The easement queen strikes again... Awesome find in under an hour. Sooo excited!!

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, for those of you that know me, you know that easements are my thing. I don't usually do well at parks, ball fields, lakes or any of the "normal" places that many of you all get excited about. I am uncertain why, but every bit of gold and old coins i've found has been in an easement, and I promise its not for a lack of trying.

At any rate, I woke up this morning and my digger (boyfriend) says, "let's go metal detecting, I've got a good feeling about today". I ask where he wants to go and he doesn't know. We have this system see... we decide on a place, then while en route I'll get a feeling and totally go outside of the plan. We hadn't been using the system lately and well, the finds have definitely been reflecting this. Don't get me wrong, I love to detect, but there are only so many pennies and beer tabs one wants to find before they find something better to do with their time. That being said, I decided that we needed to get back on track. Almost 4 hours later, he finally answers me and awaaaayyyy we go. So we're cruisin down the highway and I'm thinkin about some research I did awhile back on the history of Tulsa. I get that little tingle...you all know the one I mean. Funny, he doesn't even ask. This site does have it all though, park, one of the first schools in the area. A newer school building, city bus stop, a nearby creek, and a church across the street. I head for the easement, as I am wont to do. We find a few old pipe fittings, pop bottle caps, and what appears to be a vienna sausage can. At this point, he is encouraging me to go the other direction to the park, all the while I am heading for the bus stop on the corner, directly across from the church. He wanders along behind me, wishing I'd change my mind. I think he said something about how trashy the corner is likely to be, but I'm involved in swingin ma coil. We find a few more bottle caps, about .30 in clad a few pins (which I can only assume came from the electric pole above), then get I a signal at the top end of the Ace 250. I figure its something else related to the pole, considering that it is ringing up so high and it seems fairly large, (I don't keep my sensitivity above a 3). The boy pulls out a plug and still in the hole is the biggest coin I've ever seen, initially, I thought it might be some kind of token (which is also on my list), but as I pull it out of the hole, this is what I found. This has been on my list. It has some damage to the rim, almost like it was placed in a vice, but the detail is absolutely beautiful for a 133 year old coin. Liberty is intact and the eagle feathers are stunning.The mint is an S. I detected for a few more minutes, hammered the area I found it, but found nothing else of interest. We decided to pack it in, didn't think we'd get much better than this today.

Thanks for reading and HH

Attachments

• Dollar Back.jpg
    Dollar Back.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 975
  • Dollar Front.jpg
    Dollar Front.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,011
Upvote 35
OP
OP
BixbyTreasure

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your congratulations. I was pretty stoked. I have found all different sorts of things, but for some reason the old coins are my favorite. They get me wondering about the person that lost it I suppose.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgans are my fantasy piece. Haven't found one yet.

When I was a kid, these cartwheels were our favorite coins. They were heavy in a good sense. They bought 2, count em 2, boxes of 22 shells or 10 bottles of soda. They were wealth by 9 year old standards.

They have a beautiful ringing sound when "flipped" into the air with your thumb. If you had one, chances are none of your buddies did.

And they are beautiful.

Nice job, Bix! Go Girl!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, would love to find something like that!

What exactly do you mean by easement, the area between the road and sidewalk?

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. That is one that is still on my list.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice coin find there :treasurechest:, Been detecting for 30 plus years still on my wish list, found tons of soda cans tho :laughing7: ya never know the one time I don't dig that maybe it.

CARM

OP
OP
BixbyTreasure

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, I didn't know that they might be called something else. Yes, I'm using the word easement in the sense of the strip between the road and the sidewalk. Technically there is more to it, but for my searching (and yours too) purpose, that is what I'm referring to. I am interested in knowing what you all call this area in your part of the world though. Thanks for asking.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on an excellent find. I call them curb strips and have had really good luck finding old coins there also.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats not to like about a chuck of 100+ years old silver:hello2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, I didn't know that they might be called something else. Yes, I'm using the word easement in the sense of the strip between the road and the sidewalk. Technically there is more to it, but for my searching (and yours too) purpose, that is what I'm referring to. I am interested in knowing what you all call this area in your part of the world though. Thanks for asking.

Yes, the area between the sidewalk and the street or road is an easement for Public Access (i.e. for facilitating sidewalks, handicap access ramps, Bus Stops, etc.)! However, an easement can also be for Public Utilities such as sewer and water lines, underground phone lines and underground electrical lines or an easement for access between two neighbors with adjoining properties.

Frank

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not sure what they are called in Cincinnati, maybe sidewalk strip? Never heard it called an easment though. Now I know! :)

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@BixbyTreasure,
Nice story and a great find. What has been the most productive easement areas for you? In front of certain types a buildings, corners etc? Give us the tips oh Queen ;)

OP
OP
BixbyTreasure

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, the queen thing was in jest Ricky, but in all honesty, across the street from old schools and churches if you can get there. I always and I do mean ALWAYS get beaten to the easements in front of the schools or churches, but it seems that most hunters get very focused on the building and not the surrounding area. Sorry if I've given away to much for other easement hunters. That being said, Ricky if I catch you hunting my easement...all the way from NY, your in BIG trouble.

jollyone

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bixby, I live in tulsa/ jenks and never even thought about hunting this area thanks for the tip I have been pounding the parks around my area for the last 5 months since I got my metal detector and have yet to find silver what a great find keeps me hopefull

OP
OP
BixbyTreasure

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly, you should come out with me sometime.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, the queen thing was in jest Ricky, but in all honesty, across the street from old schools and churches if you can get there. I always and I do mean ALWAYS get beaten to the easements in front of the schools or churches, but it seems that most hunters get very focused on the building and not the surrounding area. Sorry if I've given away to much for other easement hunters. That being said, Ricky if I catch you hunting my easement...all the way from NY, your in BIG trouble.

Thanks for the tips. BTW I have inlaw people in Bartlesville so whatch out!

HH

Rick

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Surveyors call them terraces.

You are still the queen.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions