Sweet Charm Mary with Rappen Shoes!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Sweet Charm Mary with Rappen Shoes!

Hello again everyone. Are we having fun yet? I did today. I got up a bit early, for a day off, and hit the road to detect a couple of school yard playgrounds before it got hot, or the kiddies came out of the woodwork to play. I donā€™t mind the occasional curious George asking me about what Iā€™m doing or what Iā€™m looking for... But I donā€™t particularly like being the Pied Piper if you know what I mean. When you have upwards of half a dozen or more of the big eyed woodchip monkeys following you around it gets a little tedious trying to make recoveries without having to shoulder your way in to even dig the target to begin with. Ah kids... you gotta love ā€˜em. SO... I try to avoid them if I canā€™t just give them the Iggy. (Ignore them and pretend that I canā€™t hear their questions) Well? I *AM* wearing headphones, they donā€™t know for sure if I can hear them or not... right? <grin> Anyway, up just after sunrise and in the chips soon after. The two school yards I chose for todayā€™s hunt are downtown in my fair city , and have lain idle for a few months now. All the kiddies are back in school now so I can only hunt those and other school yard tot lots on the weekends or holidays... or late evening before dark. Yeah.. the weekends. <smile>

School yard number one this morning, I roll up and thereā€™s not a soul stirring. Well, perhaps half a dozen squirrels running around the giant oak trees harvesting the fallen acorns. As it would turn out, they werenā€™t the only searchers harvesting this morning. WooHoo! I didnā€™t even make it to the woodchips before I started getting coin signals. Oh sure, a lot if not most of them were pennies to begin with, but soon I was finding a few quarters, a LOT of dimes and an unusually frequent appearance of nickels as well. Usually when I get a nickel signal in the school yard tot lots it turns out to be a pull tab or one of those pencil tip metal barrels that secure the erasure head to the top of the pencil. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a name for that little barrel, but I donā€™t happen to know it, other than as ā€œANOTHER ONE OF THOSEā€ . <laughing> Yeah, it was a good morning for clad recovery, and I had a few surprises along the way too. I found a coin that at first I thought was a pendant of some sort, and truthfully, thatā€™s probably what it was being used as. I looked it up this afternoon and got a little education. Turns out that my mystery coin is a Swiss ā€œRappenā€, although I think itā€™s been dipped in silver or mercury or something to make it all shiny. The minted and circulated Rappens are made of brass I think. Anyway, cool find.

Helv  Comp.jpg

As I said, I suspect the Rappen was used as a pendant or charm, prior to its loss and then its recovery by yoursā€™ truly. I would eventually find more ā€œcharmsā€ or pendants this morning, between the first and the second tot lots I hunted. One has a decidedly religious bent if you will, perhaps a touch of Catholicism for a Sunday morning. Is it ā€œMother Maryā€ or St. Mary or just ā€œMaryā€ ? Whatever, Iā€™ve now got a cute little charm or pendant with her likeness on one side.

Mary.JPG

I donā€™t know if ā€œMother Maryā€ was a ā€œRapperā€ (play on Rappen) <grin> or if she would have been a jogger if they had jogging shoes back then, but not far from where I found that charm I dug up another and it was a SHOE-in for silver... or so I thought. No hallmarks, no stamps, so itā€™s probably not silver after all. Still pretty cool find though.

Shoe Charm.JPG

A couple of swing sets down from the shoe I got a strong signal for a dime, but try as I might I couldnā€™t find the blessed thing (another play on the religious stuff) <laughing>. I eventually found it, by eyeball as much as with the use of my trusty Bullseye pin pointer. No easy trick considering how small it was, and down amongst the woodchips and dirt as it was... it was the back to a earring or something similar. How small? Oh about the size of two sesame seeds stacked atop each other. TINY! That along with some buttons and snaps and some blown out rivets from some kids jeans or jackets or whatever kept me SIFTING the woodchips this morning at BOTH tot lots. At the second tot lot I found some more bling, this time in the form of a complete set of earrings... cheap though they may be, itā€™s rare that you find both. They werenā€™t found together by the way, separated by probably fourteen feet or better. I also found a cheap metal wrist bangle. That one was hard to find too, nearly invisible because of itā€™s coloration when mixed in with the dark woodchips.

Bling.JPG

After the wristlet my finds definitely went to the Rats. Well to one rat anyway... or is it just one really big mouse? I unearthed (is that applicable to woodchips?) a Chuck E Cheese Token. That rat really gets around doesnā€™t he?

Chuckee.JPG

I know I know I know... some of you out there think that those tokens are just about worthless. And truth be known, I donā€™t disagree, but I still like digging them up. But then I get excited digging up penny after penny after pull tab. <smile> Even the trash is fun to uncover, most of the time. Sometimes however, it can be a challenge to locate the target even though your detector is screaming at you that itā€™s ā€œRIGHT THERE!ā€ Like the case this morning of first, what turned out to be a magnet. That kept me looking for a few minutes. And later, another magnet of sorts in the form of a headphones speaker, at least it was a little easier to spot because it was shiny.

Scraps.JPG

Coins, coins and more coins... combined with the scrap and trash certainly kept me on my hands and knees a lot this morning. The key was that there was something there to recover... like the keys I found as well. <grin>

Keys.JPG

Two for one on a ring! Even a painted key with tropical palms and the ocean in the background, some kid obviously wasnā€™t able to let him or herself into the house after school that day. (whenever it was that they lost the key). More keys to my growing key collection. Iā€™m going to have to make a BIG shadow box or display case to fit all those keys into it... maybe more than one display case? Oh well, speaking of collections, I found more of the usual suspects of course, pull tabs and can slaw and even plastic bottle caps. Or as I like to call them, ā€œBrownie Pointsā€. <smile>

Caps N Tabs.JPG

By the time I got finished up at the second tot lot this morning it was going on Ten Oā€™clock in the morning, and my stomach was growling... not to mention that my knee was beginning to make itself ā€œheardā€ a bit. No serious pain or anything, but I could feel it swelling a bit and thatā€™s not a good sign. So, I headed for home and my darling wife that I had left sleeping peacefully still in bed this morning when I headed out on my adventure. She was up when I got home, of course, and she had not had breakfast either. So, after cleaning up a bit and, she, getting dressed, we went to a local eatery for ā€œBrunchā€. Sometimes food just tastes better when someone else does the cooking! Hey...! Maybe THATā€™S why my wife likes MY cooking so well!! Dang it!~
After ā€œbrunchā€ we returned home, my wife resumed working on her paper for school, and I sorted through my finds from this morningā€™s hunt. After tallying up all the clad I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had nearly covered ā€œBRUNCHā€. <grin> Another fine addition to the Vacation fund indeed!

Clad.JPG

Not a bad collection for so much fun looking for it! And a beautiful day... Someone else cooked!... I even got to take a nap this afternoon before being talked into going shopping with my wife this evening. WOW! Itā€™s like a mini vacation in one day ! WooHoo! I guess it was a ā€œBlessedā€ day...<snicker> I hope the rest of you had as good a day or will have one soon. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Just an update on the "Silver" jogging shoe charm...

Shoe Charm.JPG

It's not silver. I had hopes, but I guess it was really too much to hope for. Still though, it was fun to find and a treasure none the less.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Attachments

• Shoe Charm.JPG
    Shoe Charm.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 443

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better hide that mouse token, Fro. If NickyP were to see that, he'd be trying to talk you outta that one. :D
You did good! That's a bunch 'o keepers! :icon_thumright:

Nana :hello:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Nana40 said:
You better hide that mouse token, Fro. If NickyP were to see that, he'd be trying to talk you outta that one. :D
You did good! That's a bunch 'o keepers! :icon_thumright:

Nana :hello:

I've got quite a growing collection of the Chuckee tokens. I find them all over the place, playgrounds, school yards, parks, even at the fair grounds.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

speedenforcer

Greenie
Aug 23, 2010
Wow they let you hunt the school grounds while school is open. You cant here. I have actually arrested a few for tresspassing on school grounds. It is generally ok here during the summer, weekends, and late in day when school is not in session, but not during a regular school day. But at any rate have fun and yes kids are great, they will even help ya dig. Sometimes you have to pry the object out of their little hands but they will help you.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
speedenforcer said:
Wow they let you hunt the school grounds while school is open. You cant here. I have actually arrested a few for tresspassing on school grounds. It is generally ok here during the summer, weekends, and late in day when school is not in session, but not during a regular school day. But at any rate have fun and yes kids are great, they will even help ya dig. Sometimes you have to pry the object out of their little hands but they will help you.

No. I don't think they would take too kindly to anyone trying to search the school playgrounds while school is in session, or at least while the kiddies are AT school anyway. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, that I was hunting the tot lots while the kids were in school. The weekends or on holidays when the schools are closed are the times I hunt those playgrounds... that or late in the evenings before dark. Yeah, it's not too "bright" as it were, to try to hunt those playgrounds after dark either. The police would be checking in on you in no time ! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
speedenforcer said:

Wow, does someone really need to be arrested if found metal detecting during a school day on school grounds?? :icon_scratch:

Wouldn't you just educate them and send them off with a warning?? :icon_scratch:

Are these people resisting you as you're dragging them through woodchips and away from all that clad and therefore you had to arrest them??? :dontknow:

HH all!

Greg (owner, Tot Lot Bail Bonds -1-800-CLADBAIL).....wow...... :help:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
1235CE said:
speedenforcer said:

Wow, does someone really need to be arrested if found metal detecting during a school day on school grounds?? :icon_scratch:

Wouldn't you just educate them and send them off with a warning?? :icon_scratch:

Are these people resisting you as you're dragging them through woodchips and away from all that clad and therefore you had to arrest them??? :dontknow:

HH all!

Greg (owner, Tot Lot Bail Bonds -1-800-CLADBAIL).....wow...... :help:

I don't know man, schools and officials are extremely paranoid these days. You've heard of "Zero Tollerance" laws haven't you? He...ck... kids can't even bring nail clippers to school anymore without being expelled or worse, ARRESTED. Can you believe it? I remember playing mumbly peg in the schoolyard... with *GASP* REAL KNIVES!!! In High School, guys used to bring their hunting rifles in their cars and trucks and swap or trade or just show them off to their buddies and even some of the faculty. Nobody brought them into the school, but hey, why would they? Now if someone is even RUMOURED to have a firearm in their vehicle they'll get waylayed and arrested by the FBI, the school goes into lockdown and somebody calls the Governor and the National Guard in to secure the County, let alone the school. Yeah, I can see some poor sap looking for coins in the playground getting tackled by some burly Sheriff's Deputies and Hauled off to Cuba somewhere to be interogated as a terrorist or something along those lines... You know... National security starts at home!.. or in the Schoolyard Tot Lots anyway. <laughing>

Be Carefull, but

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

speedenforcer

Greenie
Aug 23, 2010
it's called interfereing (I aint the best speller) with a school function. Now I never said I agreed with it, but 2 things. 1) I never arrest without reason, an arrest is not always the solution to a problem. 2) a school principle, a school superintendant, and a bunch of pissed off parents have a lot of power with elected Sheriffs. :dontknow:
oh and here are the reasons I arrested. one was drunk, one had a warrant, and another had a previous arrest for lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor, so he was at the wrong place for that kind of past which = go to jail.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt :icon_thumleft: them mice sneak into my recovery pouch from time to time also :laughing9: MR TUFF

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
speedenforcer said:
it's called interfereing (I aint the best speller) with a school function. Now I never said I agreed with it, but 2 things. 1) I never arrest without reason, an arrest is not always the solution to a problem. 2) a school principle, a school superintendant, and a bunch of pissed off parents have a lot of power with elected Sheriffs. :dontknow:
oh and here are the reasons I arrested. one was drunk, one had a warrant, and another had a previous arrest for lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor, so he was at the wrong place for that kind of past which = go to jail.

There's no doubt that there are a lot of sick people out there in the world today. Probably not anymore than in the past, it's just that we have better communications now and it's harder for them to slip by under the radar so to speak. That's not to say that they (MANY MANY) don't still slip by with little or no notice till something they do comes to the light of day... sad really. But I can understand the paranoia of parents and guardians and officials. I try to be aware of "How it would appear" no matter where I go to detect. Even public parks and playgrounds, if there are children playing in the tot lots, especially unattended children, I usually just forgo that spot and go somewhere else because I think like a parent... "How would I feel to see some stranger hanging around my kids?" You just got to pay attention and be considerate of others in everything you do. I've always managed to find other places to detect if one spot looks questionable. I'm sure everyone else can too. That said...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Mr Tuff said:
nice hunt :icon_thumleft: them mice sneak into my recovery pouch from time to time also :laughing9: MR TUFF

They're everywhere! They're everywhere! <laughing> Can you imagine someone digging one of these up some hundred or more years from now... thinking.. "what the devil kind of coin is this?" <laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread