Tesoro vaq or xp deus

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not from my experiences with Vaquero or any Tesoro for that matter......actually, Tesoro's are known for their excellent Disc circuits! Rusty washers, horseshoes or cannonballs maybe.....but nobody is buying the rusty nail thing!

now i have dug the larger, about 2 1/2-3 inch, bent rusty square and regular nails that disced out real high and nothing else was in the hole. so to say it discriminates nails is not always the case. have also dug quarter sized washers that an ace 350 read as iron yet buried the disc on my vaq. and sounded good. not that i would ever want a ace 350. but, just saying. i have found the vaq does not disc out all nails and smaller iron when it is set just below 5 cent mark. better than others, yes. but not all. yet, i have not had my picture taken with anyone that works at tesoro or anything like that so, i'm not a pro. but, i never claimed to be one either... haha. do have some good hours with using one though.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a CZ-3d that was a coin killer....it would hammer on deep silver dimes. But it would hammer on deep, rusty, bent square nails too....
If you search for deep signals...you will dig nails on occasion. If you don't like the performance of your Vaquero, get rid of it....

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is why I love the Omega. I can run it like a beep & dig & choose not to look at the display in single tone using the (accurate) disc to knock out most smaller nails if desired. I can use AM (one tone), D1 (one tone VCO), or D2 (2 tone VCO, iron is low tone non-ferrous is high tone) if hunting for relics, gold jewelry etc...and switch to 3 or 4 tone for coin/jewelry in parks, schools, etc... To each his own & I really did like the Vaq for nugget shooting in the desert (AM mode only, dig every target that zips) although I never found gold with it I found some small lead shot & that told me it works well enough. it seemed to run fairly stable with a small DD if you kept on top of the GB. As always, JMO. HH
I think hunting in some areas of a park with a one tone machine would be a nightmare too. But if you were searching an older home site, one tone with low disc is what you want ( to get the older nickels, indianheads, large cents, gold jewelry) One tone with low disc makes sense to me as well for the ball fields, if you set the disc to above a zinc, you could miss a nice larger gold ring, which is the point of searching a ball field in the first place.

For play areas at parks, areas where a lot of people are congregating, sitting, jumping, watching a game, etc... Well that is where I would want a machine with multi tones, like the golden umax. But even then, if you make the decision to ignore a tone signal or a TID reading because it is in the same range as zinc pennies or pull tabs, you COULD be ignoring gold. It seems to me that the Vaquero or Outlaw is a machine for the kind of guy who does not want to ignore ANY good signal, dig it all to get it all, but with a detector that has a great discriminator that will eliminate the trash you don't want to hear, that particular day for that particular setting. That's what is so nice about Tesoros, different machines for different settings, each having their own strength/weakness... But I think that's part of the fun of it. Tesoros are simple to use, with effective discriminators, and most of all affordable with a lifetime warranty.

I like the idea of using different machines for different settings/search areas. So for example, when I decide I want to try fresh water beach hunting, I am going to want a machine designed for this task, (not an all terrain detector set up)... Like the Tesoro Tiger Shark.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many hours hunting on my main three tesoros which includes a Vaquero in old homesteads dating back to the mid 1850s. The Vaquero with the 5.75 concentric is right up there with my Bandido 2 micromax for these types of sites. I have probably over 400 hours on the Deus in this same environment and can say with confidence that I wouldn't feel slighted in the least using my Vaquero over the Deus. If you cannot afford the Deus you will be very happy with the Vaquero.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I will admit that maybe I did not learn the Vaq (in disc mode) as well as I could, & I did find some pretty cool stuff with it, but I was always digging pieces of rusty iron that were anywhere near the size/shape of a coin, even with disc set higher than zinc. This was more pronounced the higher the sens was. It would lock on solid like a dime/quarter & I dig it but it's rusty iron. If I spent 1 year trying to learn the nuances of the single tone & could have spent that time digging more coins and learning the machine quicker, I would have chosen the latter. Only sharing my opinion/experience.
Has ANYBODY, and I mean ANY other Tesoro Vaquero owner or user EVER found the above statement to be true? The Vaquero's discrimination is one of THE best on the market. C'mon Atomic, try and stay factual! :skullflag:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His name Is Keith Southern and he is highly respected in the metal detecting industry....he receives/test new machines before the general public. But I'm sure if you give him a call he could learn a thing or two from you.....

He's the same guy that made the video showing the vaquero being better than like 4 more expensive detectors. You remember the one with the atpro in standard mode. I put 0 faith in the mail board test.
Here's one for you.https://youtu.be/gYM7Tuq-Xq4
The little $60 bounty hunter nails that test.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a CZ-3d that was a coin killer....it would hammer on deep silver dimes. But it would hammer on deep, rusty, bent square nails too....
If you search for deep signals...you will dig nails on occasion. If you don't like the performance of your Vaquero, get rid of it....

i did not say i did not like the performance of the vaquero. actually if you read and understood some of my past posts, i like the vaquero. just stated that it does not discriminate out all nails. why is it, if you do not have absolute praise all the time with tesoro's. people jump right down your throat. you just said yourself you will dig nails on occasion. jesus, thats all i freaking said also. it dont disc out all nails. you people need to calm the heck down. you cant swing any tesoro over a dead cat and bring it back to life either... lol. but, im sure some will argue that fact also.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did not say i did not like the performance of the vaquero. actually if you read and understood some of my past posts, i like the vaquero. just stated that it does not discriminate out all nails. why is it, if you do not have absolute praise all the time with tesoro's. people jump right down your throat. you just said yourself you will dig nails on occasion. jesus, thats all i freaking said also. it dont disc out all nails. you people need to calm the heck down. you cant swing any tesoro over a dead cat and bring it back to life either... lol. but, im sure some will argue that fact also.
How long has the cat been dead?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the Minelab forum and post about how slow the Etrac or explorer is and see what kind of replies you get......

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the Minelab forum and post about how slow the Etrac or explorer is and see what kind of replies you get......

i dont own another machine. so, i do not go on them. looking at getting an xp deus next year and do go on that one to read what people are talking about with them though. just seems a few on here must sleep with their detectors and do something more with them than detect, the way they freak out over the least little thing. maybe getting themselves a woman or something would help. there is no perfect detector, not even tesoros. so, if they can't come to grips with that realistic fact. they are beyond any rational reasoning. LOL. i like my vaquero detector. i just think the way tesoro deals with some things is a joke. like loving this country. but, hating it's government.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His name Is Keith Southern and he is highly respected in the metal detecting industry....he receives/test new machines before the general public. But I'm sure if you give him a call he could learn a thing or two from you.....
Wait a minute just the other day you said videoes mean nothing to you, but are you saying they should to me? He likes Tesoro's and makes videos that are more like commercials for tesoro. Did you watch the video I put up it would save you a ton on the tejon.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has ANYBODY, and I mean ANY other Tesoro Vaquero owner or user EVER found the above statement to be true? The Vaquero's discrimination is one of THE best on the market. C'mon Atomic, try and stay factual! :skullflag:

Everyone knows that I use and try a lot of different brands of detectors and without question, Tesoro has the best discrimination that I've ever used.

tabman

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute just the other day you said videoes mean nothing to you, but are you saying they should to me? He likes Tesoro's and makes videos that are more like commercials for tesoro. Did you watch the video I put up it would save you a ton on the tejon.
I don't like or have faith in most videos.....however, Keith Southen's videos show no brand loyalty and if you do a little research you will see that he has good things to say about most brands if they perform accordingly. Plus I prefer his videos because his dirt there is similar to mine and machines seem to perform similar(depth wise).

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like or have faith in most videos.....however, Keith Southen's videos show no brand loyalty and if you do a little research you will see that he has good things to say about most brands if they perform accordingly. Plus I prefer his videos because his dirt there is similar to mine and machines seem to perform similar(depth wise).

You need to watch the one where he compares the vaquero and runs the atpro in standard mode and tell me how that's a fair comparison. Then again you did like the on where the minelab is ran in auto instead of the deeper manual mode. I guess if it suits your current arguement it's a good video. I get it.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to watch the one where he compares the vaquero and runs the atpro in standard mode and tell me how that's a fair comparison. Then again you did like the on where the minelab is ran in auto instead of the deeper manual mode. I guess if it suits your current arguement it's a good video. I get it.

Find and post that video.....because I highly doubt that it is a Keith Southern video.....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith is unbiased in his videos, but does not do Minelab videos.....as for those I will put my faith in the ones by '53 Silver....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread