt before 7am. When that happens, the rest of the day is Lagniappe! :headbang:

IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2429.JPG

Well, the day was far from over. First it was a nice trigger guard piece, then a flat button or two, then the rain started to fall. I think I said something like GD MF SOB POS then I sat in the truck and ate a sandwich and...

the rain didn't stop. :(

So I drove off to another spot I've been thinking about for a while. Preliminary hunts turned up lots of new crappe but we had eyeballed pipe stems from the 1700s there...so I thought it was worth a shot. When I drove way back in the fields there, all was still dry and it was game on. :)

I eyeballed some marbles, then saw a tiny pill bottle:

IMG_2447.JPG

All was going well, except for the fact that this site was full of aluminum can, pull tab, and screw cap. But occasionally there was an older find. Well, the clouds started looking darker and darker. And the wind started blowing. I think I said something like GD MF POS SOB again and when the drops started falling, I knew if I didn't walk to the truck soon then no amount of 4WD was gonna get me out of there, and I'd be asking a property owner for help! :whip2:

BUT, all of a sudden I got a solid 82 on the F75, reading 2 inches deep. Banger signal. Hoping for the best, but having dug some copper pipe from the field I wasn't expecting much... but when I dug I saw the FLASH of SILVER!

IMG_2430.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

I would've actually been quite happy with an SLQ, since I have only dug two of them in 25 years--one many years ago in Virginia and one in Louisiana a few years ago. BUT this turned out to be my 3rd Barber quarter this year. Crazy that I had never dug a Barber Quarter and now I have 6 of them in 28 months. Seems like they were hiding from me before! :D

Anyhow, you can see in that last photo up above that the rain drops had started to hit my glove. I ran for the truck and got out of there just in time.

Here are the finds:

The Barber Quarter is a 1908

HPIM5501.JPG HPIM5502.JPG

The half real is plow destroyed, but I can see the last digit of the date ("2")--and the assayers' initials "FF" and Mexico City Mint mean this must be a 1782. :)

HPIM5503.JPG HPIM5504.JPG

And here are the rest of the finds, including the marbles, china doll legs, and gawgag. :laughing9:

HPIM5497.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Upvote 48

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent Hunt Buck! And yep, when a killer find shows early its lagniappe after that bruddah. But alas, Lache pas la patate!

Wish them Saints could have done the same.

Cheers on an excellent hunt

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice story and finds. Congrats

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! The little pill bottle is pretty cool, so is the Spanish silver of course! I'd turn the bottle into an ornament ;)

Funny that you mention that--When I decorate my Christmas tree, my wife and I string up colonial clay pipe stems like strings of popcorn, and we hang gilded flat buttons on ornament hangers to reflect the light :)

I have an 1890s figurine of a woman with a tambourine which I dug from a privy in Indiana that we use as a tree topper. :D

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Hunt Buck! And yep, when a killer find shows early its lagniappe after that bruddah. But alas, Lache pas la patate!

Wish them Saints could have done the same.

Cheers on an excellent hunt

You aren't kidding about those Saints. I stopped watching because they disappointed me so much. Just couldn't handle the stress! LOL

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, BB!..............nice find's & LOVE the stirrup!!

Iowa Dale

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, it looks like someone tried to eat that bit of Spanish silver!
But I would gladly take one like that any day of the year,
Mucho Kudos!
Carl

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet that is Sweet pulling out out Spanish silver early in the day. Love that old silver but, that intact stirrup is Awesome too!! Congrats!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply awesome finds... Barber, Spanish, marbles, stirrup...

Congrats on such a nice set of finds, and excellent post!

Best of luck to you sir.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, quite the adventure, I like that bottle too.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of quality finds and very little crappe-you had a great day. My favorite is the stirrup. You should break out a shovel and dig through that first site-I hear that swamp pits can produce some pretty good relics. :wink:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that just the way it seems to go? Can't find a certain coin, but suddenly they start popping up in numbers. Congrats on your sixth Barber quarter!

Looks like the plough kissed your Spanish, but still a wicked sweet find!

I also like the stirrup, what do you figure the date range on it is?

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great finds, but have to say that is one cute little bottle! Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Buck. That Soanish is gnarley looking. I love the stirrup. Love to find a nice one some day. Question for you.... How many Spanish silvers have you found in your years of hunting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread