Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im not commenting on the show because I know nothing about it, but if map dowsing really worked, nobody would have to do any searching lol. ...and everything would already be found lol. Im sorry my common sense and honesty offends you.

Dowsing may have some merit but those map dowsers are a hoot!

Good luck with the show.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
i think it started in savanna could be south ga,near florida
It is possible that SOME of the CSA treasury that was taken May,1865 at the raid on Rev Dionysius Chennault's plantation in Washington,Ga may exist in south Georgia,but it would only be a paltry sum.It would have to been dropped during their escape,but I doubt that happened.
As for cattle payment gold,that was a separate operation,and not part of the CSA Treasury,but money of the cracker cowboy ranchers and the CSA "Cow Cavalry".
As for wagons of CSA gold across the EVERGLADES-that's legend!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In March,1864,after delievering 400 head of cattle to CSA blockade runner Capt John Riley at Punta Rassa and recieving payment of $12,000 in gold Spanish and Cuban specie,the 2nd CSA Cow Calvary,under Capt John Lesley were engaged by Fort Meyers Union raiders,led by US Lt James T Green on Moses Barber's corduroy road.
Having knowledge of old Seminole War trails,the Confederates plunged into the Evergalades,with the Union in pursuit.
Lesley ordered CSA Pvt Lanier to stay behind and bury the gold,as he led the Union raiders off in another direction,finally losing the pursuing Yankees.
Lanier made it back to Fort Meade and reported to CSA COMMISSARY AGENT,Capt James McKay that he buried the gold in a hummock near where two small creeks met,and could find the location again.
April,1864,the rains came,and on April 7,1864,Pvt Lanier was killed at The Little Battle of Bowlegs Creek.
The location of that cattle gold payment was never found.
BCH,if you follow Moses Barber's coduroy road from Punta Rassa and look at the location of Union Fort Meyers, CSA Capt
John Lesley would have traveled south to escape from Union Capt James D Green (Green was a Confederate deserter,a local,who also knew the old Seminole War trails).Lesley would have deverted Green's pursuit to the east,while Lanier continued south into the Corkscrew Swamp.
We do not know the exact day Lanier returned to CSA Fort Meade to report to CSA Capt James McKay,except it was before April 7,1864.
Considering the timeline and terrain,Lanier,on horseback, probably would not venture that deep into the Everglades,just far enough to avoid the Union,hid the gold cattle payment,and return to Fort Meade.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS do you think they were actually selling to Cuba or just being paid in Spanish and Cuban gold specie?

There is an excellent book written by Patrick Smith, "A Land Remembered", Historical fictional about the settlers who became cattlemen. They drove their cattle to Punta Rassa for Summerlin to purchase in Spanish gold coins, and then he would ship the cattle to Cuba. Anyone interested in Florida history should read it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There is an excellent book written by Patrick Smith, "A Land Remembered", Historical fictional about the settlers who became cattlemen. They drove their cattle to Punta Rassa for Summerlin to purchase in Spanish gold coins, and then he would ship the cattle to Cuba. Anyone interested in Florida history should read it.
Always appreciate your impute.That is a great book.
...and for those that think Disney built Orlando,it was Jacob Summerlin.
In 1873,Summerlin bought 200 acres around Lake Eola(now famous for its ugly fountain and swans) in Orlando.He also built the Summerlin Hotel,where he had an interesting encounter with Gen Henry S Sanford concerning if the county seat should be in Orlando or Sanford on the south bank of Lake Monroe.Sanford was not aware that the cracker cowboy he was questioning about Summerlin,was Summerlin.There are various accounts,but Summerlin put Sanford in his place.
In 1875,Summerlin ended the debate by loaning Orlando $7800.00 to build a new courthouse,basicly saying-"Pay me back when you can,if not,that's OK".
Orlando paid back Summerlin in 10 years.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH,if you follow Moses Barber's coduroy road from Punta Rassa and look at the location of Union Fort Meyers, CSA Capt
John Lesley would have traveled south to escape from Union Capt James D Green (Green was a Confederate deserter,a local,who also knew the old Seminole War trails).Lesley would have deverted Green's pursuit to the east,while Lanier continued south into the Corkscrew Swamp.
We do not know the exact day Lanier returned to CSA Fort Meade to report to CSA Capt James McKay,except it was before April 7,1864.
Considering the timeline and terrain,Lanier,on horseback, probably would not venture that deep into the Everglades,just far enough to avoid the Union,hid the gold cattle payment,and return to Fort Meade.
Hello ECS. Thank you for your continuous work on this South Florida gold legend. It is much appreciated.

Im sorry I havent been working on this project lately but I have some updates.

I think you could venture quite far on horseback down an existing trail in the dry season but your theories are certainly worth considering because we really dont know.. ECS could you post a map describing your theories?

Too bad we just couldnt map dowse the location lol.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A man popped into my station at work and told me to read this book.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The cattle gold legend is very interesting but it may remain a legend forever because most of South Florida is protected government owned land and its a good chance its buried in this area. Even though the Indians may be approachable, Miccosuki land is protected by the Indians themselves. I think it would be impossible to get a permit to search. Myself, I wont even carry a metal detector in my trunk while travelling through these lands because that alone may be illegal.

Nonetheless I still find it interesting. I wonder what ever happened to Captain Bill? Where is BigDogDad? Its too bad dowsing doesnt work lol.

Try REMOTE-VIEWING, then... if ya just wanna "look" around.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Im not commenting on the show because I know nothing about it, but if map dowsing really worked, nobody would have to do any searching lol. ...and everything would already be found lol. Im sorry my common sense and honesty offends you.

Dowsing may have some merit but those map dowsers are a hoot!

Good luck with the show.

DOWSING...? HA! Try REMOTE-VIEWING!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH,you may find this report entry of interest:
CSA Capt John T Lesley,Fort Meade-(John L)"Whidden known as Cutthroat John and his brother William Whidden with another man did desert the company at Fort Meade when the company was ordered to the BIG CYPRESS".
I spoke with a member of the Whidden family and I scribbled some notes of names and places. He told me he was directly related to family members in the Confederate Cow Cavalry.

Attachments

• big cypress early camp Whiddens.jpg
    big cypress early camp Whiddens.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I googled remote viewing Remote viewing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While remote viewing/ESP may have some merit, there are way too many frauds that claim to have harnessed psychic phenomena but there are probably a much higher percentage of amateur map dowsing treasure hunting frauds and TN has its share.

Do you know someone with this talent rebel?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well big cypress, you ain,t got et yet!. Good to know. The wrong day in the swamp gold would not be able to help. Good luck.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No I dont have it but it continues to interest me and I love the swamp. The majority of South Florida is completely off-limits to any type of treasure hunting but that doesnt mean that we cant continue to research history of this legend which we now know is not just a legend but very true.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Et as in eaten!. Its neat you are at home there. We need understanding through direct contact. Gold mysteries a bonus.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ah,, I aint got et yet and I aint got IT yet either lol. I thought et/IT was referring to the gold..

A gator did chase me away however 3 times. Here he is coming out of the swamp for the 3rd time. I grabbed my gear and snapped this photo before I backed off down the trail..

Attachments

• gator hook holey rock gator guarding his home 2013.jpg
    gator hook holey rock gator guarding his home 2013.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I spoke with a member of the Whidden family and I scribbled some notes of names and places. He told me he was directly related to family members in the Confederate Cow Cavalry.
Did he mention an oral family history that may relate to CSA swamp gold legend or to the lost cattle payment?These are the type of tales that are past down through a family.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Did he mention an oral family history that may relate to CSA swamp gold legend or to the lost cattle payment?These are the type of tales that are past down through a family.
When I find my notes, I will share. He told me he didnt know anything about the gold. I told him to ask his father.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When I find my notes, I will share. He told me he didnt know anything about the gold. I told him to ask his father.
Was there any mention of CSA Charles Greenleigh McKinney who served at Fort Meade under CSA Capt Henry,or his son in law,Charles Christopher Johnson?
Remember Johnson was wanted for coating silver dollars with gold and passing them off as $20 dollar gold coins.Where did Johnson obtain this gold?
Also,Mel Fisher consulted with Johnson concerning Florida treasue stories-an interesting connection.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Was there any mention of CSA Charles Greenleigh McKinney who served at Fort Meade under CSA Capt Henry,or his son in law,Charles Christopher Johnson?
Remember Johnson was wanted for coating silver dollars with gold and passing them off as $20 dollar gold coins.Where did Johnson obtain this gold?
Also,Mel Fisher consulted with Johnson concerning Florida treasue stories-an interesting connection.
I only spoke with him briefly. He wrote on a piece of paper his family tree and his families connection with the Confederate Cow Cavalry. He also stated that one of his relatives was killed that started the 2nd Seminole War. I need to find my notes before I can say much more.

He stated that he knows nothing about the gold legend/buried gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread