diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally started posting at 8:17AM. It took me to 9:03AM to post 3 simple images. This new format is so troublesome and slow its beyond ridiculous. Its no fun anymore.
You gotta get away from IE.
So your saying they're having this python hunt and they don't hgave anyone to man the stations to record the kills? That sounds like a perfect example of our state government at work. Stupid. I don't blame you for packing up after 5 mos. out there. I'd be ready for a few creature comforts myself. lol

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH
Find an open station and bag the longest and most snakes and pick up your $2500.

My uploads only take a few seconds. I use Chrome and Firefox. But you also need a fast connection.

V

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You gotta get away from IE.
So your saying they're having this python hunt and they don't hgave anyone to man the stations to record the kills? That sounds like a perfect example of our state government at work. Stupid. I don't blame you for packing up after 5 mos. out there. I'd be ready for a few creature comforts myself. lol
The Big Cypress National Preserve is cooperating with the Python Challenge but they request every hunter to check in and out. A sign tells every hunter that they must check in upon entering the Big Cypress but all five Wildlife Check Stations in the Big Cypress are closed.

The harvested Burmese python must be dropped off within 24 hours of its harvesting at an established drop-off location Drop-off Locations for Burmese Pythons Harvested for 2013 Python Challenge? From what I have read only one check station will be open in the Everglades region from 2PM to 6PM on weekends only, (somewhere near US 27 on Tamiami Trail) which is too far away from those that access the Big Cypress from the west.. The drop off locations are 100 miles from some hunting areas.

I was very comfortable in the swamp and I would have been glad to stay longer during the most comfortable months. I was told 2 weeks ago, I was not needed. My boss now says he certainly could have used my help but there is no money left for this. Hopefully funding will be in place by next year. All 5 check stations are in lockdown.

Attachments

• big cypress hunter check.jpg
    big cypress hunter check.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 162
  • big cypress hunter check station.jpg
    big cypress hunter check station.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found it.. thought i'd share.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I read it and its a good collection of short stories.

Ive been in the swamp for 5 months. Im back in town (Miami) now and I hate it. Cant wait to get back out.

There is one man I respect and would like to write a book about his experiences in the swamp. He lives on Loop Road. I hope I have time some day to write down his lifes experiences. But first I have to get him to agree to it.

Last edited:

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THERE WAS NO CONFEDERATE GOLD. The Confederates relied on credit extended by Britain and France. When Confederate soldiers were paid (which was very infrequently) they received worthless paper money. The stories are all a lot of fiction made up by people with a little knowledge of historical facts. That being said, the closest thing to reality on this particular story is that the famous Florida Cattleman, Jake Summerlin, did make a fortune in beef cattle both before and after the Civil War, by selling cattle to the Spanish in Cuba. He insisted on being paid in gold coin. But during the Civil War, all he ever received from the Confederate (and Union) government was paper money. The last 9 months or so of the war, he and many other cattlemen hid their herds in the Everglades to keep them out of the army quartermaster's hands (both sides) so they could sell the cattle in Cuba for gold. That's where the "seed" of truth lies on this story.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
THERE WAS NO CONFEDERATE GOLD. The Confederates relied on credit extended by Britain and France. When Confederate soldiers were paid (which was very infrequently) they received worthless paper money. The stories are all a lot of fiction made up by people with a little knowledge of historical facts. That being said, the closest thing to reality on this particular story is that the famous Florida Cattleman, Jake Summerlin, did make a fortune in beef cattle both before and after the Civil War, by selling cattle to the Spanish in Cuba. He insisted on being paid in gold coin. But during the Civil War, all he ever received from the Confederate (and Union) government was paper money. The last 9 months or so of the war, he and many other cattlemen hid their herds in the Everglades to keep them out of the army quartermaster's hands (both sides) so they could sell the cattle in Cuba for gold. That's where the "seed" of truth lies on this story.
Ah thanks. Now that explains why they sold their cattle to Cuba during the latter part of the war. Nothing fictional about the diarys uncovered by ECS..

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah thanks. Now that explains why they sold their cattle to Cuba during the latter part of the war. Nothing fictional about the diarys uncovered by ECS..
One only has to search the records of the CSA TREASURY in the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS to discover that the Confederates did have gold & silver species and bullion in their coffers.
Now for all the Confederate paymasters losing shipments of a 1/2 ton here or $250,000 there,I believe are tale tales,lore,and legends.
As for a lost cattle payment in Spanish and Cuban gold specie,its still lost.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
One only has to search the records of the CSA TREASURY in the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS to discover that the Confederates did have gold & silver species and bullion in their coffers.
Now for all the Confederate paymasters losing shipments of a 1/2 ton here or $250,000 there,I believe are tale tales,lore,and legends.
As for a lost cattle payment in Spanish and Cuban gold specie,its still lost.
ECS do you think they were actually selling to Cuba or just being paid in Spanish and Cuban gold specie?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS do you think they were actually selling to Cuba or just being paid in Spanish and Cuban gold specie?
Jacob Summerlin,cracker cow rancher,who owned the docks at Punta Rassa,sold cattle to Union at Fort Meyers,the CSA at Fort Meade,and through blockade runners (Riley),sold cattle for the CSA to Cuba.
CSA Capt James McKay Sr was the commissary agent at Fort Meade,and most of those transactions went through him.
Remember,Summerlin would only accept payment in gold for his cattle,be it Union,CSA,or blockade runs to Cuba.
My guess,is that several different nations specie were used by those involved.
Also,CSA Sec of State and later Sec Of Treasury,Judah P Benjamin (David Yulee's cousin) set up the blockade runners and routes to England,France,the Bahamas and Cuba.It was CSA Capt John T lesley and CSA Capt Leroy G Lesley of Fort Meade who aided Benjamin in his escape to the Bahamas from Gamble Mansion in Ellenton,Florida.Blockade runner,CSA Capt Archibald McNeil,an old friend of all involved,transported Benjamin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Where is our ol buddy BigDogDaddy? Any word on the Miccosuki dig?

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
MR. Grizzly Bare:
Do You Fly ?
AS far as, " Am I interested ? " :D
Yes! Sir!
I am ALWAYS INTERESTED! ::)
AND!
Since this year is going to be another of the Long Trips!
(8-12 months! 'kuz, I got a few extra bucks (The 40k) in my jeans! )
I certainly have/will, as You Do!, Have or MAKE! the time!
I was considering making it to Florida, :-\
BUT!
After some due consideraton, ( And a FEW? Hints from the Wife, about being "Flighty" ) I believe that I'l stay with my original plans!
I'll email you my phone number >>>>

Just marking so I can read on iPad lol

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The cattle gold legend is very interesting but it may remain a legend forever because most of South Florida is protected government owned land and its a good chance its buried in this area. Even though the Indians may be approachable, Miccosuki land is protected by the Indians themselves. I think it would be impossible to get a permit to search. Myself, I wont even carry a metal detector in my trunk while travelling through these lands because that alone may be illegal.

Nonetheless I still find it interesting. I wonder what ever happened to Captain Bill? Where is BigDogDad? Its too bad dowsing doesnt work lol.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ECS-Wrong as usual. I spent about an hour total on the whole deal and sent in a 12 minute DVD. So far the reply was that I was exactly what they are looking for. The DVD did not show me doing any digging, just talking, which I am very good at. I did make a 360 mile round trip today to a possible treasure site. I was going to share some of the details on here but you and BCH have made me change my mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions