tattoo detector

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I've never heard of such a thing... is it reading anything else? Seriously? Or...

Is the tattoo of a heavy metal band?

Metallica?
Iron Maiden?
Clockwork?
Iron Butterfly?
Tool?
Chrome Shift?
Hammers of Misfortune?

:)

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
Montana, how do you do it? Do these things just come natural,if so you should have your own comedy show?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Thanks chefman... It just comes to me.

Seriously though - I do want to remind you I am not a doctor, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

Check this out!

This article on Tattoo Ink Chemistry... The breakdowns are pretty interesting: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm

And this question and answer from the below listed site:

Q. Can a Tattoo React with Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)?

A. Yes, there is medical evidence that a tattoo can cause a reaction during magnetic resonance imaging (an MRI). The tattoo inks expected to cause a reaction are those containing iron oxide (some black, brown, red, flesh, yellow, orange). Not all dyes of these colors contain iron oxide. Also, some dyes of other colors may contain lesser quantities of magnetic metal.

Source: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/f/bltattoomri.htm

Montana Jim's humble conclusion: After Googleing "Magnetic Resonance Imaging metal detector" I think It could happen! Lets get this on MythBusters!

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
:o Yes there are different types of Oxides in certain colors of Ink I thought everyone had probably the episode of Mythbusters where they check to see if a MRI machine can make a tattoo explode!!!!

P.S.
No they won't!!!!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
birdy1976 said:
:o Yes there are different types of Oxides in certain colors of Ink I thought everyone had probably the episode of Mythbusters where they check to see if a MRI machine can make a tattoo explode!!!!

P.S.
No they won't!!!!

Hello birdy! Welcome to treasurenet! :)

I don't think she wants to know if there is a danger from an MRI machine... just if a MD can detect a tattoo. Looks like there is a definate maybe that it might be probable - or not. But maybe?

Mostly I just learned a lot from reading those sites, I still have no idea if the detector can read tattoos.

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
T

TreasureTales

Montana Jim said:
I've never heard of such a thing... is it reading anything else? Seriously? Or...

Is the tattoo of a heavy metal band?

Metallica?
Iron Maiden?
Clockwork?
Iron Butterfly?
Tool?
Chrome Shift?
Hammers of Misfortune?

:)

;D ;D ;D ROFL

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
No- I'm serious... Boyfriend has "sleeve" - it was causing the detecter to go crazy every time he put his arm in the hole lookin' for our 'prize'- which was driving us crazy- finally he said 'wait a minute' & scanned just his arm- there is no metal pins or anything in his arms or body... then we tried his other tattoos...it went off... then we tried his friends' tattoos-it went off... didn't go off on other areas where there was no tattoos...
We can only conclude there's some sort of metal in ink...these tattoos were done by differant people with differant kinds of ink at differant times. The tattoos were of many differant things! lol

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
fantum said:
No- I'm serious... Boyfriend has "sleeve" - it was causing the detecter to go crazy every time he put his arm in the hole lookin' for our 'prize'- which was driving us crazy- finally he said 'wait a minute' & scanned just his arm- there is no metal pins or anything in his arms or body... then we tried his other tattoos...it went off... then we tried his friends' tattoos-it went off... didn't go off on other areas where there was no tattoos...
We can only conclude there's some sort of metal in ink...these tattoos were done by differant people with differant kinds of ink at differant times. The tattoos were of many differant things! lol

Seriously... go back up and read my posts, read the sites I posted...

I know I was playin'... but I found some interesting stuff... and the bottom line is if it detects the tattoo... it detects the tattoo!

dobie

Feb 12, 2006
corry, pa
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, bounty hunter scout
i had to try ;D, my tats didn't sound off an alarm >:( >:(, but the titanium plate in my neck sure makes my detector go crazy ;D :D ;D ;)

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I went to the links & read them- your links are always so helpful...it explains why the detector is going off on the tattoos. Thanks

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Found the link M.J. supplied quite interesting, especially the making of red coloring. Iron Oxide. That's rust to most of us and I've detected lots of that. Mostly though the use of Cinnabar. Cinnabar is the ore that Mercury is extracted from. Could that be good injected into your skin?

Starbuck

Dec 16, 2006
Browns Summit NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I saw a shoe om discovery health a while back that was discussing the possible long term effects of the metals used in the ink for tattoos as well as MRI interference. I couldn't find anything on upcoming shows but, I will keep looking and update if I see anything. - Starbuck

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Well, now the neighbors KNOW I'm crazy. I read your post, and went straight to the front yard to scan my tattoo. Its on my back by my left shoulder. It is of good size, and most hard to reach with the MD. It did register in the iron/foil range on the MD about every other pass over it for some reason. So maybe you can MD a tattoo. You learn something new every day round here!

Shanko

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
If your really interested... read the link in my first few posts...

It's Iron Oxide in some inks... Magnetic Metal in other inks...

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
;D ;D ;D ;D
Alien implant?
Big brother is watching us all and you discovered their secret?
X files stuff.
Twilight Zone. We control the horizontal, we control the vertical.....

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
If your really interested... read the link in my first few posts...

It's Iron Oxide in some inks... Magnetic Metal in other inks...
those are some good links ...... I'm glad I never got a tattoo ..... If I ever did - it would be on the bottom of my foot - so nobody would see it !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread