Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out on a little swamp dig and messed around in some muddy trash pits. Dug mainly junk and crappe iron, but after all day slinging oyster shell in the weeds and marsh I came up with this intact brass stirrup. This is actually the first complete one I've ever dug. I have probably 25 iron ones which I've restored, but it was hard to find a complete brass. Now I have one, so I'm very happy.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

After being preyed upon by the vicious Louisiana State Birds, I retreated out of the swamp to the cane fields for the second day of diggin. In the early morning I got out in the field in my rubber boots, me. Had my Delcambre Reebocks on! I had just gotten a wobbly little signal when out popped SPANISH SILVER!! It was SO nice to see a 1700s silver in the dirt before 7am. When that happens, the rest of the day is Lagniappe! :headbang:

IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2429.JPG

Well, the day was far from over. First it was a nice trigger guard piece, then a flat button or two, then the rain started to fall. I think I said something like GD MF SOB POS then I sat in the truck and ate a sandwich and...

the rain didn't stop. :(

So I drove off to another spot I've been thinking about for a while. Preliminary hunts turned up lots of new crappe but we had eyeballed pipe stems from the 1700s there...so I thought it was worth a shot. When I drove way back in the fields there, all was still dry and it was game on. :)

I eyeballed some marbles, then saw a tiny pill bottle:

IMG_2447.JPG

All was going well, except for the fact that this site was full of aluminum can, pull tab, and screw cap. But occasionally there was an older find. Well, the clouds started looking darker and darker. And the wind started blowing. I think I said something like GD MF POS SOB again and when the drops started falling, I knew if I didn't walk to the truck soon then no amount of 4WD was gonna get me out of there, and I'd be asking a property owner for help! :whip2:

BUT, all of a sudden I got a solid 82 on the F75, reading 2 inches deep. Banger signal. Hoping for the best, but having dug some copper pipe from the field I wasn't expecting much... but when I dug I saw the FLASH of SILVER!

IMG_2430.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

I would've actually been quite happy with an SLQ, since I have only dug two of them in 25 years--one many years ago in Virginia and one in Louisiana a few years ago. BUT this turned out to be my 3rd Barber quarter this year. Crazy that I had never dug a Barber Quarter and now I have 6 of them in 28 months. Seems like they were hiding from me before! :D

Anyhow, you can see in that last photo up above that the rain drops had started to hit my glove. I ran for the truck and got out of there just in time.

Here are the finds:

The Barber Quarter is a 1908

HPIM5501.JPG HPIM5502.JPG

The half real is plow destroyed, but I can see the last digit of the date ("2")--and the assayers' initials "FF" and Mexico City Mint mean this must be a 1782. :)

HPIM5503.JPG HPIM5504.JPG

And here are the rest of the finds, including the marbles, china doll legs, and gawgag. :laughing9:

HPIM5497.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Upvote 48

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, it looks like someone tried to eat that bit of Spanish silver!
But I would gladly take one like that any day of the year,
Mucho Kudos!
Carl

Thanks my friend. Sure was happy to see one, no matter the condition!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet that is Sweet pulling out out Spanish silver early in the day. Love that old silver but, that intact stirrup is Awesome too!! Congrats!!

Yep, I'm actually more stoked about the stirrup--because I know that in the types of sites I hunt (plowed fields)--I am not likely to find another one intact!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply awesome finds... Barber, Spanish, marbles, stirrup...

Congrats on such a nice set of finds, and excellent post!

Best of luck to you sir.

Thanks so much, and Best Wishes to you, Tom!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of quality finds and very little crappe-you had a great day. My favorite is the stirrup. You should break out a shovel and dig through that first site-I hear that swamp pits can produce some pretty good relics. :wink:

Haha, I sure hope there's a Bellarmine Jug in of them! Congrats again on that absolutely stunning find.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that just the way it seems to go? Can't find a certain coin, but suddenly they start popping up in numbers. Congrats on your sixth Barber quarter!

Looks like the plough kissed your Spanish, but still a wicked sweet find!

I also like the stirrup, what do you figure the date range on it is?

Yeah, that was the way it was with Civil War plates. Didn't dig one for many years then one in 2006 opened the flood gates and now I have several. Crazy how that works...

Not sure on the date range of the stirrup, but my hunch is slightly pre-Civil War, based on the age of the stuff at that site. Wish there was a good resource book on stirrups out there.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great finds, but have to say that is one cute little bottle! Congrats!

I only have a couple of intact bottles from plowed fields here. They have to be pretty small to dodge the plow for a hundred years!

Thanks for your reply, Tommy!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work recovering that brass stirrup Buck, any markings? Spanish may have lost the battle with the plow, but still a great dig

No markings on the stirrup, unfortunately. I was pleased to be able to get a date on the Spanish, which as you know doesn't always happen with cut/damaged coins.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Buck. That Soanish is gnarley looking. I love the stirrup. Love to find a nice one some day. Question for you.... How many Spanish silvers have you found in your years of hunting?

Would take some time to come up with a total for 25 year of digging, but I do have good records since 2012 and my buddy and I have between the two of us dug 66 Spanish in the past 4 years. The record year was 2013, when we dug 27 Spanish silvers.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck, a fantastic day of detecting, for sure! Thanks for your great post and photos--very enjoyable. Love the Barber quarter--haven't found one of them yet! -Lisa & John

Once you find one, you'll find more! Thank you for your kind reply, and wishing you two all the best!

-Buck

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice BB! The stirrup is a killer find. I have never dug a brass one. That was Shane's pill bottle-LOL. Glad it dried up enough for you to hunt. HH, Q.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS . PILL BOTTLE AND STIRRUP IS SWEEET .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet coins and relics,, glad you didn't get stuck in the mud.
I would definitely have a hard time pulling away from a hunt like that.
Congrats on a killer day.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice BB! The stirrup is a killer find. I have never dug a brass one. That was Shane's pill bottle-LOL. Glad it dried up enough for you to hunt. HH, Q.

Thanks my friend. Was great to hear from you today, and say hello to that bean head Doug for me. :D

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A multiple silver hunt is what we've come to expect from Buckleboy. And you came through yet again. WTG man!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread