THE ATP CANT SEPERATE BETWEEN COINS AND SILVER/CLAD

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am slowly advancing in the process of convincing myself to dig anything above iron, provided it doesn't bounce more than 2 or 3 units on the VDI.

I have learned that can slaw, flat cans, beavertails, and smashed aluminum screwcaps all bounce quite a bit.

But if it's just the ring of a pulltab (modern or old) it's pretty consistent. It seems like shape has as much to do with signal characteristics as material does. Round is consistent.

If I dig only consistent (no more than 2 or 3 units of VDI bounce) targets, I can save the trouble of digging a lot of junk, and still get the majority of nickles and jewelry.

I dig everything that's consistent in two directions - even if the VDI on those directions is very different.

I dug a dime last night that was vertical in the ground. It rang up as 82 in one direction (Teknetics Delta 4000), and 45 in the other. Both were consistent within 2-3 units.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Because it tells you whats in that area....If I went off only digging hightones, I would have about a 50 gallon drum of Alum. .
.. 50 Gal drum of Alum. That would be a big pay day at the scrap yard.. I would like to have a 50 gal drum of alum…… I just took 4…. . 33 gal garbage bags of crushed alum beer & pop cans and scrap alum i dug up to the scrap yard and got $62.00 for them……And my grand son said all that money for that alum. i said yes sir here is $62.00 for you..He liked that..

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but you have to watch those silver dimes that come up at 77 VDI on my machine which is low, I think its not 90% silver but not far off 90% like it should be I have one I dug in an old spot that's a 1905 S barber dime it even looks a little different on how its tarnished a little. Some places that are real old you might dig all clean sounding signals as even I might have passed up a gold coin as they don't VDI like silver at all. HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then you get that old deep crusty iron that can ring in high on the atp. Aluminum has caused me to miss many targets I am sure. Depending on the site I dig everything at first then start cherry picking out the better signals once I am sure.
One place I hunt I had passed over an old iron signal all the time because I had dug a pile of junk right near it before. I always hit that signal and knew it was there but skipped it for greener pastures cause it was iron. One day there I went ahead and dug it and it was a ladder sight from a confederate enfield.Cleaned up well.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies also read the same as silver dimes.

It all depends on the machine....on the atpro a silver dime will be a higher number(around 88) than a copper penny or clad dime....i have "called" silver oon the last 10 dimes and 2 rings i have dug with it. But i have had surprises also....a tilted coin can fool you. A clad quarter usually hits 85-86 but gives a bigger bolder sound....whereas the silver dime will sound of very soft and smooth.

Last edited:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug two 1/2 reale this year, an 1817 and a 1779. I thought they were pennies because they showed 78-79 on the VDI. I don't pass - up pennies signal anymore.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end the VDI numbers are just a programmers half educated guesses.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guilty of the same thing after digging a pouch full of pennies. You sure can miss some good finds by passing them up. I would dig them all if there's some history in the area though.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guilty of the same thing after digging a pouch full of pennies. You sure can miss some good finds by passing them up. I would dig them all if there's some history in the area though.
Not many of us haven't skipped a few pennies on certain days in certain areas.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig everything 45 and up that is repeatable even one way...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincolns 76...wheats, copper pennies and clad dimes 82...silver dimes 84.........clad quarters 88...silver quarters 90...things Ive dug that read the same as zincolns...silver rings, tokens, 1911 Canadian large cent, just to name a few.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is my stand. Dig 'em all. In my mind, if I dig 5000 pieces of trash and get one key date IH it was all worth it. I just set my AT to Pro all-metal and dig dig dig. Everyplace is of historic quality here in New England. :thumbsup:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Copper Culture Artifacts ring up exactly the same as a copper Penny, I love people that don't dig those signals.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My copper culture artifacts are pieces of water pipe. Lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to know what it is before I dig,I don't dig every signal.when I come into a new spot I like to clear out the dimes and quarters,clad and silver first then clean up the gold.what's your method for digging signals

Whatever method "You" like the best is the best ' For You'
So dig as you wish.

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector's VDI (identification) is the developer's best guess as to what a target is, based on the signal characteristics that are returned by the target. They are provided as essentially a guess. They are effected by many things, including:

Other metals proximal to the target.
Soil conditions.
Moisture conditions.
Orientation of the target to the coil.
Depth
Target Shape
Penetration of surface oxides into the soil.

It is an extremely complex set of conditions through which the developer must sift, and develop an algorithm to present a target ID. The developer knows full well that his presumptive identification of the target is not foolproof. It is well understood by all detector manufacturers (and I thought all experienced users) that the VDI indication was simply a guide, and not a guarantee.

I'm not an AT Pro user. But I've seen and handled one. I would suggest that it's VDI accuracy is no different that my Fisher F70 (or in fact ANY detector, no matter the cost). XP Deus and CTX 3030's have the same general liabilities in trying to identify a target as Garrett and Fisher do with their detectors. And in spite of the loyalties of the respective fan bases of each of these detectors, anything with a retail price over $500 has essentially the same statistical likelihood of giving a proper target ID.

If you insist on absolute 100% accurate target ID, I'd suggest hunting with Superman or some other superhero equipped with Xray vision.

Short of that, you'll just have to dig all the coins, and sort them out later like the rest of us.

I could not have typed it better myself..
Good Job

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. 50 Gal drum of Alum. That would be a big pay day at the scrap yard.. I would like to have a 50 gal drum of alum…… I just took 4…. . 33 gal garbage bags of crushed alum beer & pop cans and scrap alum i dug up to the scrap yard and got $62.00 for them……And my grand son said all that money for that alum. i said yes sir here is $62.00 for you..He liked that..

Yeah Man !!!

Like some say " Metal is Money"

Getting most of the dirt out/off is the hardest part.
&
I don't mind Digging Brass/Copper Scraps 'that much' at all.

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincolns 76...wheats, copper pennies and clad dimes 82...silver dimes 84.........clad quarters 88...silver quarters 90...things Ive dug that read the same as zincolns...silver rings, tokens, 1911 Canadian large cent, just to name a few.

Those VDI #s Sound Just like Whites XLT ones IMO.
Davers:thumbsup:
also
IMO What I dig "#'s or Sounds" Really depends on 'The Site'

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread