That Close? What We'll Do For Just a Few More Inches...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So one of the places I've been hunting lately has been producing deep targets pretty well, old coins and some jewelry but everything deep in that 14-18” range, though still no firm bottom, just all sand and silt, etc. However, after some of these deeper recoveries I'll take an extra scoop or two just to see how close I might be to a firm layer of bottom and sure enough I'll start hitting gravel and rock just a few more inches down. It's driving me crazy because I know that's where most of the good stuff is going to be, just inches out of my reach......:BangHead:

So I'm thinking to myself, “a 15x18” coil might do it?” But man, I hate to think about swinging that thing against all of that additional drag all day long. I'm not a big guy and if I get in to a big of rush swinging the 12 x 15” the resistance can actually cause me to start spinning....:laughing7:

A harness, those always help, but it's my wrist that ends up taking the real beating after a long water hunt with the 12x15" so I can only imagine the added strain a 15x18" is going to create. So, anybody know of a really good wrist support? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I have severe arthritis and have to wrap every moving joint before I start hunting. I've tried many types of braces and the only thing I've found that really helps and doesn't hinder my detecting is the type brace I find at most drug stores that is made of similar type material as a wet suit. It's a neoprene type wrap. It's the type that looks like a strip maybe eight inches long and has a hole cut out for my thumb at one end and a Velcro piece at the other end. I put my thumb through the hole then wrap and fasten. The reason I like it is I can stretch it as tight as I need it when I wrap my wrist. Some days I wear it loose and others I pull it tight enough that I can't bend my wrist. It greatly helps but doesn't hinder my detecting or grip.

Probably a lot better out there, but when my wrist was injured, I used a skateboard wrist protection thingy to keep playing. I just removed the long rigid the palm guard. It was made of some kind of synthetic leather with a thumbhole and was very rigid re my wrist.. I know bowlers occasionally use something, so I'd look into those too.

I just bought a Mueller Wrist Stabilizer so we'll see how that works out? Got roughly 36'000 sq. yards of water and bottom to hunt.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back