All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think EVERYONE knows my relationship with Tesoro! :headbang: I did a lot of business with Vince Gifford before I retired my Gold Prospecting school in Arizona. The Tesoro Lobo Super Traq was our Official VLF gold nugget hunter, and I bought a ton of 'em. We gave away a lot of Tesoro machines as well in different contests. I have visited and toured the factory in Prescott many times, and been trained by my friend - and metal detecting legend, Rusty Henry. Yeah, I think everybody pretty much knows my history with Tesoro.

Attachments

• Rusty.JPG
    Rusty.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 147

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You call it bashing, I call it responding to grandiose claims. I wish that I had read more reviews both good and bad when I bought my vaquero. I won't have been so surprised.
What is good and bad about the Vaquero? I am thinking about purchasing one in May or April. I would like to hear all your opinions, good and bad.
#78, thanks dirtscratcher, I also do not like the 9 bolt batteries. I may change my mind. I require a detector that goes deep for single coins and for buried treasures in Connecticut.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no, not upsetting me at all! I am glad that you're being honest. You are a big clumsy guy that is a little slow on the uptake - hey, we get it. I just thank goodness I DO speak "Vaquero." :occasion14:

Insults are not allow here. Stop it or I will complain.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is good and bad about the Vaquero? I am thinking about purchasing one in May or April. I would like to hear al your opinions, good and bad.

bought one for my first detector after a lot of research. i believe it is a good machine, did not have a hard time with it. have hunted with others and a few club get together's. i have liked it. as far as comparing it with the more expensive one's, have realized that they dont find anything more, or less, than i do. know the disc is much better on it than an ace 350 or bounty hunter 505. i hunt with a few regularly with those, even though that bounty hunter with the larger coil he has on it is not bad depth wise with the vaq. we have used each others detectors for fun and i would choose that BH over the ace 350 any day. in my opinion, you would not go wrong getting one. i think this will be my last season using the vaquero only. not that i think it is bad. just want something more now and im eyeing the Xp deus for 2017. will have a chance to try one out this spring. so i will have a good tone machine and a good, if i like the deus, screened one. tesoros technology is good. but i believe they just do not have the people who have innovated and moved on as the other companies have.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a new Black Tejon on its way! I believe the Tejon is still one of the best relic machines out there in the VLF class. Even with all the "NEW & IMPROVED" machines out there.....i'll take a Tejon!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a new Black Tejon on its way! I believe the Tejon is still one of the best relic machines out there in the VLF class. Even with all the "NEW & IMPROVED" machines out there.....i'll take a Tejon!

I'm waiting for a red one.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for a red, white and blue detector that will dig up single coins and buried treasures without my help. dirtscratcher is my friend and a good writer.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already found a silver dime this evening and the Tejon hasnt arrived yet!

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting back to the original question, it would be the Deus for me. I like being able to run different frequencies when looking for different things. Each frequency has it's strong points and week points. I have 2 Tesoros. The thing I like least about them is there is no notch feature. If you want to hear a nickle you have to listen to pull tabs.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting back to the original question, it would be the Deus for me. I like being able to run different frequencies when looking for different things. Each frequency has it's strong points and week points. I have 2 Tesoros. The thing I like least about them is there is no notch feature. If you want to hear a nickle you have to listen to pull tabs.

The Tesoro Cortes is still made and it has two fixed notch settings. The Golden micro max is often for sale used and it has an adjustable notch feature.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Notch" is the best way to leave good stuff in the ground......If you are using notch, i assume you are a coin hunter....if so, a Minelab beats the Deus all day! The Deus is a relic machine with top notch seperation ability and good depth, but its TID is very limited for a coin machine. Coin hunters are the ones selling their Deus for a CTX and relic hunters are selling their CTX for a Deus....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would not call it hate. just some common sense observations from realistic people. why work on a number of new machines at once. claim they want to get it right. would it not be better to focus on getting one new machine right and release it, than a number of different ones? just stuff like that seems like excuses. yes, they are under an obligation now to release a new machine because they are the ones that said they were going to themselves. that makes it an obligation to do so as far as most people are concerned.

As previously stated NOBODY seemed to complain until TESORO started asking customers for input (name, features, etc...) for a new model they were planing to produce. I believe that was near the end of 2013. I think people are disillusioned after waiting over 2 years & seeing zero progress on a new machine. As far as features, I (like dirtscratcher) like to use low to zero disc. With one tone that is a nightmare, unless in the desert somewhere or a park where there is very little trash. I would never trust disc on a Vaquero (my main experience) because the amount of disc needed to drop out a rusty nail ends up near the dime range! Digging dime/quarter signals gave me more rusty junk than coins. I would rather hear all targets and trust my ears.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
As previously stated NOBODY seemed to complain until TESORO started asking customers for input (name, features, etc...) for a new model they were planing to produce. I believe that was near the end of 2013. I think people are disillusioned after waiting over 2 years & seeing zero progress on a new machine. As far as features, I (like dirtscratcher) like to use low to zero disc. With one tone that is a nightmare, unless in the desert somewhere or a park where there is very little trash. I would never trust disc on a Vaquero (my main experience) because the amount of disc needed to drop out a rusty nail ends up near the dime range! Digging dime/quarter signals gave me more rusty junk than coins. I would rather hear all targets and trust my ears.

I think hunting in some areas of a park with a one tone machine would be a nightmare too. But if you were searching an older home site, one tone with low disc is what you want ( to get the older nickels, indianheads, large cents, gold jewelry) One tone with low disc makes sense to me as well for the ball fields, if you set the disc to above a zinc, you could miss a nice larger gold ring, which is the point of searching a ball field in the first place.

For play areas at parks, areas where a lot of people are congregating, sitting, jumping, watching a game, etc... Well that is where I would want a machine with multi tones, like the golden umax. But even then, if you make the decision to ignore a tone signal or a TID reading because it is in the same range as zinc pennies or pull tabs, you COULD be ignoring gold. It seems to me that the Vaquero or Outlaw is a machine for the kind of guy who does not want to ignore ANY good signal, dig it all to get it all, but with a detector that has a great discriminator that will eliminate the trash you don't want to hear, that particular day for that particular setting. That's what is so nice about Tesoros, different machines for different settings, each having their own strength/weakness... But I think that's part of the fun of it. Tesoros are simple to use, with effective discriminators, and most of all affordable with a lifetime warranty.

I like the idea of using different machines for different settings/search areas. So for example, when I decide I want to try fresh water beach hunting, I am going to want a machine designed for this task, (not an all terrain detector set up)... Like the Tesoro Tiger Shark.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.... the amount of disc needed to drop out a rusty nail ends up near the dime range!....

Has ANYBODY, and I mean ANY other Tesoro Vaquero owner or user EVER found the above statement to be true? The Vaquero's discrimination is one of THE best on the market. C'mon Atomic, try and stay factual! :skullflag:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has ANYBODY, and I mean ANY other Tesoro Vaquero owner or user EVER found the above statement to be true? The Vaquero's discrimination is one of THE best on the market. C'mon Atomic, try and stay factual! :skullflag:
Not from my experiences with Vaquero or any Tesoro for that matter......actually, Tesoro's are known for their excellent Disc circuits! Rusty washers, horseshoes or cannonballs maybe.....but nobody is buying the rusty nail thing!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What good features does the Vaquero have that you like, and features you like on the so call new Tesoro detector? What are your complaints about the Vaquero? I change my mind about purchasing a Vaquero in April or May.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry your throwing me a floater. That's exactly what I meant in my review in earlier post. I learned the one tone. I couldn't trust the one tone. I was still digging so much rusty garbage. Nice rusty washer hitting just like a quarter. I've been saying this the past 3 years. You and tabman have said over and over how it the best disc and that blows me away. What POS are you comparing it to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions