That Close? What We'll Do For Just a Few More Inches...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So one of the places I've been hunting lately has been producing deep targets pretty well, old coins and some jewelry but everything deep in that 14-18” range, though still no firm bottom, just all sand and silt, etc. However, after some of these deeper recoveries I'll take an extra scoop or two just to see how close I might be to a firm layer of bottom and sure enough I'll start hitting gravel and rock just a few more inches down. It's driving me crazy because I know that's where most of the good stuff is going to be, just inches out of my reach......:BangHead:

So I'm thinking to myself, “a 15x18” coil might do it?” But man, I hate to think about swinging that thing against all of that additional drag all day long. I'm not a big guy and if I get in to a big of rush swinging the 12 x 15” the resistance can actually cause me to start spinning....:laughing7:

A harness, those always help, but it's my wrist that ends up taking the real beating after a long water hunt with the 12x15" so I can only imagine the added strain a 15x18" is going to create. So, anybody know of a really good wrist support? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have severe arthritis and have to wrap every moving joint before I start hunting. I've tried many types of braces and the only thing I've found that really helps and doesn't hinder my detecting is the type brace I find at most drug stores that is made of similar type material as a wet suit. It's a neoprene type wrap. It's the type that looks like a strip maybe eight inches long and has a hole cut out for my thumb at one end and a Velcro piece at the other end. I put my thumb through the hole then wrap and fasten. The reason I like it is I can stretch it as tight as I need it when I wrap my wrist. Some days I wear it loose and others I pull it tight enough that I can't bend my wrist. It greatly helps but doesn't hinder my detecting or grip.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a lot better out there, but when my wrist was injured, I used a skateboard wrist protection thingy to keep playing. I just removed the long rigid the palm guard. It was made of some kind of synthetic leather with a thumbhole and was very rigid re my wrist.. I know bowlers occasionally use something, so I'd look into those too.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Mueller Wrist Stabilizer so we'll see how that works out? Got roughly 36'000 sq. yards of water and bottom to hunt.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread