TEN Copper Day!!! 7 Colonial and 3 Large Cents!!!!Best Coin Day Ever!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Well, I decided to take today off to go digging..it's my birthday.. and we hit the jackpot!! Dug 9 out of 10 of the coppers within 45 minutes of finding the spot! Slowed down and really pounded it for another 4 or 5 hours and got another colonial copper and a few more buttons. One dandy, 5 plain flats and one small cuff button with an eagle on it I have not identified yet. This is by far my best coin day in 20 years... Two of the coppers are a 1770 and 1780 George III and I am trying to clean the others to ID but some of them are pretty far gone. I'll post more picture after I clean and wax them..

I need to clearify.. "we" dug 10.. I found 8 and Pitdigger dug the others.. I didn't want to get credit for all Ten..
Just the 8 I dug!! ;-) I was a bit crazy there for a few minutes with a copper coming out every couple of minutes.. then it slowed down.. a day I will never forget!!
Thanks for looking..

I dry brushed them and hit them with a light coat of wax. The Georges are as I listed above, also the is what appears to be a 1797 Draped Bust but I can just make out the last part of the date and a 1818 Matron head. One of the other 4 has a little design that matches up with a 1773 Virginia Half Penny and two other are the same size and weigh as it.. the last is larger, about the same as the draped Bust but pretty much featureless.
MonkeyBoy

Attachments

• coins_2.jpg
    coins_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • coins_1.jpg
    coins_1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • coins_3.jpg
    coins_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,044
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
Are you sure on the 1780? If it happens to be the top left on the third picture... Don't do anything to it! If you have a 1780 counterfeit DON'T WAX IT!!!! If it's 1780 Irish than this is only a false alarm. :-X

Some of you guys are going to make me have a heart attack. :D

Ah make that a 1770 and 1788 sorry about the typo.. and a dry brush and alight coat of Renaissance wax was the way to go I thought??

MB

1788 George III? You gotta figure out potential rare coins before doing anything.

Wax is a matter of opinion but I would not use it on coins.

Yep... Geo III

MB

Are you sure it's 1788/ George III/ Britannia ? If so it has a shot to be very good. British would probably be very rare, Machin.. would have to check.

Yep, I'm pretty sure...
Obv: GEORGI III REX
Rev: BRITAN NIA

It does not look like my Machin Mills strikes but i will have to get the out and compare..

MD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
Are you sure on the 1780? If it happens to be the top left on the third picture... Don't do anything to it! If you have a 1780 counterfeit DON'T WAX IT!!!! If it's 1780 Irish than this is only a false alarm. :-X

Some of you guys are going to make me have a heart attack. :D

Ah make that a 1770 and 1788 sorry about the typo.. and a dry brush and alight coat of Renaissance wax was the way to go I thought??

MB

1788 George III? You gotta figure out potential rare coins before doing anything.

Wax is a matter of opinion but I would not use it on coins.

Yep... Geo III

MB

Are you sure it's 1788/ George III/ Britannia ? If so it has a shot to be very good. British would probably be very rare, Machin.. would have to check.

Yep, I'm pretty sure...
Obv: GEORGI III REX
Rev: BRITAN NIA

It does not look like my Machin Mills strikes but i will have to get the out and compare..

MD

Well if it's clearly 1788 you have a good one, just a matter of how good. British would be better than a common M. Mills, but a more rare MM would be what to hope for.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty dang impressive MonkeyBoy ! :icon_thumright: !! :thumbsup: !! :icon_thumleft: !

I've had a few days where we surpassed counts like that but those days are the rare of the rare

Congrats & happy Birthday

D.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Evolution said:
Outstanding day you had!!! :headbang: :headbang: Happy birthday indeed. :occasion13: If i found 10 coppers in one day I would get out the megaphone and tell the neighbors. :director: Congrats! :thumbsup:

What would 28 make you do? :D
You don't really count Iron Patch. :D You're a metal detecting super hero. :D :o Needless to say, 28 would make my day as well. :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Iron Patch said:
Evolution said:
Outstanding day you had!!! :headbang: :headbang: Happy birthday indeed. :occasion13: If i found 10 coppers in one day I would get out the megaphone and tell the neighbors. :director: Congrats! :thumbsup:

What would 28 make you do? :D
You don't really count Iron Patch. :D You're a metal detecting super hero. :D :o Needless to say, 28 would make my day as well. :notworthy:

I took the avatar shot that day :thumbsup: nothing close to 28 ever happened again!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is how you celebrate a Birthday !!!!

You guys had an amazing day !!!!

No such luck for me on my Birthday, it's in January so its a bit difficult to dig coppers...

Congrats on a great (birth)day !!!

Brian in MA

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible copper total! Here's hoping for the 1788 KGIII. Can you post a closer photo of the coin? (Both sides?)

Cheers,

Buck

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I amy have to hunt to my 100th birthday to get that many coppers....Wow...Nice job on the stellar finds. Must be a great place to search...Congrats....jgas

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome I could only wish for a day like that! Congrats on a awesome hunt!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Thanks everybody!! One heck of a birthday!! ;-)

MB

Mine is very soon and might just have to swing the coil a little! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Went back out to the same spot... spent another 1 1/2 hours therewith MonkeyBoy Jr.. the area we found all the coins and other buttons was about 30 by 50 or so feet... found one more flat button on edge pretty deep about 8"... not very many signals left...

MB

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's awesome man.

The dfx is a bad boy on large coppers. I have had b-day karma like that before. I found a cache on my b-day. That's a great site for sure man.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread