Swamp Gold

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks THR for the volunteer work that you do to make TN a better place.

To update, I havent had anytime for research or to even register in my mind the information gathered thus far.. I want to clarify that the purpose of this thread was to obtain research in an attempt to find evidence supporting the Confederate Gold legend. I gave it the nickname "Swamp Gold." Of course we need to respect the laws of our government and that of the Miccosuki in our quest for knowlege.

The thought of deleting the entire thread crossed my mind because it has recently created such a stir. I am not the type of person that seeks attention. Im self-taught with only basic computer skills. I enjoy researching and writing even though I never got past a basic High School education. Most of my time spent here at TN was helping identify artifacts on the What Is It forum. When I left, the forum was considered the best isolated finds online identification forum in the Western Hemisphere. It just needs to be put into a database and I believe the time is right.

The Swamp Gold thread is the most comprehensive study on the subject and you will not find this much information anywhere else in one place. I have to admit its as intriguing as a mystery novel. I have decided to leave it all online so anyone can read it and let the research continue.

While we are waiting for BDDs results, the next step is the Historical Society in Davie to find any information on Captain Riley.. Anybody feel up to it?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, but no problem BigC, Im here for same reason as you and others, for the love of the hobby and this site....

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In March,1864,after delievering 400 head of cattle to CSA blockade runner Capt John Riley at Punta Rassa and recieving payment of $12,000 in gold Spanish and Cuban specie,the 2nd CSA Cow Calvary,under Capt John Lesley were engaged by Fort Meyers Union raiders,led by US Lt James T Green on Moses Barber's corduroy road.
Having knowledge of old Seminole War trails,the Confederates plunged into the Evergalades,with the Union in pursuit.
Lesley ordered CSA Pvt Lanier to stay behind and bury the gold,as he led the Union raiders off in another direction,finally losing the pursuing Yankees.
Lanier made it back to Fort Meade and reported to CSA COMMISSARY AGENT,Capt James McKay that he buried the gold in a hummock near where two small creeks met,and could find the location again.
April,1864,the rains came,and on April 7,1864,Pvt Lanier was killed at The Little Battle of Bowlegs Creek.
The location of that cattle gold payment was never found.
This is an account that I found concerning a Capt John Riley( Bless McIntosh).
I believe CSA Pvt Lanier's hummock is either located in south Lee County or north Collier County,not near Alligator Alley.
This could be the source of the legend because the Union or the CSA never ventured that far south into the Everglades.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I joined TN in March of this year. Many years before that, maybe 5 or 6 years ago I found this thread while searching on the Internet. It caught my attention because I believe I had been led to a location near Alligator Alley where there may be gold buried. Over the years I have passed by on I-75 always wondering if I would ever get the chance to see if something is buried there. Life is passing by faster and faster. We can't keep putting things off or we may never get a chance to pursue our dreams.

I have sometimes come across as a smart-alec know-it-all but it is because I have a deep-seated belief in what I have seen and where I think treasure is buried. I put my thoughts on this thread a while back. There are many people out there that read the posts on TN. You never know who they may be. One of them took me seriously enough to contact me. After numerous meetings we got to know each other enough for me to feel comfortable in showing him where I think the treasure is located. It is on tribal land. As far as I am concerned it belongs to the tribe.

I think it is meant to be found when the time is right. I believe I am guided by a higher power that has the ultimate control on what happens. I am only an instrument or tool in this. I really want nothing for myself other than the satisfaction of seeing the treasure brought to light. In the past I may have wanted to get the biggest backhoe I could get my hands on and start tearing up the ground in hopes of being lucky enough to be digging in exactly the right spot.

I joined TN in the hopes that I would meet the right people that had the skills and equipment to do things the right way. I now believe that I have access to the technology and the trust of serious people who want to help me achieve the goal of recovering whatever is buried in the ground at "Cloud Mountain".

I want to thank BCH for starting this thread and having the patience to keep it going. I know that he has been thru some rough times and only wish the best for him. Thanks

By the way, ECS is one heck of a researcher and fortunately has thick enough skin to put up with my harrassment. I hope he keeps at it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ANOTHER CAPT JOHN RILEY LOST CONFEDERATE GOLD FLORIDA STORY

Capt John Riley-Born John Riley Bless McIntosh,April 5,1819 in Green County ,Mississippi,was a blockade runner for the Confederacy.Riley was involved with a group called THE SOUTHERN MERCHANTS (KGC?)and conducted business from Galveston,Texas,and dealt with the cracker cowboy ranchers and CSA COW CALVARY out of Punta Rassa which he shipped to Cuba for payment in Spanish and Cuban gold coins.Capt John Riley,as he was known by his crew and bussiness associates also made runs to France for munnition supplies for the CSA.
HE WAS NEVER CAUGHT,CAPTURED,OR EVER LOST A SHIP.He died May 10,1901.
According to another Florida Confederate lost gold legend:
In 1862,Capt John Riley departed Galveston,Texas with a KGC shipment of gold coins in wooden kegs and the stolen dies from the Federal mint at New Orleans.The dies were overstamped with "CSA".The gold was said to come from KGC mines in the west.
On the west coast of Florida,Riley's ship was spotted by a Union gunboat and the chase was on.To avoid capture,Riley sailed up the Suwannee River,and reaching the 2nd bend,had his crew jetison the kegs containing the gold coins and dies into the river.
What I find suspect with this version is:
1. No UNION record of this event,even though the Union had gunboats patrol this coast of Florida,including the CSA Cedar Key saltworks and burning Yulee's Homosassa plantation.
2.Riley was a very successful blockade runner as mentioned above.
It is curious that Capt John Riley appears in this and the Everglades gold legend.
So the question arises-are these accounts based on real events,tall tales,or the fabrication of treasure mag writers?
But then again,these legends are what dreams are made of.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ECS

In March,1864,after delievering 400 head of cattle to CSA blockade runner Capt John Riley at Punta Rassa and recieving payment of $12,000 in gold Spanish and Cuban specie,the 2nd CSA Cow Calvary,under Capt John Lesley were engaged by Fort Meyers Union raiders,led by US Lt James T Green on Moses Barber's corduroy road.
Having knowledge of old Seminole War trails,the Confederates plunged into the Evergalades,with the Union in pursuit.
Lesley ordered CSA Pvt Lanier to stay behind and bury the gold,as he led the Union raiders off in another direction,finally losing the pursuing Yankees.
Lanier made it back to Fort Meade and reported to CSA COMMISSARY AGENT,Capt James McKay that he buried the gold in a hummock near where two small creeks met,and could find the location again.
April,1864,the rains came,and on April 7,1864,Pvt Lanier was killed at The Little Battle of Bowlegs Creek.
The location of that cattle gold payment was never found.

Wow ECS that is great information!! Thanks a ton. This puts us one big step closer to discovering the truth! Im sorry I have been busy working and without internet but I have one man I need to speak with ..

I think its possible for the CSA to have ventured south into the Alligator Alley area. The Seminole War trails certainly go further south past Fort Shackleford.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If I had time to research, I would start with Moses Barber's corduroy road. I think I have it in my files
This is great information... ECS you are the man...but Im on a slow WIFI at McDs with an antiquated laptop lol besides Im deer hunting tommorrow at 5 AM.

I have old maps of Lee County. Alligator Alley is in northern Collier County.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its 40 miles back to my camp so I gotta go. I have food that needs refrigerated. Ill check back in a week I guess. Keep up the great work. Best thread on the subject. Only at TN.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hello ECS. Im a bit confused and maybe I also suffer from a bit of wishful thinking..

I read your email but can you please clarify for me. You say your information comes from various sources,including military records from Union Fort Meyers and the CSA Cow calvary of Fort Meade,diaries from those who served both from university and college libraries,genealogy sites.

I am particularly interested in post #1127. Where did you obtain this? I need the exact quotes (not your words) and I also need to know the reference source of each sentence please, if its from more than one source..

This is great information but it depends on where it came from. (its only as good as its source) Thanks a bunch ECS. Please clarify.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As far as ECS post 1127 goes, I have someone that thinks they know the general location of that gold story and where the gold may be. They live out-of-state and are not interested in pursuing it. It is on the west coast of Florida. The gold that I am after on Alligator Alley is from a completely different story as I have stated more than once. The gold that I am after was a shipment being sent across the glades to be sent out to England for arms payment.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
As far as ECS post 1127 goes, I have someone that thinks they know the general location of that gold story and where the gold may be. They live out-of-state and are not interested in pursuing it. It is on the west coast of Florida. The gold that I am after on Alligator Alley is from a completely different story as I have stated more than once. The gold that I am after was a shipment being sent across the glades to be sent out to England for arms payment.
Thats certainly possible BDD and the Alligator Alley site is your business, not mine. Myself I am extremely interested in post 1127 but I simply need to know the reference.

A lot of people claim to know where the gold may be. If I knew where the gold was, I would not post online that I had this information. I would simply seek permission to go get it or forever let it lie. The purpose of this thread is research. To sort fact from fantasy; to seek answers to questions. Its a slow process but we are making progress. You are certainly welcome to share information. That is the purpose of this thread. I understand there are those that will not share but will steal my research and I guess I dont blame them.

Obviously someone thought that the Confederates did indeed penetrate into Collier County. The 40s news articles stated they truly believed the Confederates last campsite to be on the reservation. Even into western Broward County. I am hoping to obtain their source of information. They were not just guessing.

Yes BDD the Alligator Alley site may be the same or it may not... or it may be a figment of someones imagination. Truthfully I do not know and I think you suggested that you do not know for sure either. Somehow you were given the amount of half ton or whatever I believe, ... a wagonload for sure. I do not know how dowsing obtains information on weight and I will not ask. I need to keep an open mind and wait and see and I will leave it at that..

However lets use a little imagination while we wait for ECS to clarify. His 1127 post stated 12,000 dollars in gold specie, most likely 20 dollar gold pieces weighing approximately an ounce each.
gold 20 dollar.jpg

Correct me if Im wrong. 12,000 divided by 20 equals 600 gold coins. We are looking at about 40 pounds of coins, no more that 2/3rds of a bag of Sakrete. Not hard to carry if the load is split between a few men and very easy to stuff in a solution hole. Thats where I would put it if I were in their situation. I would tuck it in a deep cavern type solution hole and plug the opening by pounding in rock, sealing it in solid limestone. Of course at todays value, each coin could be worth thousands; well above the melt down price. And they would most likely be in very good condition.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
20+ years ago I was not into researching stories, I was being led by someone I trusted that had far more knowledge than me. He seemed to think the gold story on Alligator Alley amounted to 1000 pounds of gold. Although this may seem like a tremendous amount it is well less than a 1 cubic foot square of solid gold. It may have been bars but was very possibly coins. The day that I took my old friend to the site there were two other guys with us that had an old book that also contained the story of the 1000 pounds of gold being buried on the eastern edge of the swamp. The book even gave the approximate location by giving the compass headings from Ft Pierce and Ft Lauderdale. That location is now part of the Miccosukee reservation and as you well know I will be attempting to help recover the possible gold buried there.

The other location is on the west coast and very likely not far from the Gulf of Mexico. I will possibly share some of that info in the future.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I understand what you are saying. Its not a tremendous amount. And without OVid, you have nothing. You dont care much about research. I dont mean this in a bad way but you are relying completely on trust and what he told you before he died. The question is: Did Ovid dowse the amount with his pendulum or did he read it? What book(s) did he read it in?

Almost all of the treasure books will place Capt Rileys buried gold legend on the Indian Reservation. So my guess its the same legend. Some books say Seminole, some say Miccosuki but they all point to the Alligator Alley area, some with compass settings. The treasure legends were most likely written from the 40s newsclips that my friend Bramblefind found for me. However, I have one 1940s newsclipping with triangulated compass settings that place it in a different area completely on State land. I was keeping this tidbit to myself until now. If it lies west in the BCNP, we can just forget the whole thing. And where does the galvanized bucket full 1863 mint pennies that came up from the well pipe fit in?

I dont put too much stock in the amount as they vary with the author. Too bad you dont have the book BDD but my hunch is that its just another treasure book. You understand, I am seeking information from any other source other than a treasure book which cannot be relied upon as factual.

I am just hoping ECS's reference is not another treasure book. (fingers crossed)

Attachments

• swamp gold miami news 6.jpg
    swamp gold miami news 6.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As I stated there were two guys with me that had the book. Whether it was a "treasure" book or a history book does not make one more reliable than the other as far as I am concerned. Just my opinion. I didn't care about research 25 years ago but that does not mean I don't do research now. As a matter of fact I have done lots of research on all my stories. I just returned last night after driving a total of about 1500 miles involving treasure and research.

You say that without Ovid I have nothing. Well let's see. With the help of a tribal member I was able to spend time on the location that Ovid led me to 23 years ago. On and within 20 feet of where Ovid pointed out the buried gold spot there was evidence of activity from the long distant past. There were at least three different things that made me more convinced than ever that it is a GREAT location for there to be buried treasure. I will not share the details on here. Good luck with YOUR research. Maybe ECS will come through for you.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Like I said, I didnt mean it in a bad way. Since you already know the location, why research? (I am referring to this this particular cache only) You stated many times you trust completely in Ovid. You dont have his treasure/history book so it cannot help us. Too bad you didnt feel it was important enough to write down the title or author. A history book is more reliable in my opinion. Anyone can make up a treasure story for fame or profit, including myself, but I wont do it.

Almost every hammock in the Glades has evidence of prior activity going back thousands of years. To clarify my prior statement that if it wasnt for Ovid, you wouldnt know the exact spot, (you would have nothing). I hope I havent offended you. My forthright honesty and outspokeness sometimes rubs people the wrong way. Good luck and I see no reason why these threads should die just because I am no longer able to post. Yes ECS has helped tremendously and I hope he will continue as he was the first person to identify Capt Riley as a real historical person. I would like to see more participation. You never know who will see this thread and contribute.

Good luck to you as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Was there any train tracks in the area or was any train stories go with this gold ?
No, there were no train tracks. Only Seminole Indian War trails and corduroy roads. Cattle shipments and blockade runners.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How old is the Royal Poinciana tree in Florida and who brought it in? We know that it was growing on one of the island hammocks in the Everglades.

View attachment 711875

Delonix regia is a species of flowering plant in the family Fabaceae, subfamily Caesalpinioideae. It is noted for its fern-like leaves and flamboyant display of flowers. In many tropical parts of the world it is grown as an ornamental tree and in English it is given the name Royal Poinciana or Flamboyant. It is also one of several trees known as Flame tree.
In India it is known as Gulmohar گل مور or گلمور (Hindi and Urdu -‘Gul’ means ‘Flower’ and ‘Mohr’ is 'coin or stamp'.also "Gul" means flower and "Mor" means "Peacock". which seems to be most close to physical appearance and beauty of this tree
. wikipedia

Did the English bring the seeds from her prized colony in India? Did LG Harvey find these trees at the Ghost Village site ? The tree is called framboyan by the Spanish.

View attachment 711876

Attachments

• poinciana miami.jpg
    poinciana miami.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread