Talk, talk, enough talk already.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had thought of doing that, but changed to using a GPS. Dowsed today in another place in the desert. Got a rod cross. Scanned with my metal detector. Detector sounded loud and strong. I dug a fairly good size hole but could not find a target.?!!!

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
You know Les we may be pushing our bodies a little to far. We go out and sometimes walk miles. When we come to a large canyon or big sand wash we spend a lot of time finding a save way through it. Just think, we could get up at noon and drive the few blocks to the park. We could send the next few hours dodging the other treasure hunters and go home

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know Les we may be pushing our bodies a little to far. We go out and sometimes walk miles. When we come to a large canyon or big sand wash we spend a lot of time finding a save way through it. Just think, we could get up at noon and drive the few blocks to the park. We could send the next few hours dodging the other treasure hunters and go home
Yes, and that includes those long distance dowsing shots that would take years to do
with an electronic metal detector making sure one overlaps the coil on each sweep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Science has done many great things for mankind, but because it concerns itself with the physical world, it limits itself. Science has not been able to duplicate the impression, the hunch, the feeling, and the intuition facilities we all have about things we can not see in double blinded tests. Yet these invisible things are real. Heaven help the man who questions his wife's feeling or hunch that something is wrong at home and she ends up being right. She would probably rip his knot head off. And so it is with dowsing that fails in the double blinded test while finding things in the field. It works for me. Why does it not work for you skeptic? Stay tuned, I just might have a dowsing find picture to post later today.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... because it concerns itself with the physical world, it limits itself......

Les, if you chalk it up to metaphysical, This is a totally understandable explanation. In which case, yes, science is not the right yard-stick to measure such things. It would be like trying to weigh a chicken with a yardstick. Wrong tool for the wrong job. I get this. I totally get this.

But the problem is: Then you have a totally different set of problems :( You will get dissenters, from your own ranks, and all-sorts of other ranks. Ie.: Then you have lumped yourself into a realm of mystical, supernatural, etc.... Are you willing to go there and be counted among that category ? Or are we back to "scientific" (albeit as yet unknown) ?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
But the problem is: Then you have a totally different set of problems
sad.gif
You will get dissenters, from your own ranks, and all-sorts of other ranks. Ie.: Then you have lumped yourself into a realm of mystical, supernatural, etc.... Are you willing to go there and be counted among that category ? Or are we back to "scientific" (albeit as yet unknown) ?

If you would not rely on definitions from the 1800,s you may learn something

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could not have picked a worse time of the year to want to show and tell about my dowsing finds. It will and should get much, much better when the weather warms up. Until then I will do what I can. But, the cool nights makes me sleep like a baby.

Some skeptics like to claim there is a problem dowsers have in our ranks with each other about how dowsing works, and that maybe we should be concerned. No so. In fact I dare say none of us really care, as our finds are what counts, not the theories. I have never been told I am doing it wrong and I have never told another dowser they are doing it wrong. Dowsing is done by L-rods, the pendulum, and body dowsing. No two are the same. It is only in the troubled and confused mind of the skeptic where the problem exists, and no where else. It comes about because they must have control over every tiny aspect of very question about everything and any thing they encounter, and that includes dowsing. There must be batteries, circuits, wires, diodes, crystals, coils etc before it can work So since there is not just one and only one answer to how dowsing works, to them it cannot work, must not work, will not work,and therefore, does not work. Well, they are wrong on all accounts, very wrong. Dowsing works in many different ways.

Skeptics then turn to the “Double Blinded test” which shows nothing more than dowsing will not work in such a setting. But at the same time and at the very moment, dowsing works in the field. Now if it did not work in both the test AND in the field, then the skeptics would have a case. But they do not. All they have is talk.

Their next move is about the forum subject: “Today's finds.” Now they really have us dowsers concerned. See all those nice posts of all kinds of goodies? WOW! Metal detectors rules the day, right? Believe it or not, and everyone here knows, just like the rest of us who use metal detectors, all those MD operators have dug up many more trash items than those nice goodies they are posting. They just leave out pictures of the trash is all. Hey skeptics, care to hazard a guess how many trash items they dug before they found those posted goodies and dared not post pictures of all the trash they found for fear of what someone might say?

Now to the picture of this cell phone and rusty nail. I found the phone a couple of years ago while using my Bounty Hunter metal detector. Right now you are thinking: “He found this when his detector beeped.” Not so. It is true I was using my MD at the time, but I first SAW this off to my right side while my coil was off to my left. Only a very small part of this phone was sticking out of the ground. Not knowing what it was, I placed my coil over it which confirmed a metal item. I retrieved it and kept it all this time.

Here is my point and change of dowsing technique: In the past, I posted that during my dowsing shots, I would not count as a hit or retrieve an object I first see sitting on top of the ground. Like first seeing part of this phone with my eyes while metal detecting with my MD, and before scanning it, I will now count as a dowsing hit, any and all items I first see laying on top the ground whether my rods cross over it or not. Why us dowser have accepted and counted an MD hit before a beep and not do the same while dowsing, baffles me. There is no rule that dowsers must stick with the ground right under the cross all the time. Professionals, especially those looking for sunken ships will search a suspected treasure area and cover miles in the process to eliminate each block. They even will search for years.

Could this attitude come from the intensive and negative brain washing peddled so eloquently by so called “expert skeptics”? That is just plain....never mind! I fell for it too but no more. From now on, all items I first see lying on top of the ground, and all my rod crossings that yield a buried target of any kind while in the dowsing mode, I WILL COUNT,retrieve, and post a picture of it / them. It would be absolutely awful to restrict ones self to a small area only to find out later that someone came along later and found the desired target just a few yards from where your dowsing L-Rod crossed.

As for the nail, it took me yesterday to locate it’s general spot, then today to find and retrieve it It was only a few feet away from my rod cross and after digging it up, I almost missed it as it looked like a bent twig.

If dowsing does not work, none of this should not have happened, even with a rusty nail, but it did.

Enjoy my today’s dowsing find. More,many more to come I hope.

UP DATE: The pictures will have to wait as the computer and program I am on is not mine and it sucks. I will post them on Monday.

Last edited:

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not have picked a worse time of the year to want to show and tell about my dowsing finds. It will and should get much, much better when the weather warms up. Until then I will do what I can. But, the cool nights makes me sleep like a baby.

Some skeptics like to claim there is a problem dowsers have in our ranks with each other about how dowsing works, and that maybe we should be concerned. No so. In fact I dare say none of us really care, as our finds are what counts, not the theories. I have never been told I am doing it wrong and I have never told another dowser they are doing it wrong. Dowsing is done by L-rods, the pendulum, and body dowsing. No two are the same. It is only in the troubled and confused mind of the skeptic where the problem exists, and no where else. It comes about because they must have control over every tiny aspect of very question about everything and any thing they encounter, and that includes dowsing. There must be batteries, circuits, wires, diodes, crystals, coils etc before it can work So since there is not just one and only one answer to how dowsing works, to them it cannot work, must not work, will not work,and therefore, does not work. Well, they are wrong on all accounts, very wrong. Dowsing works in many different ways.

Skeptics then turn to the “Double Blinded test” which shows nothing more than dowsing will not work in such a setting. But at the same time and at the very moment, dowsing works in the field. Now if it did not work in both the test AND in the field, then the skeptics would have a case. But they do not. All they have is talk.

Their next move is about the forum subject: “Today's finds.” Now they really have us dowsers concerned. See all those nice posts of all kinds of goodies? WOW! Metal detectors rules the day, right? Believe it or not, and everyone here knows, just like the rest of us who use metal detectors, all those MD operators have dug up many more trash items than those nice goodies they are posting. They just leave out pictures of the trash is all. Hey skeptics, care to hazard a guess how many trash items they dug before they found those posted goodies and dared not post pictures of all the trash they found for fear of what someone might say?

Now to the picture of this cell phone and rusty nail. I found the phone a couple of years ago while using my Bounty Hunter metal detector. Right now you are thinking: “He found this when his detector beeped.” Not so. It is true I was using my MD at the time, but I first SAW this off to my right side while my coil was off to my left. Only a very small part of this phone was sticking out of the ground. Not knowing what it was, I placed my coil over it which confirmed a metal item. I retrieved it and kept it all this time.

Here is my point and change of dowsing technique: In the past, I posted that during my dowsing shots, I would not count as a hit or retrieve an object I first see sitting on top of the ground. Like first seeing part of this phone with my eyes while metal detecting with my MD, and before scanning it, I will now count as a dowsing hit, any and all items I first see laying on top the ground whether my rods cross over it or not. Why us dowser have accepted and counted an MD hit before a beep and not do the same while dowsing, baffles me. There is no rule that dowsers must stick with the ground right under the cross all the time. Professionals, especially those looking for sunken ships will search a suspected treasure area and cover miles in the process to eliminate each block. They even will search for years.

Could this attitude come from the intensive and negative brain washing peddled so eloquently by so called “expert skeptics”? That is just plain....never mind! I fell for it too but no more. From now on, all items I first see lying on top of the ground, and all my rod crossings that yield a buried target of any kind while in the dowsing mode, I WILL COUNT,retrieve, and post a picture of it / them. It would be absolutely awful to restrict ones self to a small area only to find out later that someone came along later and found the desired target just a few yards from where your dowsing L-Rod crossed.

As for the nail, it took me yesterday to locate it’s general spot, then today to find and retrieve it It was only a few feet away from my rod cross and after digging it up, I almost missed it as it looked like a bent twig.

If dowsing does not work, none of this should not have happened, even with a rusty nail, but it did.

Enjoy my today’s dowsing find. More,many more to come I hope.

UP DATE: The pictures will have to wait as the computer and program I am on is not mine and it sucks. I will post them on Monday.

Les, when my brother and I was detecting an old housing project that housed soldiers and sailors near Brookley Field, we found many good silver coins, BUT, one day we decided to count pennies before dimes and the pennies ran from 15-30
before a silver would show up. Plus, that was in the 70's and 80's and discrimination was not so good as it is today and pure trash targets could fool us and the detector many times. Lotta fun though. Almost as much fun as dowsing.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

albeit as yet unknown
Albeit
Meaning and Usage. Albeit is a conjunction that means "even though" or "although." It can sometimes be used instead of although, even though, or even if. Albeit can never be used to introduce an independent clause, unlike although

Thank you Tom...Les is enjoying his hobby

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I am having fun, lots of it. To make it even more so, I am going to start practicing long range dowsing shots and posting pictures of finds, including even junk things I find, and distance shot figures. Remember, in my last post, I said I am going to start counting as a hit / s, anything I see lying on the surface, not just what is buried that I have to dig. BTW, about the same time I took on the tennis ball toss against my dowsing shot challenge, I started tracking the distance from the spot directly under my rod cross. I call that spot "ground zero." I want to make it very clear that l am not bragging here, but my results were ON AVERAGE, 1.2 feet, with my longest distance then was 30 yards. It might have been longer, but I was interested in the area of a small soft ball diamond. But, a year or so ago, while going through the mountains, I stopped on a certain road edge and dowsed down into a area ravine to see if I would find a hit. To my surprise, I did. I went down into the area my rods pointed to. There, unseen from the road above and lying at the bottom, lying partly covered over with brush was a ...... Oh no you don't. No it was not a car or truck. Get those out of your head right now. I'll tell you what this unseen thing was after I get it identified accurately, and the distance my shot was. Art knows as I already told him. So, as for you my skeptic friends, you will have to wait. So don't go away, stay tuned. Things could get real interesting as we go along here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the picture I referred to in my post #168 above. The weather today is cold and windy. Maybe I will have a picture of another dowsing find tomorrow to show and tell. Enjoy.

Attachments

• S5303742.JPG
    S5303742.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 70

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Les. You have to always consider the fact that different objects will can be detected at a different distance. You have to determine these distances. I can find a Silver Dime at 60 paces, 1/4 oz of gold at a little under 1/4 mile and 1/2 oz. nugget at 3/4 miles...

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Les. You have to always consider the fact that different objects will can be detected at a different distance. You have to determine these distances. I can find a Silver Dime at 60 paces, 1/4 oz of gold at a little under 1/4 mile and 1/2 oz. nugget at 3/4 miles...
At this time I don't know what my distances will be, so I will have to do it, then go from there. All I know is what happened in the past.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I found a forest service airfield that was not being used. I put the targets one at a time along side of the asphalt. I would keep checking until I received a signal then check my mileage when I went to pick it up. Another way is put the gold in a pick up. Have someone drive away and stop when you loss the signal. Fun is always a decider

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to:. Dowsing my 100th Silver Coin of the Year - YouTube
YouTube › watch

I watched it and I'm curious why dowsers would point to this video for skeptics. I have some thoughts but I want to hear from the dowsers first.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... dowsing works in the field. ......

This is a very clear-cut statement. Attested to by all your finds. Ok. Yet you turn right around in the next breath and say :

.... Skeptics then turn to the “Double Blinded test” which shows nothing more than dowsing will not work in such a setting.......

Huh ? Uh .... does it work in the field ? Or doesn't it ? :dontknow:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Talk, talk and more excuses. I will just keep finding gold and let Tom talk about a subject he knows nothing about..Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I will just keep finding gold and let ...

And no doubt you're finding gold. It's just a shame these claims and finds can never be subjected to testing. Other than the subjective tests of the anecdotal stories. Which, yes, are quite compelling.

Kind of hard to argue with a picture of a dude posing next to a jar of coins he found, eh ? But when it comes time to test it , to make sure it's not explainable by other more-plausible explanations : Never seems to happen. And yes, like invisible leprechauns, there's a myriad of bullet-proof reasons why these tests will never happen (or were rigged, unfair, etc...) Sure I get it. Hence: All we have is the anecdotal stories of the gold, .22 shells, wires, etc.... :(

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk, talk and more excuses. I will just keep finding gold and let Tom talk about a subject he knows nothing about..Art
Well said Art. It makes one sick to read their posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread