Talk, talk, enough talk already.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so we can talk about the science here, as long as it's in a non-badgering way, right ? Like in the way Carl discusses it, right ?

We have already discussed this several times and you know our rules.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
We have already discussed this several times and you know our rules.

Yes. And I trust that I will be held to the same standards as anyone else. If/when I post here, it will be in the same tone/topics/material/content as Carl . In which case, I'd be ok. Right ?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. And I trust that I will be held to the same standards as anyone else. If/when I post here, it will be in the same tone/topics/material/content as Carl . In which case, I'd be ok. Right ?

I asked that question of my pendulum and it swung in the shape of a hammer. Forum dowsing...it's the new pet rock.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your going to badger members because you don't get a reply or don't like the reply you got you will find you can not post at all. No one has to prove anything to anyone. If you don't believe in dousing why are you determine to have someone explain it to you.

I have never tried to dowse treasure, but I have dowse many underground cables, power lines and water pipes, I have even dowse pipes that have never had anything in them except air.

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never tried to dowse treasure, but I have dowse many underground cables, power lines and water pipes, I have even dowse pipes that have never had anything in them except air.

That's still an active survey technique in many parts of Europe especially England.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Dowsing is not to be analyzed or reasoned out, but is to be done with trust. Having faith is synonymous with trust. The lack of faith in today's world is a horrible plague.

Ha Ha good clips, & yes I watched Hogan's Heroes before the times changed for me back then...

All I can say that I've done so far to try & relate, is that a few years back, there were some guys talking to me on my thread.
When they asked me if I'd ever tried dowsing, I honestly said no. So just for the fun or heck of it, I went out to my shop,
& grabbed 2 medium sized welding rods. I think they were about 11" long, & so I decided a 4" handle area would work,
& proceeded to bend them both carefully the same, even laying them together, making the bends both the same.
I then walked around my yard in front of the shop, holding the rods loosely resting in the bottom of my cupped
hands, pointed out straight in front of me about chest high, walking slowly by some scrap metal objects at
my left side, then by an older pick-up ('69) made with the real kind of heavier US metal. The rods pointed
toward the scrap metal as I walked by, & then over toward the old PU as I approached it. The guys told
me that I was gifted, but I told them that...

I really didn't have any kind of an
opinion before I started, whether I could do it, or not. No faith I could, & no doubt that I couldn't do it. I was
just neutral, with an open & inquisitive mind. I had seen grandpa use his old forked stick many years ago, but
wondered if it would really work, even though I saw it supposedly point down at a spot for him. But that's all
I really know about dowsing, but have used it in the field, though I think the minerals it was picking up were
either just iron, or deeper than I was willing to dig at the time. But when I cross over a spot & back, the rods
cross & point back toward me as I keep moving over, then cross & point forward as I back up, so there"s got
to be some thing about my body magnetism involved, is all I have come to think about it. No faith or doubt.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Do you all remember the scene on the show Hogan's Hero's when Sgt Schultz looks into the guard dog house and what happened when he did? Kind of reminds me of the relationship between dowsing skeptics, the dogs being dowsers and skeptics....

Ha Ha good clips, & yes I watched Hogan's Heroes before the times changed.....

Had fun watching this clip. Reminded me of my youth. Thanx ! But I am trying hard to figure out how the guard-dog-scene relates to md'ing/dowsing. :( Is it ok if ask you to elaborate ?

.... so there"s gotto be some thing about my body magnetism involved, ....

Yes. Un-explained science. Was it ok that I posted that ? :(

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell a short story on my experience with Dousing. Last year we had an electrical contractor at my place of work digging a trench looking for an underground conduit. (To be fair -we are an aluminum smelter and there is a steel fence around the property and aluminum chips all over the grounds). I have pulled my metal detector out before and walked a small section of grass and it is clearly pointless. You could maybe discriminate out only the highest conductors. I see this guy has dug a trench about 6" deep running east and west about 5 feet from the fence and side of the building and he starts using dousing rods to find the conduit. Now I had never seen anything like this because they usually are armed with a metal detector type locator just for this type of work, but he tells me it actually works. So I watch him and sure enough it seems to move but to be fair I can't remember how consistent it was and I could tell he isn't finding the conduit. So... I walk back to the truck and get my pinpointer and lay it in the trench and drag it along about a 3' foot section and find the conduit in about 60 secs. That was the last I thought of Dousing until I read this tread this morning.

Lets say a guy wanted to do some testing could someone recommend a dousing rod and I would be happy to purchase one and do some actually unbiased testing and report my results. I think a good method might me to hunt a few different locations and mark the spots I get an object with a metal detector. I might color code them for low, medium, and high conductors also considering other factors such as weather, buildings, emi, water..etc.

Then I would walk the same location with the dousing rods and see if I get any additional hits and/or note the things I miss. Then dig everything and show the report. I might mix this method up and start with the dousing first and detect after to be fair. ..Thoughts?

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dowsers are like magicians and comedians. If a magician elaborates on how the trick is done, the magic of it is gone. If a comedian elaborates on the comedy of the joke after telling it, because someone did not get it, then the comedy of the joke is gone. When dowsers go into the filed, we find all kinds of things. But in a double blinded test that tries to elaborates with control factors to prove it, the dowser cant't find anything.

Despite the snow and the cold conditions, here are some pictures I took of a dowsing shot I did the other day. The first shows the field I went into. The second picture shows just above my head shadow where I got a rod crossing, and the third shows my rod "X" over ground zero, as I call it. Is anything there? I won't know until I go back when it is warmer to check. I took a GPS reading to make sure that when I go back, I can find the same spot.

The weather is still very cold and the wind chill factor really kicks in.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• S5303724.JPG
    S5303724.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 61
  • S5303725.JPG
    S5303725.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 62
  • S5303726.JPG
    S5303726.JPG
    623 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Dowsers are like magicians and comedians. If a magician elaborates on how the trick is done, the magic of it is gone. If a comedian elaborates on the comedy of the joke after telling it, because someone did not get it, then the comedy of the joke is gone. ....

That's a new one on me. Thanx. I'll now add that to my growing list . Ie.: The answer of : "Yes there's an explanation. But it's a secret. We can't tell you."

Hope it's ok that I posted this.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a GPS reading to make sure that when I go back, I can find the same spot.

Depending on the GPS, it'll get you within 20-30 feet. I suggest pushing a 16d nail straight into the ground, it'll be easy to find.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets say a guy wanted to do some testing could someone recommend a dousing rod and I would be happy to purchase one and do some actually unbiased testing and report my results. I think a good method might me to hunt a few different locations and mark the spots I get an object with a metal detector. I might color code them for low, medium, and high conductors also considering other factors such as weather, buildings, emi, water..etc.

Then I would walk the same location with the dousing rods and see if I get any additional hits and/or note the things I miss. Then dig everything and show the report. I might mix this method up and start with the dousing first and detect after to be fair. ..Thoughts?

To avoid hijacking Les' thread, I'll write up some thoughts on this and start a new thread.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My GPS is far more accurate than within 20 to 30 feet every time.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prolly you already thought to do this, but before you use the GPS to re-locate the spot, try to dowse it again, Then compare the old & new dowse spot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I was just sharing a true personal experience...

As was I :( As for the un-explained science issue.

But in-so-far as Hogan's Hero's clip, that was a mis-quote. Sorry. You were not the one that posted that clip. That quote /question was mis-directed. Sorry. It was meant to be quoted to the link . In-so-far as the subject at hand. Sorry !! My bad :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On second thought, I am not going to attempt a target recovery in my pictures I posted above. Just as sure as shooting the skeptics would say I scanned in a 40 to 60 ft area. After all, they say a GPS will put you within a 20 to 30 foot area. That is way out of my range of scanning around ground zero. I'll just post after diging up a target when I get them. I do have a target I dowsed over a small canyon several years ago. Details of that find when j post it's picture in the future. Stay tuned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread