Tenn. Trio Hunt=Entrench. Hoes, Brass Spur, Bullets, & Scratch One From My Wish List

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tenn. Trio Hunt=Entrench. Hoes, Brass Spur, Bullets, & Scratch One From My Wish List

You have no doubt heard the expression “The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence”. Well, the grass was sure higher on the other side today. The Tenn. Trio met up for a short hunt in a U.S. CW camp this morning. Josh worked last night and he was missing sleep hunting 2 hours with us. He dug a nice entrenching hoe, harmonica reed parts, & what appeared to be a part from a clock. I have dug clock parts in large camps before as well.
Doug recovered most of a sturdy brass spur, entrenching hoe, & two .58 cal. 3 ringers. I hunted the tall grass & dug a .44 cal. New Army Colt pistol bullet, .58 cal. Minnie, part of a door or trunk latch (unsure) , & something from my wish list-an iron candle holder. These style holders were stuck into logs or stumps in camps to provide light.
We won’t relic hunt as much for a little while due to Tennessee Muzzleloader deer season opening Saturday (I’ll be deer hunting as well) . Be careful out there relic hunters. HH from the Trio!!

Check out our article in the Nov.-Dec. issue of American Digger Magazine concerning hunting the Williams Cleaner Camp.

Attachments

• DSCN1364.JPG
    DSCN1364.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • DSCN1365.JPG
    DSCN1365.JPG
    629.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN1366.JPG
    DSCN1366.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 15
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The iron relic is one side of an iron horse bit. It is mid 1800s. I dug the brass version to this one two years ago in LA. (side of the bit)
After you said that, I looked in Crouch's relic book. A very similar one was pictured with flat sides. It stated they were pre-CW & probably U.S. militia. Many were imported from England. Thanks BB & HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Q-
Thanks for the video and Dman's live dig. It's great to see the Trio back together again.
That must of been a happy camp since it had not one, but TWO ho's in it. :tongue3: Normally bigger would be better, but in the case of dirty ho's, I would of picked the small one. :laughing7:

That candle holder is a WAY cool find Q. Congrats to you and to Dman on that spur piece. :thumbsup:
Well done,
DUHg
Thanks MM. Maybe he can find the other leg in the late winter. I just knew you couldn't resist the "Hoe battle"-LOL HH, Q.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cross out & replace with your next wish list item & make sure you prevent any further rusting on that one. Congrats

That's Always Fun. LOL
but Def, Necessary . And Ethical as a duty to future Interests .

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Yall.
Dating & usage of such Hoe's is always subjective. IMO

Always like seeing yalls finds.

Davers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to come take a look at that pretty little candle holder Q,it's shape is exactly like the top of a silver candelabra I have here at the house. The two hoes are fun to find too,lol! I knew I had seen an object similar to the horse bit before,that's a pretty good afternoon of goodies you guys dug up. We went digging at a yard we had searched 25 years ago but my Minelab went crazy for some reason and wouldn't lock in on any signal. I'm thinking of trying out doing a factory setting reset. I did manage to dig one round ball today .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks PW. How many have you dug in the Cold Harbor area? I'm sure hut sites & rifle pits yield a few. HH, Q.

You flatter me, my friend! I've never dug one ANYWHERE! I have one in my collection that my Dad dug in the 60s. It had the candle still in it. That sounds like a fish story, so I'll try to get a pic next week and post it in this thread.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy......I really like that video and like that candle holder. They are few and far between, rare to dig. I'll bet that soldier that lost it was really upset when he realized that he had left it in his old camp. Always like seeing you guys dig a few bullets. Hope to see you boys in not too long.....I even miss DMan.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds Yall.
Dating & usage of such Hoe's is always subjective. IMO

Always like seeing yalls finds.

Davers
D, you are correct about whether they were just used in farming or really dug pits in a camp. I can't show you the site without giving it away but it's no place for a garden-LOL. Digging 2 hoes in 3 hours as well. We will never know for sure I guess. Earlier hunters left the iron signals & I'm glad they did. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to come take a look at that pretty little candle holder Q,it's shape is exactly like the top of a silver candelabra I have here at the house. The two hoes are fun to find too,lol! I knew I had seen an object similar to the horse bit before,that's a pretty good afternoon of goodies you guys dug up. We went digging at a yard we had searched 25 years ago but my Minelab went crazy for some reason and wouldn't lock in on any signal. I'm thinking of trying out doing a factory setting reset. I did manage to dig one round ball today .
Nancy, I've seen days that I would have loved to dig a Battle of Nashville lead ball. BTW, your C.S.A. buckle article in W & E Magazine goes out in December. HH to you & Steve, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You flatter me, my friend! I've never dug one ANYWHERE! I have one in my collection that my Dad dug in the 60s. It had the candle still in it. That sounds like a fish story, so I'll try to get a pic next week and post it in this thread.

My bet is that you will PW. I guess everyone thinks Tenn. is loaded with relics but most camps in our area were short term compared to VA. You'll get one Bud!! HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy......I really like that video and like that candle holder. They are few and far between, rare to dig. I'll bet that soldier that lost it was really upset when he realized that he had left it in his old camp. Always like seeing you guys dig a few bullets. Hope to see you boys in not too long.....I even miss DMan.
Missing Dman Donnie? I'll call 911-LOL. Looking forward to our first fall hunt together. HH, Q.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody runs those cows around to that side of the pasture and close the gate! We need more trio relics! The fall pictures are just beautiful, Q....and so are the relics! ;)
WTG ya'll!
Nana

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find. A very real CW soldier personal item. Glad you saved it!!!!!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks WW & Johnny (JPro)

Nana, I hope those cows are hungry too because the Trio is getting low on bullets. HH, Q.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to all 3 of you in the Trio for the very interesting article in AD. Still unbelievable how many relics the Cleaner Camp gave you all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread