OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will first i got the TEK G2 3/22/12 and used it for 1 season up here in N.Y. season is over around Dec.1st. So i thought i`d trade detectors and i did.
I traded The TEK G2 on 1/6/13 for an TEK Omega 8000...BUT i kept the 11"DD coil to use on the TEK Omega because i thought it would work on the Omega.
The 11"DD coil worked on the G2 so I put the 11"DD coil on the Omega today to do some tests/ it goes nuts/overloads and sounds like a fire alarm will not work at, all inside or out.
I have been testing with the stock 10" coil and the 5" DD coil and they work fine.
So does anyone have a ideas on what is up with this coil.
Thanks Gary

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like it doesn't work!!! Dave J. may be able to provide a technical answer. Regards, Bill

MagSlider

Dec 4, 2012
KC Area, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 11DD; Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned my Omega now a little over month (Thanks Bart)... and have used it for around 12 hours, so I'm still figuring it out. Today, went out for 4 hours and found more coins (91 cents worth) than trash for the first time. Also, I usually detect with my brother who uses an Ace 250... and usually compare how the two compare on "hits". Generally, they are the same.

When I first started using it... I would get frustrated with finding nothing but trash. I think I went through my first 5-6 hours of searching before I found my first coin. After today... I feel like I am better at choosing when to dig and when to not.

At this point, I have the following gripes and they are on my short list to research:
1. When I hit a large piece of iron (ie, 3"x4" iron slab), the Omega will not tid iron, but around quarter (tid 95-99)
2 In some locations, I can only get to 35-45 sensitivity. In some of these locations, there are overhead wires... but at 75-100 yards away, I wouldn't expect any EMI interference from them. I've been in only 1 location that I could run the machine over 90. Considering installing EMI clamp filter.

Overall, I like the Omega. Would love to hear from others using the Omega...

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Magslider
I havent had my Omega out hunting yet to cold and frozen, but on the G2 if you got a good sounding hit high tone if you slowly pulled the coil to you as you sweep as you come to the edge of an iron target you would get the low iron grunt and the #s would drop....but if it was a non ferrous target or coin there would be no iron grunt and the #s would stay the same.....i think the Omega would work the same way in tones d2,d3,and d4....it also helped ID those pesky steel bottle caps... Try it and let me know .
Gary

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 11"DD coil is at the First Texas factory getting looked over and hopefully fixed
I had the Omega with the 5"DD coil outside for some air tests and that little baby realy cooks.... ground is frozen so no digging yet.
Gary

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a omega for bout a year and loved it.it had great depth and was very accurate on target id

MagSlider

Dec 4, 2012
KC Area, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 11DD; Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GAP,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I understand what you are talking about... I usually do the typical X pattern over the target, etc... but I usually run with Disc on 16 (cut out low iron) and I'm thinking that this is part of my issue. I also use d3 most of the time and if I'm in a park, I'll sometimes notch foil out.

Still a lot to learn... one of which is patience while actually detecting.

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a hold of Felix at First Texas today and they are sending me a new coil ships out tomorrow.
Gary

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a new Teknetics 11" DD coil from First Texas this morning.
The 11"DD coil from the G2 was bad,was never happy with the G2....no wounder.
Just hope the Omega works better than the G2.
Two weeks from N.Y. to Texas,and back and new coil, not bad.Now come on warm weather i`m ready
Gary

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a new Teknetics 11" DD coil from First Texas this morning.
The 11"DD coil from the G2 was bad,was never happy with the G2....no wounder.
Just hope the Omega works better than the G2.
Two weeks from N.Y. to Texas,and back and new coil, not bad.Now come on warm weather i`m ready
Gary

I used the g2 and it was a good machine but I really enjoyed the omega a lot more

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned my Omega now a little over month (Thanks Bart)... and have used it for around 12 hours, so I'm still figuring it out. Today, went out for 4 hours and found more coins (91 cents worth) than trash for the first time. Also, I usually detect with my brother who uses an Ace 250... and usually compare how the two compare on "hits". Generally, they are the same.

When I first started using it... I would get frustrated with finding nothing but trash. I think I went through my first 5-6 hours of searching before I found my first coin. After today... I feel like I am better at choosing when to dig and when to not.

At this point, I have the following gripes and they are on my short list to research:
1. When I hit a large piece of iron (ie, 3"x4" iron slab), the Omega will not tid iron, but around quarter (tid 95-99)
2 In some locations, I can only get to 35-45 sensitivity. In some of these locations, there are overhead wires... but at 75-100 yards away, I wouldn't expect any EMI interference from them. I've been in only 1 location that I could run the machine over 90. Considering installing EMI clamp filter.

Overall, I like the Omega. Would love to hear from others using the Omega...

The Fisher F5 has the ability to notch out 1 more higher than a quarter which is the 50 cent pieces, some says this gets rid of large pieces of iron like that.

Mike Hillis Compare of the Two detectors:

Comparing the F5 and the Omega 8000:

The Omegas physical rod/housing design is better than the F5. Its lighter, slimmer and better balanced and pistol grip handles are nice. Using a single 9v battery was a smart move as no springs to deal with and weigh in is less than 4 AAs. Im curious as to how much empty space is inside the F5 housing. Im not a big fan of the F5 coil connector style but will admit that I havent had any issues with it on the F5 like I did with the F2. The upper rod is longer on the Omega which meant that I didnt have to move the armrest back. Moving the armrest on the F5 was a pain because it involved removing the tubing end plug which took a great deal of time as it was glued in pretty well. The F5 armrest cannot be reassembled around that end plug.

The headphone connections are on the side of the Omega's housing. However the Omega has a external plug design on the ¼ plug that should prevent the issue the Xterra machines had. It was common on the early Xterras for the headphone plug to short out the machine electronics because there wasnt enough space inside to accommodate the plug length. Having both the ¼ plug and the 1/8 plug is a good thing. In the summer it is common to go to a open ear phone and most of them use a 1/8 plug. Having the two diffferent plug sizes means no adapters. I will state that I prefer the headphone connection to be back at the armrest. It makes my headphone cords last longer and I route an small extension cord to the rear of the armrest so that I can plug in there.

Coil design Ive always been a big fan of elliptical concentric over round concentric. Ill never own a round concentric coil for the F5 or Omega. So the stock coil design was a winner for me from the get go.

Well, thats the easy part, now lets talk about user interfaces. Which also involves some feature discussions. The easiest place to start is the displays. Both the machines feature a large comprehensive display:

Both machines have a battery graph and FE304 graph, the only difference being the layout style.

On both machines, a target signal displays a target id number, a conductivity block, and a type of confidence bar graph. On the F5 all three of these will stay displayed until a new signal is received. On the Omega, all three will disappear after 5 seconds.

Both machines will display a two digit target id number. On the F5 this number will stay displayed until a new signal is received which generates a new target id number. I find this handy both for bench testing and in the field as that number will stay there until you turn the machine off if a new signal isnt received. The Omegas Target id number will disappear after 5 seconds.

The F5 has a 5 segment Confidence bar. It measures the signals clarity. I pay more attention to this when hunting in dry mineralized ground as I find it helpful when trying to id deeper targets that dont lock on and you result to just trying to id peak signal strength readings. The Omega has no confidence graph.

The Omega has a Signal graph bar that measures the target signal strength and is used as a running depth meter. It is 7 segments. This is always a handy feature to have. I can only reproduce this audibly on the F5 by using a variable (VCO) audio mode. I like having both the visible and audibly signal strength information the Omega gives. (graph and a VCO tone mode working together).

The F5s conductive category display is divided into the standard 8 segments; Iron, foil, nickel, tab, zinc, dime, qtr, 50c. , and the category target id number range is displayed at the top of the segment. Most of the time the focus of the operator is on the target id number itself, but when the numbers jump around its easier to see what is taking place by looking at the segment display.

The Omega conductive category display is also divided into 8 segments, but they are iron, foil, nickel, tab, s-cap, zinc, dime, qtr. No id range is displayed with them. Im curious to see if the resolution is present to make use of the s-cap range. I know the F5s resolution from the high end of the tab range and up is incredible. Ill have to follow up with this to see.

Both machines display a current ground balance setting. The F5 displays it in the lower left, the Omega displays it in the lower right.

Both machines display a ground phase readout. The F5 displays the ground phase as a two digit number. The Phase readout on the F5 is a constantly changing number which I find to convey a lot of information even when its seemingly moving aimlessly around. It changes every second and can measure both conductivity as well as ground phase. When measuring conductivity, the range is 01 to 50. When the coil is pumped over the ground it ceases its aimless display and locks in on a number. That number is then compared to the ground setting number to see if changes need to be made in the ground balance. The Omegas ground phase display is a bar graph. When pumped over the ground it displays a series of bars above or below a center line that gives a visual indication of how far off the current ground setting is from the ground phase. I find that I like the Omegas display as it give an easy to relate to visual indication. However it is not as accurate as the F5s number system and cannot display conductivity. It took 60 clicks (6 number changes) to move away from a fast grab neutral ground balance to a point to where the first small graph indicator displays. I find a 6 number difference to be a considerable amount of error in my ground conditions. The Omega considers a 6 number difference to only be a very slight error. My take away from that is never to let the Omega get any worse than the smallest graph and adjust as soon as I see it. The audio confirmation in AT mode also confirms that 6 numbers is a significant change for me. It may be that in milder ground, 6 number changes is no big deal. Also, the Omega gave a very wide neutral range as compared to the tight neutral range of the F5. In ground where ground balances are critical I would chose the F5 over the Omega every time. This is big deal to me. I feel like it needs a switch for hot ground to activate a tighter tolerance ground tuning. The saving grace of the Omegas ground phase graph is that its active as you sweep. You dont have to remember to stop and pump the coil ever so often though you should to get a more accurate reading.

Control comparison

The F5 has a combination of 4 rotary dials and 5 push pads. I like this particular combination although space is tight. The features with the most variable ranges are controlled by the rotary dials and the rest are controlled with the push pads. Where a need for a switch exists, these are incorporated into the rotary dial. The Omegas controls are designed around this same premise with the exception of the ground grab adjustments. The Omega uses two rotary dials and seven tactile push pads. Unlike the F5, the Omega has no sense of the controls being cramped together. Both units arrange 4 controls on each side of a centered pinpoint touch pad. The Omegas tactile push pads give a good stiff click when operated along with a confirmation beep each time they are used. Both units display the control on the LCD when its adjusted. Neither unit has a memory. The only settings that are saved are the settings of the rotary dials.

F5________________________________ Omega_____________________
Discrimination....- rotary dial-------------------Discrimination.................. rotary dial
Gain...................-rotary dial-------------------Sensitivity........................ rotary dial
Threshold............-rotary dial-------------------
Tones..................-push pad-------------------Tones.............................. push pad
Freq....................-push pad-------------------Freq................................ push pad
Notch..................-push pad-------------------Notch.............................. push pad
Phase Lock.........-push pad-------------------Gnd Grab......................... push pad
Pin Point.............-push pad-------------------Pin Point.......................... push pad
Grn Bal...............-rotary dial------------------Gnd Grab adjust up........... push pad
..................................................................Gnd Grab adjust down....... push pad

The F5 uses two separate controls to adjust the detector sensitivity to targets. The first one is called the Gain control. Its a rotary dial with 20 adjustment points with a range of 5 through 99, changing in increments of 5. The Gain control increases or decreases the size of the signals. It is very linear in effect and affects all signals, including ground signals. The second control the F5 uses to adjust sensitivity is the Threshold control. It s a rotary dial with 19 adjustment points with a range of -9 though +9, zero inclusive. In Disc mode the threshold operates two different ways based upon the setting. The best way I can explain it is that settings from -9 to 0 raise or lower a trigger point or threshold level that a signal needs to overcome. As the Threshold is moved toward -9 the trigger point is raised and requires a greater signal strength to overcome. As the Threshold is moved toward 0, the trigger point is lowered and less signal strength is needed to overcome the trigger point. Raising the Threshold control above 0 toward +9 increases the audio level for the weaker signals. I really , really like the interaction between these two features as the control it gives is unmatched. Every site location has a optimum setting for a particular detector and the Gain/Threshold combination of the F5 makes it easy to obtained it as there are multiple combinations to reach the same results. Bench testing these two controls is a must to understanding how these two features interact. Also the all metal Auto Tune mode has independent gain and threshold controls. In AT, the gain affects the sensitivity and the threshold affects the hum level like you would expect them to.

The Omega manual states that the Sensitivity control combines the Gain and threshold controls into one rotary dial. There is no independent threshold control on the Omega. The Gain settings are located in the range of 1 through 70 and settings above 70 through 99 activate the threshold settings. The threshold range of the Sensitivity setting increases the audio output making the weaker signals easier louder and easier to hear much like the +1 through +9 Threshold settings on the F5. This has its pluses and minuses. For one thing, the gain setting has a finer adjustment range and the high gain settings are very sensitive. If you can get this high in the field, moving up into the threshold range will give you an increased audio output on the weaker signals. The bad thing is that not only are all signals multiplied by the high gain settings to get here in the first place, they are also made louder by the threshold feature. The stability enjoyed by the F5 combinations are not available on the Omega. It is still as sensitive, just not as adaptable. Stop and think about this. Before I can use the threshold feature of the Sensitivity control I have to max out the Gain setting. There is no flexibility. I only have a on or off arrangement. The added benefits of the threshold are only available if I can max out the gain. Second, I can only increase the threshold settings. I cant decrease them. Additionally, there is no sensitivity control for the all metal auto tune mode on the Omega. In the all metal mode, The sensitivity control now becomes a Threshold control. Raising the sensitivity settings increase the audio volume of the threshold hum, high sensitivity setting = very loud hum.

The F5 discrimination range is pretty much evenly divided throughout the conductive range except for a slightly expanded tab range. The Omega has nearly half of the available discrimination devoted to the iron range, includes an expanded foil range (compared to the other segments) and a new s-cap range. The remaining segments are rather tight.

F5 disc range_________________________________Omega disc range___________________
Iron has 15 points, 1-15,---notch-able........................Iron has 40 points, 1-40,---notch-able
Foil has 10 points, 16 25,---notch-able....................Foil has 15 points, 41 55,---notch-able
Nickel has 10 points, 26 35,---notch-able................Nickel has 5 points, 55 60,---notch-able
Tab has 20 points, 36 55,---notch-able....................Tab has 5 points, 61 65,---notch-able
Zinc has 10 points, 56 65,---notch-able...................S-Cap has 10 points, 66 75,---notch-able
Dime has 10 points, 66 75......................................Zinc has 5 points, 76 -80,---notch-able
Quarter has 10 points, 76 85..................................Dime has 4 points, 81 - 84
50c + has 15 points, 86 99,---notch-able.................Quarter + range has 14 points, 85 - 99

The expanded iron range of the Omega needed to be tested out so I used a couple of objects to compare. A bobbie pin is a common ferrous item found on athletic fields. The Omega showed it as a 39 and the F5 showed it as 10. The Omega showed a three inch heavily oxidized nail parallel to coil as a 39 and at 90 degrees bounced from 20 to 30. The F5 showed a 8 and 9. The Omega showed a metal wire key ring as a 26 while the F5 showed a 9. Im not content with this limited test so Ive got more testing to do around this and will follow up later.

The Omegas 15 point spread in the Foil segment is curious as it does not have the resolution to really make use of it. Both the F5 and Omega cant tell the difference very well between a nickel and a modern tab so Im not sure what the purpose of this expanded range is.ferrous/non-ferrous averaging perhaps???? Another follow up.

The Nickel range on the F5 is really more like a gold target range and the 4 tone audio mode assigns this segment its own tone which really stands out. The Omega has the same feature, main difference being that the range is halved.

The Tab segment has an expanded range on the F5 and this is good. For one thing, when the trash gets so bad that its unbearable, activating one notch usually clears it up pretty good. A lot of trash falls into this segment. Second is that the F5s target resolution ability starts to increase in about the middle of this range. The same ability that allows a zinc cent to have a different target id number (60) from a gaming token (64) is working by this time. Tab range coins can now start to be identified with a better resolution from the alum trash. From this point forward the target id number resolution just gets better and better. The Omegas tab segment is very tight and Im not sure yet how much would carry over into the S-cap range. More follow up to do here.

At first look the S-cap segment of the Omega looks like it was designed for alum screw caps, but it seems designed specifically for steel crown style bottle caps. My limited time on the ground showed that many of the steel bottle caps fall in this range while many of the alum screw caps still fall in the zinc range. I dont quite know how this was done but I like it. Need to spend more time with it and see just what all does commonly fit in this range. I do expect the excellent target id resolution of the F5 to be mimicked in the Omega from this point forward. More time on the ground will validate if this is true or not.

Zinc range is the normal zinc range. The F5 has a larger range to accommodate more of the typical trash that falls in this area. The Omega has only half these range. I expect to see more alum screw caps fall in the S-cap but like I stated above, they still landed in the zinc segement.

High coins are high coins on both units. Main difference about the two here is that the Omega has lumped everything from Quarter and above into one range. Bad thing is that iron false is likely to flood this segment in some sites. The F5 allows a 10 number range segment for quarters and then adds an additional 50c range that will capture most iron falses along with a way to kill the audio (see Notch below) More follow up to do here to see if this is a true.

Bottom Line - The F5 has normal discrimination resolution in the lower conductive categories but incredible resolution in the upper mid to high categories. Not many units can tell you the difference between a copper penny and a dime but the F5 can. I dont have enough time on the ground yet to tell if the Omega has the same ability but I hope it does. Due to the Omegas tight discrimination spread it may be easier to use the conductive segment display on the LCD for target id purposes and indeed the LCD layout seems to be designed just for that as the segment indicators are large and visually focusing.

Both units have a Notch push pad control and six available notches. You can notch out or notch in based upon discrimination settings. The notch is easy to use and easy to see on the LCD. The main difference is that the F5 has the ability to notch out the 50c conductive segment. I like this feature as often times hunting around sites with a lot of oxidizing iron and steel, particularly pieces of tin sheeting around old adobe house sites can drive you nuts with the high tone false. Being able to notch out this segment makes it much easier to detect in these conditions. The Omega doesnt have this ability and I suspect that it will still false with no remedy. Need to use it more on the ground though to tell for sure. The use of the notch is the same on both units, press the notch button and the segment starts blinking, if you press it again it will move to the next segment. If you dont press it again, the segment will stop blinking after a moment and will notch out or in based on the disc setting.

Tone Id is a basic must have feature for me and I greatly love First Texas Products move to multiple tone id options that started with the T2. The F5s four options are very useful. The single variable tone is to signal strength like a multi-tone is to target conductivity and the two tone ferrous/non ferrous adds the dimension of ferrous identification. Both of these are excellent deep target audio modes that with a little imagination can mimic other features. For instance, surface blanking can sometimes be a useful feature in certain circumstances and that can be simulated by the squeal of surface targets. A running depth meter is a handy thing to have and you have an audio version of a running depth meter with these two tones modes. The VCO modes also allow an audio look at a target that a sampled beep doesnt give. The two remaining tone options are multi-tone modes that, for me, have the right pitches. I really like the way the high tone sings out on the coins and the tone frequency separation is just right. I was so glad that the nickel gold range had its own pitch and wasnt included in with the high tone as I hated the other multi-tone modes that included the nickel range targets as a high tone. Bottom line the tone options fit the discrimination design of the F5.

The Omega has the same tone options as the F5, but I dont think they fit as well because of the way the discrimination is segmented. The expanded range of the iron disc mimics the expanded range of the T2 and a monotone works better when working with disc deep down into the iron range. The tone options are still great tone options to have but the tone options do not fit the discrimination design of the Omega as well as they could.

Frequency shift is identical on both the F5 and Omega and consists of three choices. I find it to be simple and functional. It works and Im glad its there as I use it more than I thought I would. I dont know which one is above nominal and which one is below nominal. I do know that I can have both the F5 and Omega side by side on the table with both on and one or the other or both will go nuts with a overload and using the freq shift will calm them right down.

Both the F5 and Omega use a push pad to operate the pinpoint function. Both give a target depth reading to a maximum of 10 Neither one allows a sensitivity adjustment for pinpoint. The pad on the Omega seems to work a bit better than the F5. On the F5 I sometimes push the pinpoint button and get no response. I then have to release it and press and hold it again. The tactile push pads on the Omega seem to work better. At this time anyway. Both units allow you to detune the target for tighter pinpoint.

I described the ground balance a little bit further up in the report, but Ill go over it some more. First off, both units make ground balancing a non-event. It is easy to do and easy to verify and both units make it easy to visually track your balance so you know when you are off.

The F5 allows both automatic push button ground balance method as well as a manual method. There are two displays on the LCD, one being the current ground setting and one being the ground phase number. By pushing and holding the Phase Lock button and pumping the coil, you can watch the two numbers on the LCD display and when they match up simply let go of the Phase Lock button and you are ground balanced. As you hunt, ever so often pump the coil about three times and compare the two numbers on the display. If they are off, hit the Phase Lock button again and re-ground balance. You can also turn the Ground Balance dial and manual adjust the numbers to match, but without the audio confirmation of a threshold tone you cant get a true neutral this way so using the Phase Lock is the better method.

The F5s manual ground balance method is pretty straight forward too. Just click the Disc dial down into the Auto Tune mode and set your threshold so you have a slight humming sound. Then pump the coil and make adjustments with the ground balance dial until you get a neutral response. Then adjust for any offsets you might desire and youre off. The same visual indicators on the LCD are still there, but you have the added confirmation of the audio threshold tone. The dial also makes it real easy to hunt in the Auto Tune mode and keep a perfect ground balance at all times as the dial is easy to use. I would like to be able to hip mount the F5 for prospecting as I could then keep on hand ready on the ground balance dial for that constant balance that is so often required.

The Omega also allows both an automatic push button ground balance as well as a manual method. As described earlier in the report, the displays are different. You have a phase graph on one side and ground balance number on the other side of the display that you compare but the functions are the same. To automatically ground balance you pump the coil while pushing and holding the Ground Grab push pad. When the Phase bar graph has no segments displaying, release the Ground Grab pad and you are balanced. To manually ground balance, again you switch down in to the Auto Tune mode, set the sensitivity dial to where you get a slight hum and then use the Phase graph as a starting reference. If the bars on on top of the center line, use the bottom ground adjustment touch pad to change the settings until the tone evens out while pumping the coil. If the bars were below the center line, use the up ground adjustment touch pad to change the settings until the tone evens out while pumping the coil. As on the F5, you have both a visual and audio confirmation of the ground balance.

Both units have a large ground balance range and there are multiple setting points between numbers. The rotary dial on the F5 allows you to quickly run through large ranges quickly as well as the ability to slow down and do one click at a time. The Omega allows you to use the up and down pads to slew through large ranges very quickly or slow down and change one individual setting. Both units have 10 settings for every GB number. The F5 has the larger range and thus a bit finer adjustments. The one item I disliked about the Omegas ground balance adjustments is that each time you push the up or down pad, you also get a beep. When you slew the up or down pads, the beeps try to keep up so if you slew it 3 numbers you got to listen to 30 beeps. In AT mode thats a threshold tone you are trying to listen to plus beeps from the setting changes. I would prefer not to have that beep. If the Omega cannot ground balance it give a overload type signal that sounds like a Martian ray gun. I got in trouble with that as I had to chase my wife around the house a couple of times and shoot her with my new Omega ray gun

Overall I give Kudos to the designers of both machines for making the ground balancing activity a non-event. Reading the forums show many people have trouble ground balancing and by giving us both a visual indicator as well as the Threshold audio confirmation option, we shouldn't have any trouble with this activity while using the F5 or Omega. Of course they still need a decent manual to help them start. Speaking of manuals, the F5 manual was the worst manual I have every had to read through. Basically unacceptable. If you have a new manual for the F5 I would like to have it. Thankfully the Omegas manual doesnt contain the same mistakes. I would also recommend putting Daves, and Jorges articles in with the manuals. They both contain information that is helpful.

Well, the next step is to get more ground time with the Omega this coming Sunday morning. Ill follow up with that after this weekend.

HH
Mike

Last edited:

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has vastly more information than I was able to glean from the F5 manual. A while back I saw a post somewhere where sometbody had rewritten the F5 manual (or was it the post above? LOL). Can anybody please supply the link? My 6 week old F5 is doing great but I know there's a lot to learn still, particularly in the field of ground balancing and gain/threshold.

ctrelicman

Feb 21, 2013
eastern ct
Detector(s) used
mxt,omega 8000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just purchased a omega,but that's to much for me to read.ill go field test and them may read it.lol

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's have the condensed version...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread