THE ATP CANT SEPERATE BETWEEN COINS AND SILVER/CLAD

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincolns 76...wheats, copper pennies and clad dimes 82...silver dimes 84.........clad quarters 88...silver quarters 90...things Ive dug that read the same as zincolns...silver rings, tokens, 1911 Canadian large cent, just to name a few.

This sounds exactly what I get here only the zincs can ring in from 75-79 and clad quarters ring in at 84-86.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds exactly what I get here only the zincs can ring in from 75-79 and clad quarters ring in at 84-86.
Yeah, zincolns with corrosion will come in higher and lower than 76.

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can dig then dig it. The scrap is getting heavy and the items are increasing.
Coin jar getting full and waist line going down.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone, tone, tone, then VDI. But if you are not willing to dig the "wrong" VDI, or just dig trashy signals, you are going to miss a lot. I wouldn't have dug 2/3 of the IHC's I dug this year if I went by VDI. And I would have missed a number of the silvers. I almost think if anybody ever asks me too help them pick a detector to start with, I'll recommend a machine with no VDI, just tones.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost think if anybody ever asks me too help them pick a detector to start with, I'll recommend a machine with no VDI, just tones.

I still swear to this day that I have found more good targets with an old Tesoro than any new Fisher or Garrett that I have had. I cant remember the name of my old Tesoro now but it looked very much like the current Lobo, but it had a round coil and it wasn't a gold detector. Back then, that MD was a dream to use. It was light, well-balanced, and rugged. The more you swing, the more you find. Audio is everything. I'd love to see a top-end detector that is so audio excellent, that it becomes the new buzzword in our community.

Oh wait... we have one. Its called the Deus. I'll be getting one right after Christmas. My wife gets funny about anyone buying something for themselves before Christmas. No biggie. It aint like I'll be doing much ground-pounding with it right now anyway - its snowing right now as I type this.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still swear to this day that I have found more good targets with an old Tesoro than any new Fisher or Garrett that I have had. I cant remember the name of my old Tesoro now but it looked very much like the current Lobo, but it had a round coil and it wasn't a gold detector. Back then, that MD was a dream to use. It was light, well-balanced, and rugged. The more you swing, the more you find. Audio is everything. I'd love to see a top-end detector that is so audio excellent, that it becomes the new buzzword in our community.

Oh wait... we have one. Its called the Deus. I'll be getting one right after Christmas. My wife gets funny about anyone buying something for themselves before Christmas. No biggie. It aint like I'll be doing much ground-pounding with it right now anyway - its snowing right now as I type this.

I have the AT Pro now, but previous detector was a Bandido. Nothing fancy, you had to listen. Funny thing is, I generally run the AT Pro on Pro All Metal notching out anything below 35 or 40. And I listen. I like having the VDI, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
VDI numbers, as is audio, colors or anything else you want to extrapolate to the various changes the receiving coil observes are all just a probability, based on US coins and other typical targets common and sought after. These are programmed in a lab, under ideal conditions. Because there are so many existing variables from one matrix soil to another, EMI and many other mentioned variables, and the fact that countless junk mimics the same conductivity of good targets, there is only one way find out what's under that coil, and that is to dig it.

And after you dig thousands of junk targets, you begin learn how to distinguish large targets from small targets, shallow targets from deep ones and become sensitized to those nice soft whispers, which often times turn out to be the "BEST" targets. The best odds working for you are based on your experience using a machine. And I am talking about hundreds of hours.

"When you get to the point of learning your metal detector to the point where you tell it what's under that coil, not the other way around.....then you have mastered it well!"

pro pointer snowman.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think of the VDI numbers as a "best guess" reading. I listen to the tones and dig everything that sounds good. Unfortunately, many of the goodies we seek live among the trash.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to John...:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread