🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just saw this post,congrats on a great find and the banner.You look like a fairly young guy in your photo so you may still have a few more finds of a life time under your coil.As far as what the experts think if your going to keep your coin just enjoy it for what it means to you.

Thank you! I'm not that young and much older than you may think. I would like to say that I am well preserved but I can feel it in my hips on the long marches in the woods that I am not the man I used to be.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an amazing find! I found one back in March 2008, and the title of my post was nearly the same as yours- very cool. It's an incredible feeling finding one of these, so I totally understand how you've felt. Very happy for you!

-- Jeff --

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks buddy. I was really hoping you'd share that painful experience. I think people just expect that these "professionals" will do a great job. But that's often times not the case. The misidentified variety really hit home for me. How's that possible? Even I can easily identify most of these coins. I know we open ourselves up to criticism sometimes by sharing stories or advice but it's important. It may save the next person from having to go through a similar experience.

Crazy story Silver Tree!

Here's why I don't assume people are "professionals" based on their employment.

When I was 15 (a kid), I got a job a Hechinger, which was a home improvement store similar to a Lowe's or Home Depot. I remember the first week I worked there, grown men were coming in to buy stuff and asking my advice on electrical work, painting, framing a shed, etc... just because I had a Hechinger's apron on :laughing7: I was a kid and certainly not qualified to answer questions or give advice, just because I worked at a hardware store.

Coin grading companies need to hire people too... and just because someone gets a job there, that doesn't make them a "professional". A carpenter, a painter or an electrician were WAY more qualified to answer the questions I was being asked, just because I worked at a company. Just as I am sure there are WAY more qualified people to grade and determine varieties on coins, other than the "professionals" who work at the coin grading services. Not saying they're all incompetent coin graders, but all the employees certainly don't have the same level of expertise, which is evident with Silver Trees experience.

I always chuckle when I see people suggest to send some item to "the professionals" for preservation, restoration, or grading. Unless I know the person or have references\reviews for the person, then I wouldn't consider them "professionals". We have some way more qualified people on this forum. I also laugh now when I'm at Lowes and over hear a guy 'picking the brain' of a high school aged employee, on how he should approach the house project he's working on over the weekend (happened last week!).

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy story Silver Tree!

When I was 15 (a kid), I got a job a Hechinger, which was a home improvement store similar to a Lowe's or Home Depot. I remember the first week I worked there, grown men were coming in to buy stuff and asking my advice on electrical work, painting, framing a shed, etc... just because I had a Hechinger's apron on :laughing7: I was a kid and certainly not qualified to answer questions or give advice, just because I worked at a hardware store.

Coin grading companies need to hire people too... and just because someone gets a job there, that doesn't make them a "professional". A carpenter, a painter or an electrician were WAY more qualified to answer the questions I was being asked, just because I worked at a company. Just as I am sure there are WAY more qualified people to grade and determine varieties on coins, other than the "professionals" who work at the coin grading services. Not saying they're all incompetent coin graders, but all the employees certainly don't have the same level of expertise, which is evident with Silver Trees experience.

I always chuckle when I see people suggest to send some item to "the professionals" for preservation, restoration, or grading. Unless I know the person or have references\reviews for the person, then I wouldn't consider them "professionals". We have some way more qualified people on this forum. I also laugh now when I'm at Lowes and over hear a guy 'picking the brain' of a high school aged employee, on how he should approach the house project he's working on over the weekend (happened last week!).

Well said. I cringe everytime people urge others to get colonial coins slabbed or restored. The reality is that 99% of these professionals do t handle rare colonial coins often. They rarely deal with colonials period. Then add the dug factor and you are asking for sorrow. My buddy works for Stacks on occasion helping them with large collections. He openly admits that the colonial stuff is very specific and there's a very small pool of people that he would trust with them. Dug coins are like some alien life form to them. They're used to seeing Grammys coin collection toon that was in his safe deposit box for 60 years. A beautiful dug coin is no comparison. So sending one to a person who looks at beautiful non dug coins for a living seems rather foolish to me.
I'm really glad SilverTreeChaser shared his experience. That's how we all learn. And I'm damn happy Brad isn't my lumber salesman lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like me.

"I scratched a Coin 22 years ago ":icon_thumleft:

Yea I 'Nailed ' several Minnies (For Important areas) 19 years ago ,17 years ago,& 3 years ago .

I've never got over those 'Dirt Kisses'

Also way over cleaned a 1903 O Barber in XF (my 1st Barber Coin) of 3 all Dimes.
& That still bothers me. That was in 1999.:icon_thumleft:???

Hence My attitude about "Cleaning". :usflag:

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an amazing find! I found one back in March 2008, and the title of my post was nearly the same as yours- very cool. It's an incredible feeling finding one of these, so I totally understand how you've felt. Very happy for you!

-- Jeff --

That's what they call the retirement coin.... nice find definatly a banner find

Sent from my SM-N920V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Incredible coin,,
Congratulations

Thank you all for the kind comments. Congratulations on your Pine Tree, Jeff! It's an incredible feeling! I think that's the common denominator for all of us who metal detect. We are all adrenaline junkies. We love that rush of adrenaline when you see something good in the hole. You don't know what it is yet, but you know it's good.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I'm not that young and much older than you may think. I would like to say that I am well preserved but I can feel it in my hips on the long marches in the woods that I am not the man I used to be.
AMEN Brother and it do SUCK

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy story Silver Tree!

100,000 years ago, I had a job at Home Depot. They as most Hardware stores had a professional (A Bernie Boy at HD) to answer all of those questions. They made more money than the average floor person. (I know, I was one of them) Just like HD or Lowes having an expert so should PCGS NGC ANACS? Certainly a rare and valuable Colonial would not go to the average floor person? One would hope not. Such is Life

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I scratched a Coin 22 years ago ":icon_thumleft:

Yea I 'Nailed ' several Minnies (For Important areas) 19 years ago ,17 years ago,& 3 years ago .

I've never got over those 'Dirt Kisses'

Also way over cleaned a 1903 O Barber in XF (my 1st Barber Coin) of 3 all Dimes.
& That still bothers me. That was in 1999.:icon_thumleft:???

Hence My attitude about "Cleaning". :usflag:

Im with you Dave. Cleaning is the kiss of death!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you suck! lol congrats!

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Donnie B do you know what this makes you? You are now a Metal Detecting Rock Star :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Donnie B do you know what this makes you? You are now a Metal Detecting Rock Star :icon_thumright:

Thanks but I don't know about that. Momma told me, when I was young, stand beside me my only son, and listen closely to what I say, and if you do this it will help you some sunny day, and be a simple kind of man......................

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Thanks but I don't know about that. Momma told me, when I was young, stand beside me my only son, and listen closely to what I say, and if you do this it will help you some sunny day, and be a simple kind of man......................

Holds bic lighter up :headbang:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to debate anyone who says they are not out there! It's a big country to hide little pieces of metal.

Agreed 100%. There's a lot of land and so much that's not been gone over. And even the land that's been hit, there are many gaps left behind. I base my hunts and dreams on the same premise as yours. But I'll take it further - there's more out there than what's been found. Venturing up to visit our mutual friend Abe, and the open forest I've seen there, makes you feel very small. With so much land, variables, and depths, there's no end to what's out there. True searchers of treasure are dreamers - it's out there as long as you have that wish in your heart. What a great hobby for those in it, and those join us in the future. As much as I'd like to tell those joining the hobby that there's nothing left (to keep away the competition), that's not the case. Great comment IP.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find:rocks: I think that if I ever found one,I'd be on the fence on what to do. I'd be scared to have it in my house for fear of losing it or getting stolen. Absolutey beautiful coin,now go find more:tchest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread